How do I clone a Windows 7 64 bit hard drive?
"I have one question regarding cloning a hard drive in Windows 7 64 bit. I suspect it is likely to fail soon, thus I want to clone Windows 7 to a new hard drive for replacement. And I don't want to clean install my computer unless there is no other way. I have a lot of games on my computer, I don't want to lose them. Thus, will this work?"
The answer is YES, you can clone Windows 7 32/64 bit hard drive easily and quickly with professional disk cloning software. Compared with clean install, this way is much friendlier. It will include everything on the original disk, including operating system, system settings, drivers, installed programs, personal data, thus you don't need to worry about data loss and reinstallation of programs.
Why Clone Hard Drive in Windows 7?
There are some circumstances that you might clone hard drive to SSD or HDD in Windows 7/8/10/11:
Insufficient disk space: when your computer facing the low disk space, you could free up space with disk cleanup tool, remove unnecessary files, etc. However, the best way to fix this problem is add another hard drive or clone smaller disk to larger disk.
Computer running slow in Windows 7/8/10/11 all of a sudden. This symptom may imply your RAM or disk drive space is running out, or you should replace the old hard drive with another new HDD or SSD to improve the computer performance.
Upgrade Windows 7/8 to Windows 10 or 11. It’s better to clone hard drive in Windows 7/8 before upgrading Windows 7/8 to Windows 10 to make an alternative backup for your current files in case something bad happens to your computer.
Make a backup for your computer.
Other issues like ransomware, virus, or accidental deletion.
Hence, how to clone Windows 7 hard drive easily and safely? let’s find out in the following content.
Best free disk cloning software for Windows 7
To clone Windows 7 to new hard drive effectively, you need the best free disk cloning software for Windows 7. Here I strongly recommend you AOMEI Backupper Standard because of its wonderful features:
- Secure Boot: It's able to clone hard drive to larger drive in Windows 7 successfully and boot from it after cloning.
- Sector by sector clone: It will clone all sectors of a hard drive and move everything to new hard drive.
- Intelligent Clone: It only clones used sectors of a hard drive to another one, and will skip bad sectors during the process. Thus, you can easily clone large HDD to smaller SSD without boot problem and clone failing hard drive in time.
- Multiple disk brands support: You can use it to clone disk from Samsung, WD, HP, SanDisk, Toshiba, Seagate, etc, whether it's SATA, NVMe, PCIe, M.2.
- Multiple system support: It not only supports clone hard drive in Windows 7, but also clone hard drive in Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8, XP and Vista.
Prepare for free clone Windows 7 hard drive
There is something you should prepare before cloning Windows 7 hard drive:
1. The computer running the Windows 7 operating system.
2. A new hard drive or SSD as the destination to clone Windows 7 hard drive. There is no need to be larger than the original Windows 7 hard drive, but it should be enough to hold all the data saved in the Windows 7 hard drive.
3. SATA to USB adapter cable: to connect the new HDD or SSD if need be.
For a desktop, you need a power cable and data cable to connect the new drive in your computer as a secondary drive.
You may need an external hard drive enclosure and SATA-to-USB adapter to connect the new HDD or SSD externally if the laptop only has one hard drive bay.
4. Screwdrivers. To swap the old Windows 7 hard drive with the new HDD/SSD after cloning finished.
5. Get the free cloning software for Windows 7 downloaded.
Step by step guide: clone hard drive in Windows 7 free
After downloading free disk cloning software for Windows 7 AOMEI Backupper Standard, install and launch it. Connect the new HDD or SSD with Windows 7 computer via host or SATA to USB adapter and ensure it can be detected by Windows. Then clone hard drive Windows 7 easily with the following steps, here take clone Windows 7 to SSD as an example:
1. On the home console, select the Clone tab, and choose the Disk Clone feature afterward.
2. Select the Windows 7 hard drive as the source disk to clone, and hit Next >>.
3. Choose the new HDD or SSD as the destination, and then press Next >>.
4. Check SSD Alignment to optimize the reading and writing speed if the target SSD disk is an SSD. Then, press Start Clone >> to clone HDD to SSD in Windows 7 easily and safely.
Wait for a while, the cloning time depending on the data size on the source disk, the larger the data capacity, the longer time will be.
Boot from Cloned HDD or SSD
After disk clone finished, do the process listed below according to your needs:
If you cloned boot drive in Windows 7:
1. Shutdown your Windows 7 computer.
2. Boot from the cloned SSD/HDD.
If the cloned hard drive won't boot in Windows, you could consider changing the boot mode from Legacy to UEFI if you cloned MBR disk to GPT disk, or change UEFI to Legacy if cloned GPT to MBR disk.
If you cloned data disk in Windows 7:
Due to the Windows 7 support has been ended, if you want to use the data disk on another computer, you could take out the data disk and connect it to your new computer.
Or if you want to clone Windows 7 hard drive (data disk) to a larger one, follow the cloning process of cloning HDD to HDD or SSD. And then connect the larger disk contains the data you need to your current computer.
As shown above, it’s a piece of cake for AOMEI Backupper Standard to clone hard drive in Windows 7, 8, 10. It’s not only disk cloning software but also free backup software. You could also backup Windows 7 hard drive to external hard drive and then restore Windows 7 disk image to the new SSD/HDD.
If you just want to clone Windows 7 to larger hard drive without reinstalling Windows operating system or installed programs, you could try system clone feature, it’s available in Professional or other full versions. Besides, you could clone hard drive with command prompt if you’re an IT expert.
For server users, who running Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2019 (including R2), SBS 2003, 2008, 2011, Please try AOMEI Backupper Server. If you would like to deploy image to unlimited computers simultaneously within same LAN in your company, please try AOMEI Image Deploy.