The case: Samsung Data Migration on non Samsung SSD
If you are using Samsung SSDs, you may be familiar with Samsung Data Migration. It is a data migration tool provided by Samsung to help users transfer OS to Samsung SSD. To use Samsung Data Migration, you must make sure that the source disk contains the operating system installation and the target disk is one of the series listed in the user manual, such as Samsung SSD 970 EVO/EVO Plus/Pro Series, Samsung SSD 960 EVO/ Pro Series.
If you are moving OS to non Samsung SSD, you may get an error that Samsung Data Migration shows “Please connect a Samsung SSD”. What can you do when Samsung Data Migration fails to clone to non Samsung SSD?
Free Samsung Data Migration alternative for non Samsung SSD
To migrate OS to non Samsung SSD, you need a reliable Samsung Data Migration alternative. AOMEI Backupper Standard, the best free disk clone software for Windows, comes to help.
With the Disk Clone feature, you can copy a system disk or data disk to HDDs or SSDs of various brands including Samsung, Crucial, PNY, WD, etc.
You can copy a specific partition using the Partition Clone function, such as copy NTFS partition.
All Windows PC operating systems like Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP are supported. If you are running Windows Server 2008, 2012, 2016, 2019, etc., you may choose AOMEI Backupper Server.
What's more, the cloning process will run in the background, so you can continue using your computer during the process. Wanna know how to clone OS to non Samsung SSD via AOMEI Backupper when Samsung Data Migration is not working? Please move on to the next part.
How to migrate OS to non Samsung SSD step by step
◈ Connect the target SSD to your computer and make sure it is detected. It is recommended to connect the SSD internally if there is an extra SSD slot inside your computer.
◈ Backup files on the destination SSD, because it will be overwritten during the cloning process.
◈ Download and install SSD cloning freeware - AOMEI Backupper Standard.
Detailed steps of transferring OS to non Samsung SSD:
Step 1. Run AOMEI Backupper. Click “Clone” on the left pane and select “Disk Clone”.
Both MBR and GPT are two different disk types for data storage. And you can check its disk properties in Disk Management if you don't know clearly. The overall steps are below:
- Press Win + R to open the Run window. Then, type diskmgmt.msc and hit OK to open disk management.
- Then, right-click the disk you want to clone and select Properties in the pop-up window.
- In the Properties window, select the Volume tab and confirm the partition style. It can be MBR (Master Boot Record) or GPT (GUID Partition Table).
- Similarly, check the disk partition tyle of the destination disk. If it is still MBR, you can clone hard drive to Samsung SSD for free. If not, please upgrade to the professional version and enjoy it.
Step 2. Select the system disk as the source disk and click “Next”.
Step 3. Select the destination SSD you have connected to your PC and click “Next”.
Step 4. Tick “SSD Alignment” to improve the performance of the target SSD. Confirm the operation and click “Start Clone”.
- Copy without resizing partitions: It will not resize the partition size.
- Add unused space to all partitions: It will reallocate the unallocated space to each partition of the target disk, appropriate for the disk size.
- Manually adjust partition size: It allows you to extend unallocated space to any partition on the destination disk you want.
- Convert the destination disk from MBR to GPT: It helps to convert the partition style of the destination disk if it is different from the source disk.
Step 5. After the cloning process is finished, you can either change boot order in BIOS or replace the source drive with the target SSD to boot from the target drive.
When you find Samsung Data Migration not working on non Samsung SSD, you can turn to the best free alternative—AOMEI Backupper. It can clone to HDDs or SSDs of nearly all common makes, and it supports both system disk and non-system disk as the source drive. With AOMEI Backupper, you can copy data from one hard drive to another without efforts. Don’t hesitate to give it a try and explore more wonderful features!