Need to clone a physical server
Nowadays, cloning has become more and more popular in computing. Cloning a physical server involves generating a fully operational copy or replica of your server, including the operating system and all its applications. You may want to clone a physical server for the following reasons:
- Upgrade hard drive on your server without reinstalling OS and applications from the scratch.
- Deploy the server image to another server so as to enjoy the same working environment.
- Virtualize a physical server so that you can do what-if analyses without doing harm to the physical server.
Then, how to clone a server easily and safely? A professional server cloning utility is required.
Best server cloning software for Windows Server 2019/2016/2012
If you are looking for a reliable server cloning tool, AOMEI Backupper Server can be your ideal choice. You can benefit a lot from its following features:
- Backup and Restore: you are allowed to create image files for the OS, disks, partitions, or individual files on your server. And you can restore them to their original location or restore to different hardware via bare metal recovery.
- Clone: you are enabled to make a 1:1 copy of the server OS, hard drive, or a particular partition. There won’t be image files generated, so you can access the replica of your server without the restoration process.
- Bootable Media: you are able to create a bootable CD/DVD/USB drive or export an ISO file to boot your server in the event of system crashes.
AOMEI Backupper runs well on both Windows Server operating systems (Windows Server 2019, 2016, 2012 (R2), 2008 (R2), 2003, etc) and Windows PC operating systems (Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP). Learn how to clone a physical server step by step below.
How to clone a physical server in two different cases
Here I’m going to show you two cases of cloning a physical server:
Case 1: Clone Windows Server to an SSD or a larger drive
If you are planning to upgrade the hard drive on your server, such as replace HDD with SSD or clone a smaller drive to a larger drive, you can follow the steps below:
Step 1. Connect the target disk to your server. If there are important files on it, backup files right now. Otherwise, you’ll lose them after clone.
Step 2. Run AOMEI Backupper. Click Clone from the left panel and select Disk Clone. If you only want to clone system partitions, then use System Clone.
Step 3. Choose the original hard drive on your server as the source disk and click Next.
Step 4. Choose the target disk you just connected and click Next. You’ll be prompted that the destination disk will be overwritten. Click OK to continue as we have made a backup in Step 1.
Step 5. Do more configurations according to your situation and click Start Clone to begin the cloning process.
Case 2: Clone physical machine to VMware
If you decide to convert a physical server to VMware virtual machine, follow the guidance below:
Step 1. Load AOMEI Backupper. Click Backup and select System Backup to create a system image of the physical server.
Step 2. After the backup process is finished, click Tools and select Create Bootable Media to export an ISO file.
Step 3. Launch VMware Workstation and click Create a New Virtual Machine. Then, follow the wizard to create a VM using the ISO file created by AOMEI Backupper.
Step 4. Start up the new virtual machine and you will enter into the main interface of AOMEI Backupper. Click Restore > Select Image File.
Step 5. Locate the system image file you just created and click OK.
Step 6. Select Restore this system backup and click Next.
Step 7. Select the hard drive on the VM as the destination path and click Next.
Step 8. The Universal Restore option is checked by default to ensure secure boot. Click Start Restore to begin virtualizing the physical server.
Step 9. Click Finish when the restoration process is done and exit AOMEI Backupper. The virtual machine will automatically boot into the same operating system as the physical server.
You have learned how to clone a physical server via the best server cloning software for Windows Server 2019, 2016, 2012, etc. Whether you want to upgrade hard drive on your server or virtualize a physical server, AOMEI Backupper can help you make it. Besides, AOMEI Backupper owns the sync feature that enables you to synchronize files between Windows Servers. Try it now to discover more!