iTunes helps us backup iPhone and if necessary, we can restore the backup back to iPhone when losing data. Besides, it’s also a workable way to transfer data from old iPhone to new iPhone. However, the restoration does not work smoothly as it is supposed to. You get a message saying that iPhone cannot restore backup:
“iTunes could not restore the iPhone because an error occurred.”
“iTunes could not restore the iPhone because an error occurred while reading.”
“iTunes could not restore the iPhone because an error occurred while writing to the iPhone.”
It does not give you any clues about the error or any suggestions you can do to fix it. Well, generally, when iTunes has no good explanation, you will receive the prompt that says “error occurred”. But don’t worry too much, in this guide, you will know what situation will cause the error and the solution to fix it.
Why iTunes Could Not Restore the iPhone?
Various situations can lead to the “iTunes could not restore the iPhone because an error occurred while reading or writing to the iPhone” problem. The following are the main reasons:
1. Connection problem between the iPhone and computer.
2. There is something wrong with the backup itself maybe it’s broken.
3. Not enough space on iPhone or computer.
4. The version of the iTunes is too old to perform the backup.
5. Security software has disturbed the computer's connection with iTunes.
How to Get Rid of iTunes Could Not Restore the iPhone Because an Error Occurred Message
The following are all the potential methods that you can have a try to troubleshoot the problem when it says "iTunes could not restore the iPhone because an error occurred".
Although you can take action to solve "iTunes could not restore the iPhone because an error occurred" issue this time, you may encounter the same problem or other annoying problems next time. iTunes just comes with all kinds of problems. To easily backup and restore your iPhone, you can turn to iTunes alternative for iPhone.
Solution 1. Restart Your Computer and iPhone
Sometimes a simple restart can solve the problem. So restart your computer and iPhone first to see if the problem disappears. If not, try other methods below.
Solution 2. Check the USB Connection
The improper functioning of the USB may lead to iTunes could not restore the iPhone because an error occurred problem. Here are some suggestions:
- Use the Apple-certified USB cable instead of other cheap ones.
- Try other USB ports to see if it’s the issue with the port.
- Disconnect other USB devices connected to computer.
- Directly connect your iPhone to the computer’s USB port. Not into an attached keyboard or USB hub.
Solution 3. Delete the Corrupt Backup
The iTunes cannot restore the iPhone error will occur when the backup is corrupt. You can delete the corrupt backup files and try again.
△ Where you can find the backup files:
For PC: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
For Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
Solution 4. Free up Space
The restoration requires enough storage space. If your backup is 7GB, you should have 8GB of free space on your disk. Otherwise, you may meet the iTunes could not restore the iPhone because an error occurred issue.
To free up computer’s storage space, you can move the old iTunes backup to an external hard drive or just delete them if you are sure you will never need them in the future.
Solution 5. Update iTunes to the Latest Version
The old version of iTunes can cause many problems. So you’d better make sure the iTunes version is the latest. To update iTunes: Click Help on the menu bar on Windows PC or click iTunes on Mac > Select Check for Updates to make it.
Solution 6. Check Security Software
If you have security software installed on computer, go to have a check whether there are some functions that will disturb your computer's connection with iTunes. Disable the function or uninstall the security software if necessary.
Bonus Tip: Another Easy Way to Backup and Restore iPhone
From the above, we have talked about the method to fix the “iTunes could not restore the iPhone because an error occurred” problem. If you are lucky, one of the above methods can help you get out of trouble. However, even though you have solved the problem this time, you may meet other errors next time. So why not try another easy way to backup iPhone?
Click the download button to get the iTunes alternative for iPhone and see how to use it.
Example: How to Backup iPhone to Computer/External Hard Drive/USB
1. Launch FoneTool and plug in your iPhone.
2. Click Phone Backup > Choose Selective Backup. If you want to backup all content and settings, please choose Full Backup option to make it.
3. Select the files you want to backup > Click OK to continue.
4. Select a storage path (local drive, external hard drive or USB flash drive) > Click Start Backup in the lower-right corner. Your task would be completed in seconds.
When the backup is complete, you can manage your backup tasks in Backup History page. Here you can view the backup files, create an incremental backup, restore backup to device or delete the backup.
That’s all for how to fix the “iTunes could not restore the iPhone because an error occurred” issue. Does this passage solve your problem? If so, you could share it to help more people.
To avoid such iTunes problems, you can choose to backup iPhone with FoneTool. Compared to iTunes, it’s more flexible. And the user-friendly interface makes it possible for everyone to handle. In addition, it also supports data transfer between iPhone and computer. Go for it now and discover more by yourself!
FoneTool Runs Perfectly on
- iOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPadOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPhone 14/14 Pro (Max), 13/13 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 12/12 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max)
- iPhone X/XR/XS/XS Max, iPhone 8/8 Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6/6s/6s Plus
- iPhone SE (1st, 2nd, 3rd generations)
- iPod touch 1/2/3/4/5/6/7
- All models of iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad Pro and iPad