Content of this article:
What is client-server backup and how to achieve it
The client-server model (or architecture) is a distributed application framework dividing tasks between servers and clients through a computer network or the Internet. And client-server network backup usually refers to backing up multiple sources of data to a central server.
In such model, the central server gets controls of multiple client computers and send commands to manage them; the client computers accept the commands through a set of common interfaces and data exchange protocols. Thus, the administrator can achieve backup jobs for multiple client computers with only one setup on the central server, eliminating the need for separate operations.
But, how can you implement this client-server backup model? In today's world, the importance of backup cannot be overstated. And for such a critical daily task, using centralized backup software is an effecient as well as economical solution. Now let's take a look at the following example.
Best client server backup software - AOMEI Centralized Backupper
AOMEI Centralized Backupper (ACB) is one of the best client server backup software that can help you centralized backup server 2012/2016/2019/2020 etc as well as Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista, and remotely monitor backup jobs for all client computers from a central console.
The entire process is simple and intuitive. You just need to get control of all client computers, select backup types and make specific settings, then create and execute the task. The created task can also be managed centrally.
With this software, you will benefit from the following features and therefore save time & administrative expenses:
All-in-one backup strategy: It supports 4 basic backup types - "File Backup", "Partition Backup", "System Backup", "Disk Backup", and the newly introduced "SQL Server Backup".
Multiple sync solutions: It is capable of making an exact copy of files by 3 different solutions, namely, "Basic Sync", "Real-Time Sync" and "Mirror Sync".
Hot backup: It's able to backup open files and runing programs without terminating them, nor interrupting operations on client computers.
Network backup: Centrally backing up all client computers to network share or NAS to greatly reduce local disaster, such as, server crashes, hard disk failure, virus attack etc.
Complete backup features: It includes "Settings" for backup compression, encryption, splitting, etc. "Schedule" for daily/weekly/monthly backup and incremental/differential backup. "Scheme" for backup retention policy.
Centralized management: It enables you to create, monitor, edit, delete, execute backup tasks centrally, or restore data from it directly.
If you need an effective client-server backup software, feel free to enjoy this 30-day free trial:
How to perform client server backup with easy-to-use software
To create client server backup with the software, you need to download and install AOMEI Centralized Backupper on the host computer, and then install client programs on the client-side. You can either install it manually from AOMEI Centralized Backupper package or use "Install client program" feature to install client program remotely.
- After installing the software properly, launch AOMEI Centralized Backupper on the central server, and click "Computers" -> "Uncontrolled Computers" to select all the client computers you want to backup within LAN.
- Then click "Request Control" -> "By sending a message" to send a request to all the selected computers. After they click "Agree" to confirm, you can proceed to create a client-server backup task.
Now, you can start to create client backup for Server 2019, 2016, 2012, etc. on the central server.
1. Click "Tasks" -> "New Task" and then select a backup type according to your needs. Here take "File Backup" as an example.
2. In Step 1, click "+ Add Computers" to make choices from all the controlled client computers.
3. In Step 2, you can "Select items based on each client" or "Select items based on backup rules". The former requires you to manually select what to back up on each computer, while the latter specifies a uniform backup rule. Then, click "Add" to specify the source data.
4. Click on Step 3, and hit “Add Storage” in the popping out window to input "Share or NAS path" and "Diskplay Name". Then you can select a target folder from the added storage.
5. At the lower-left corner of the setup page, you can see 3 backup features, namely "Settings", "Schedule" and "Scheme". Make use of them as you need, then click "Start Backup" to create and execute the task.
With the help of best client server backup software for Windows PCs and servers - AOMEI Centralized Backupper, you can create Windows Server 2012/2016/2019/2020 and Windows 10/8/7 client backup easily and quickly. It supports complete backup and sync solutions, including "File Backup", "System Backup", "Disk Backup", "Real-Time Sync", "Mirror Sync" etc and multiple useful features, such as, normal or hight compression level, scheduled backup, incremental/differential backup, backup scheme, and more.
In addition to normal computer data, this software also includes a SQL Server Backup feature. It allows you to backup or restore multiple SQL databases at once, thanks to the functionality of centralized backup software, you can even restore database to another SQL Server on another client computer.