Need to do bit copy of an SD card
How do I clone an SD card bit by bit?
I’m using a micro SD card in a Neo Geo X. I’d like to make a bit-by-bit copy of the SD card to another SD card, so I can use the copied card when the original card is broken. Can y’all help?
- Question from Reddit.com
Running bit copy of an SD card means to copy/clone all sectors on the SD card, even if the sector is blank or it is a logically bad sector. As a result, the copied card will be identical to the original card. You may want to copy an SD card bit by bit for following reasons:
• Backup all the contents on the original SD card, such as family photos, favorite music or games, etc.
• Swap broken SD card in your device with the copied one, thus reducing the downtime.
• Clone smaller SD card to larger SD card to gain more storage space.
Then, how can you run SD card bit-by-bit copy easily?
Best free SD card bit-by-bit copy software in Windows
To run bit copy of an SD card in Windows, you need specialized bit-by-bit copy software—AOMEI Backupper Standard. It is free and it supports all Windows PC operating systems like Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP.
With the Disk Clone feature, you can clone all kinds of storage devices. Besides SD card, you are allowed to clone bootable CompactFlash card, USB stick, and HDD/SSD.
By default, the program performs intelligent sector clone, which will skip bad or blank sectors in the cloning process. If you want to clone an SD card bit by bit, just tick the “Sector by sector clone” option.
Nearly all common SD card brands are supported in AOMEI Backupper including SanDisk, Lexar, Sony, and Transcend.
Wanna know how to use AOMEI Backupper for SD card clone? Please move on to the next part.
How to clone an SD card bit by bit easily
Two SD card readers (If your computer has one SD card slot, one reader is enough).
A Windows PC.
SD card cloning software (free download and install).
How to copy an SD card to another SD card bit by bit
Note: Backup files on the destination SD card before cloning, because it will be overwritten during the cloning process.
Step 1. Connect two SD cards to your computer and make sure they are detected properly. Run AOMEI Backupper, click “Clone” and select “Disk Clone”.
Step 2. Select the source SD card and click “Next”.
Step 3. Select the target SD card and click “Next”.
Step 4. Tick “Sector by sector clone” to copy every sector on the source card whether it is used or not. Then, confirm the operation and click “Start Clone”.
• “Sector-by-sector clone” requires the destination card to be equal to or larger than the source card. Note it makes the Edit Partitions become unavailable.
• “SSD Alignment” will improve the reading and writing speed of an SSD. Use this option if you are cloning to an SSD.
• To enjoy more advanced features like system clone and dissimilar hardware restore, you may upgrade to AOMEI Backupper Professional.
You have learned the easiest way to run bit copy of an SD card in Windows. AOMEI Backupper is not only powerful disk cloning software but also professional Windows backup software. You can use it to backup Windows to NAS and backup an external hard drive, etc. Why not try it now?