What is Task Scheduler?
The Microsoft Windows Task Scheduler is a component for you to automatically running the program or script at the specified time after defining the time intervals. To make Task Scheduler running well, please ensure running Windows Event Log service first.
Task Scheduler will monitor the triggers you choose and execute the tasks triggered by the following events.
When a specific system event occurs.
At a specific time.
At a specific time on a daily schedule.
At a specific time on a weekly schedule.
At a specific time on a monthly schedule.
At a specific time on a monthly day-of-week schedule.
When the computer enters an idle state.
When the task is registered.
When the system is booted.
When a user logs on.
When a Terminal Server session changes state.
Thus, the Task Scheduler is used to execute tasks as starting Windows backup software to create a backup as scheduled.
How to Create Schedule Backup with Task Scheduler in Windows 10?
Follow the steps to create an automatic backup with Windows Task Scheduler:
1. Input Schedule Tasks into Windows 10 search box, and choose the Schedule Tasks and hit Enter.
2. Right click the Task Scheduler Library, and choose New Folder..., put a name to distinguish from other tasks.
3. Click the new folder you created after expanding the Task Scheduler Library, and then choose Create Task... under the Actions tab.
4. At General tab, Input the Name and Description, and tick Run with highest privileges under the Security options.
5. In Triggers section, click New..., select On a schedule, and tick Daily, and other settings you want to set up, click OK.
6. In Actions tab, hit New... button, choose Start a program in Action field, specified the program you want to use(here is powershell.exe, input the xcopy D:\Ailsa\ad.txt F:\ /s /e in Add arguments field).
7. And press OK to create a new scheduled backup task.
8. Click Run at the right panel to backup files as scheduled.
And I got a 0x0 code returned, which means that the backup operation is finished successfully. Nevertheless, It’s a little bit complex to add the arguments if you are not familiar with the syntax of command, it is difficult to handle it.
Task Scheduler Error Codes
However, you may encounter some Task Scheduler errors while setting up the Task Scheduler.
Error code 1 Or 0x1: Incorrect function called or unknown function called.
Error code 2 or 0x2: File not found.
Error code 10 or 0xa: The environment is incorrect.
Error code 0x00041303: The task has not yet run.
Error code 0x00041305: One or more of the properties that are needed to run this task on a schedule have not been set.
Error code 0x00041306: The last run of the task was terminated by the user.
See more details about the Task Scheduler Error Codes according to the Microsoft to fix your errors.
Besides, you may found Task Scheduler service is not available in Windows 10 or Task Scheduler not running, what should you do?
Here is the solution:
1. Input services.msc in Windows 10 search box, and hit Enter,
2. Click Task Scheduler and choose Properties.
3. Check the Startup type is set to Automatic and the Service status is running, if else, click on Start.
4. Press Apply and then OK.
5. Reboot your computer and the Task Scheduler is not available error will be fixed.
If the problem still exist, It’s highly recommended to try reliable Task Scheduler alternative - AOMEI Backupper Standard.
Best Free Task Scheduler Alternative - AOMEI Backupper
The best free Task Scheduler alternative AOMEI Backupper Standard will do you a big favor to create a schedule backup with simple clicks, and automatically backup files to Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, external hard drive, local disk, network share, NAS, USB flash drive, etc. It’s designed for Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP, and all the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
You will get the following benefits with AOMEI Backupper:
AOMEI Backupper allows you to use Task Scheduler to backup files, or backup files without Task Scheduler.
The Pro edition of AOMEI Backupper allows you create a schedule task with Event triggers(4 events: user logon, user logoff, system startup, system shutdown) , USB plug in, please upgrade to enjoy.
Please download AOMEI Backupper Standard to have a try:
Here is how to create a schedule backup with the best free Task Scheduler alternative - AOMEI Backupper in Windows 10:
Step 1. Perform AOMEI Backupper Standard, choose File Backup under Backup tab.
Step 2. Tap Add Folder or Add File button to choose the folders and files to backup.
Step 3. Choose a backup destination for your files.
Step 4. Click Schedule, at the General tab, choose Daily, Weekly, or Monthly.
Step 5. Press Start Backup >> and then choose Add the schedule and start backup now to automatically backup files.
It’s easy to handle, and could replace Task Scheduler totally as you can see.
Summing It Up
Although Task Scheduler could help you to backup files with scheduled time, you might encounter Task Scheduler is not available issue or encounter some errors. To get better performance, It’s better to try the Task Scheduler alternative - AOMEI Backupper Standard to create backup task easily.
If you are IT Technicians and want to manage unlimited PCs and Servers, please try AOMEI Backupper Technician Plus to enjoy more features.