After getting one new iPad, the first thing you would like to do is to sync iPhone to iPad to copy important data especially the contacts. Since the contacts are needed if you want to send iMessages or make a Facetime call. Here in this guide, I’ll show you how to sync contacts from iPhone to iPad using iCloud, FoneTool, or AirDrop.
If you want to sync all contacts, you can turn on the Contacts sync in iCloud; If you want to transfer selected contacts, FoneTool can help you make it; If you just want to share one or two contacts, AirDrop the contacts is the quickest way.
The methods described in this article works for all iPhone/iPad models including iPhone 14/13/12/11/XR/XS/X/8/7S/7 & iPad Pro/Air/Mini.
Method 1. How to Sync Contacts from iPhone to iPad Using iCloud
iCloud is the official cloud storage service provided by Apple to help users store iOS data as well as sync data among devices. If you want to copy all contacts, then you can choose to sync contacts from iPhone to iPad using iCloud.
Once you have turned on the Contacts in iCloud, all your iPhone contacts will be synced to iCloud server. If you turn on Contacts on other devices that logged in with the same Apple ID, the contacts on that device will also be merged to iCloud. When you add or update a contact, iCloud makes the change everywhere.
On your iPhone: Go to Settings > Tap [your name] > iCloud > Turn on Contacts > When you're asked if you want to Merge or Cancel, tap Merge.
On your iPad: Do the same above to turn on the Contacts in iCloud.
Wait for the contacts on iPhone syncing to new iPad. If there are lots of contacts that need to be synced to iCloud server, it may take a while to finish. You can go to the Contacts app and pull down from the top of the screen to refresh the contacts.
Method 2. How to Transfer Contacts from iPhone to iPad without iCloud
iCloud only allows you to sync all contacts from iPhone to iPad so here comes another way to help you transfer selected contacts. FoneTool, one free iPhone backup manager, provides an easy way to help you transfer needed contacts from iPhone to iPad.
To transfer contacts: You can first preview and select the contacts you want to transfer > transfer the contacts to computer > then import the contacts to iPad from the computer. It will not erase any existing data on the device. Then you will not lose any contact information in this way.
It supports all models of iPhone and iPad and would be perfectly compatible with the latest iOS 16/15. Download the tool on your PC and follow the steps below to transfer contacts from iPhone to iPad.
1. Launch FoneTool > Connect your iPhone to computer via the USB cable > Tap “Trust” on the home screen to give your computer access to your iPhone.
2. Click Phone Transfer on the main interface. Move the mouse to iPhone to PC. Click Start Transfer.
3. Click the "+" icon> Select the Contacts you want to transfer and click OK to confirm. Click Start Transfer button > Select a storage path on your computer on Transfer Setting. And choose Vcard or CSV to save these contacts on your computer > Then click Transfer.
4. Unplug the iPhone and connect the iPad to computer. Click Phone Transfer > PC to iPhone.
5. You can click the "+" icon and choose the contacts you just exported. Then hit the Start Transfer button.
Method 3. How to Share Contacts from iPhone to iPad via AirDrop
If you just like to share one or two contacts from iPhone to iPad, the quickest way to make it is using AirDrop. Turn on the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on both iPhone and iPad. If either of the devices has Personal Hotspot on, please turn it off. See the steps below to share contacts from iPhone to iPad via AirDrop.
Turn on AirDrop on iPhone & iPad:
Open Control Center > Press and hold on the wireless control box > Tap AirDrop and choose Contacts Only, or Everyone. Or you can go to Settings app > General > Find AirDrop and turn it on.
◆ Note: If you choose “Contacts Only”, only your contacts can see your device. If you choose “Everyone”, all nearby Apple devices using AirDrop can see your device.
AirDrop Contacts from iPhone to iPad:
On your iPhone: Go to Contacts app > Find and tap the contact you’d like to share > Tap Share Contact option > Choose AirDrop > Choose your iPad.
On your iPad: Hit the Accept on your iPad to receive the contact > Go to Contacts app to check the shared contacts.
That’s all for how to sync contacts from iPhone to iPad. iCloud, FoneTool, and Airdrop can perform this. If you prefer a flexible way to transfer needed contacts, then FoneTool can be the best choice. It lets you preview and select the contacts you want to transfer to iPad. Besides contacts, it also lets you transfer messages, photos, songs, and videos. Download FoneTool to discover more!
FoneTool Runs Perfectly on
- iOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPadOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPhone 14/14 Pro (Max), 13/13 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 12/12 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max)
- iPhone X/XR/XS/XS Max, iPhone 8/8 Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6/6s/6s Plus
- iPhone SE (1st, 2nd, 3rd generations)
- iPod touch 1/2/3/4/5/6/7
- All models of iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad Pro and iPad