How to Recover Deleted M2TS Files
How to recover deleted M2TS files? The easiest and most effective method is to use data recovery software. I’ll introduce you to one such software. Also, taking some precautions is necessary.
What Is the M2TS File Format?
M2TS, also known as MPEG-2 Transport Stream or BDAV (Blu-ray Disc Audio-Video), is a video container format commonly used to store high-definition videos on Blu-ray discs, AVCHD, hard drives, and other devices.
It will compress the video, audio, and metadata, primarily related to AVCHD footage recorded by camcorders. The Video compressions support H.262/MPEG-2 Part 2 H.264/MPEG-4/MPEG-4 AVC codecs, while audio formatting uses Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD. For optimizing the storage size, it uses Variable Rate (VBR) Transport Streams.
1. M2TS is developed by Blu-Ray Disc Association, which was introduced in 2004 and consists of several major companies, such as Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Hitachi, Samsung Electronics, etc.
2. The footage recorded in AVCHD is saved as .mts but converted to .m2ts when transferred to your system. And it can be played on the devices supporting playback of AVCHD, such as Sony PlayStation 3s, Sony Bravia TVs, Western Digital WDTVs, Xtreamer media player, etc.
Reasons for M2TS File Deletion
M2TS files can be unintentionally deleted due to various reasons. Here are some common reasons behind M2TS data loss:
- One of the most common causes is accidental deletion, where you might have clicked the Delete button while organizing your files.
- Additionally, file system errors can also lead to deleted M2TS files.
- In some cases, formatting your device without a backup, such as receiving the error message “format the disk beforeyou can use it” while inserting your device, can also result in the loss of your important M2TS video files.
- Sometimes, you may plug your device into a system containing viruses or malware, causing M2TS file deletion or corruption.
- If your system suddenly shut down during the editing process, you may lose your M2TS files.
Increase Data Recovery Success Rate
If you have accidentally deleted M2TS files, there are steps you can take to increase the chances of successful data recovery.
√ The most important thing is to stop using the storage device immediately. For example, don’t capture new videos using your digital camcorder or video camera. It helps to prevent data overwriting.
√ Try the data recovery method with the highest success rate first. Every attemp will reduce the success rate of data recovery.
√ Act promptly to recover deleted M2TS files. The more time passes, the more likely files will be overwritten, which make data recovery more difficult.
How to Recover Deleted M2TS Files
In fact, there are many useful methods for M2TFS file recovery, but in comparison, using data recovery software such as MyRecover has the highest success rate. With the help of its two advanced scanning methods, it will scan your disk thoroughly in Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10, Windows 11, etc. and search all the deleted or lost files for data recovery.
- Retrieve deleted or lost M2TS video files from camcorder devices like Sony Handycam, Canon VIXIA, Panasonic HD camcorders, and JVC Everio.
- Support a wide range of video formats, such as M2T, MTS, M2TS, AVI, MPEG, MPT, MOB, MKV, WMV, etc.
- Filter file types like videos quickly. You can also set the date modified and size.
- Keep the recovered files with their original file name, path, format, and quality, depending on the storage device you are using.
- Multiple storage devices compatible, including internal or external disk, USB drive, memory card, etc.
In addition, the software does not require technical expertise and is friendly to novices, making the recovery process seamless. Please download this professional Windows data recovery software to have a try!
Step 1. Launch Windows data recovery software - MyRecover. Then, select your disk and click Start Scan.
Step 2. It will run Quick Scan and Deep Scan automatically to find out all the deleted M2TS files. To locate them quickly, use the Filter feature or go to the original location in the left panel.
Step 3. Select your desired files and then click Recover x files to recover deleted M2TS files. You will then be asked to select a location. Please select a new location instead of the original location to prevent potential data overwriting.
- The restore button will display the number of selected files and their full size. You can use it to determine the integrity of the recovered files.
- You can perform M2TS file recovery for free, up to 30MB. Once exceeded, please upgrade to the advanced editions.
- In addition, you still can use this software to recover different file types, such as Recover deleted X3F, 3FR, WMV, DBF, ASPX, LAB, etc.
If you fail to recover deleted M2TS files using software or the situation is complex, it's wise to seek help from data recovery services, such as Geek Squad. They usually employ experienced specialists and own advanced equipment to handle even the most challenging data recovery scenarios.
How to Open M2TS Files on a Windows PC
You may receive an error message like “Windows cannot open this file” if you try to open the M2TS file directly on a Windows PC. It requires a specified program in the following:
- Microsoft Windows Media Player
- File Viewer Plus
- Roxio Creator NXT Pro 7
- CyberLink PowerDVD 20
- MAGIX VEGAS Pro 18
- VideoLAN VLC media player
To open M2TS files, locate and right-click it, and select Open with and the desired program, such as VideoLAN VLC media player.
Prevention Measures for M2TS File Deletion
You may not want to lose any important M2TS video files. To avoid the heartache of losing your precious M2TS files in the future, follow these preventive measures:
1. Regular backups: Keep backups of your M2TS files on an external hard drive, network drive, cloud storage, etc using a reliable Windows backup software like AOMEI Backupper Standard.
2. Keep at least 3 backup copies and save them on two different devices. It ensures you always have an available backup even if one of them is damaged or deleted.
3. Run antivirus software regularly: Scan your disk and remove any suspicious files or software to protect your system or storage device safe and minimize the risk of M2TS file deletion as much as possible.
4. Use a UPS (Uninterrupted Energy Supply): In fact, it is essentially a battery backup and gives you some time to save your files during a power outage.
5. Be cautious while handling files: Double-check before deleting any files, and avoid formatting storage devices without proper backup.
Losing M2TS files can be distressing, especially when they hold cherished memories. But fear not, there are many methods to recover deleted M2TS files and the method with the highest success rate is to use data recovery software like MyRecover.
Remember to act quickly and be sure your data is not overwritten. Otherwise, your files will be much more difficult to recover. After data recovery, it’s suggested to backup your M2TS immediately and make it a habit in the future to prevent further data loss.