How to Transfer from One Surface Pro to Another (Files & OS)
Got a new Surface Pro and want to transfer from one Surface Pro to another? Scroll down to find the best PC transfer tool and a stepwise guide.
Transferring from one Surface to another
I'm going to have my Surface replaced. Is there an "easy" way to transfer all my data from one Surface to another? It will be such a pain to reinstall all my software, settings, Internet favorites, etc. and I was just wondering if there is a way I can just transfer a copy of everything to the new device (like a system image or something) without having to reinstall everything.
- Question from Surfaceforums.net
Whether you are going to replace a problematic Surface Pro with a new one or move from an old Surface Pro to a new generation product, you may be in need of transferring data from one Surface Pro to another.
For personal data transfer, you can transfer files using an external hard drive or USB drive. How about transferring OS, programs, settings, as well as personal stuff from one Surface Pro to another? A professional PC transfer tool is required.
Best PC transfer software for all Surface devices
Talking about PC transfer software, AOMEI Backupper Professional is definitely worth a try. It is embedded with multiple features that can be used for different purposes.
📂 File Transfer
File Backup: This feature will generate an image file that can be restored to a new location later.
Sync: This feature works just like “copy”.
💻 System, Programs, and Data Transfer
Disk Clone: This feature can help you transfer everything between two Surface Pros if they have same hardware.
Universal Restore: This features enables you to transfer data from old Surface to new Surface with dissimilar hardware.
Free download AOMEI Backupper and install it on your old Surface Pro to have a try now.
# 1: How to transfer data from one Surface Pro to another
As mentioned above, you can transfer data between two Surface Pros using an external hard drive or USB drive. However, if there are numerous files to be transferred and they are located in different directories on the old Surface Pro, it will be toilsome to do the copy-and-paste or drag-and-drop operations repetitively.
Luckily, AOMEI Backupper makes things easier. Learn how to transfer data from one Surface to another using AOMEI Backupper’s Sync feature below.
1. Run AOMEI Backupper from the old Surface Pro. Click Sync from the left panel and select Basic Sync.
2. Give the task a distinguishable name in the “Task Name” box. Then, click Add Folder to choose the folders you want to transfer.
3. Expand the drop-down menu of the second bar to select the sync destination. Click Select a local path to choose the external drive you connected or click Add Share or NAS Devices to choose the shared folder you created.
4. Confirm the source folders and destination path. Then, click Start Sync to begin.
5. After the sync process is finished, copy the synced files from the external device or shared folder to your new Surface Pro.
★ How to access network shared folder on the new Surface Pro
1. Turn on network discovery on both Surface Pros.
2. Press Win + R on the new Surface Pro. Then, type “\\(IP address of the old Surface Pro)” in the Run box and press Enter to show the shared folder.
★ Alternative way to transfer files from one Surface Pro to another
If you create an AOMEI account, you can also backup Surface Pro files to AOMEI Cloud and then restore them on another Surface Pro. You'll get 1TB free storage for 15 days after you sign up for an AOMEI account.
# 2: How to transfer everything from old Surface Pro to a new one
How do I transfer everything from one Surface to another? In most cases, the new Surface Pro has different hardware from the old one. Therefore, I’ll show you how to complete the transfer process via the Universal Restore feature below.
1. Connect the bootable USB drive with the disk image to your new Surface Pro. Boot the new device from the bootable USB.
2. You’ll see loaded AOMEI Backupper once the device boots up successfully. Click Restore > Select Image File.
3. Locate the disk image on the USB drive and click Open.
4. Select Restore the entire disk, click on the disk and click Next.
5. Select the hard drive of the new Surface Pro to receive the restored data and click Next.
6. In the “Operation Summary” page, tick Universal Restore to ensure a secure boot after the recovery process. Then click Start Restore to begin transferring everything from the old Surface Pro to the new one, including Windows OS, programs, and personal files, etc.
That’s all about how to transfer from one Surface Pro to another. Whether you want to transfer personal data only or transfer everything from one device to another, the best PC transfer tool - AOMEI Backupper can help you make it. To migrate to a new server with different hardware, you may pick AOMEI Backupper Server. Don’t hesitate to go for this excellent tool!