SyncToy is a free Microsoft application that synchronizes files and folders between locations, you could share files, like photos, email, documents, music, and other files, with other computers; make backup copies of these files or folders. If you have hundreds or thousands of files to manage, SyncToy could help you a lot.
How to use SyncToy step by step?
First of all, you have to install SyncToy setup in your system. And it’s easy to use SyncToy to sync files/folders, detailed steps are listed below:
1. Click Create New Folder Pair button.
2. Choose the files or folders you want to sync in Left Folder; Select a folder to save these files in Right Folder, and then click Next>.
3. Tick Synchronize (or other options: Echo or Contribute), and press Next> button.
4. Name your folder pair. Then click Finish, then you could preview the details about this synchronization. Now, press Run to sync files or folders.
It’s easy to operate with this SyncToy. However, SyncToy is available in Windows 7, Vista, XP. If you are going to sync files or folders in Windows 8, 8.1, 10, and other server systems, it is to no avail.
Look for some portable version of SyncToy
Some users are interested in: is there any portable version of SyncToy? Which means that SyncToy could be on the backup drive (USB hard drive or hard disk, etc.) and could be proceeded directly from that drive. Until now, SyncToy hasn’t released a portable version yet. So, how to get a SyncToy Portable tool to sync files or folders?
SyncToy Portable Alternative
Fortunately for you, there are some similar products to help you to manage files or folders in bulk. There is a software named AOMEI Backupper Standard, as the best SyncToy portable alternative, which is a free file synchronization and management tool for Windows Vista, XP, 7, 8, 8.1, 10.
It’s applied to many storage devices, like USB drive, SD card, SSD, external hard drive, Network Share or NAS, etc. it’s easy and flexible to use with your different usage. Most important, you could use it in portable devices, like CD/DVD, USB flash drive, etc.
How to Sync Files or Folders with AOMEI Backupper?
Now, we will show you more details about the steps to sync files or folders between computers in most popular Windows operating system, like Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10. Just refer to this guide:
Download free SyncToy portable software – AOMEI Backupper Standard.
Create bootable USB drive with AOMEI Backupper. This bootable USB drive contains the portable AOMEI Backupper, and other bootable files, which supports boot any other Windows system installed computers.
Create a network share folder in one computer.
Two computers installed Windows Vista/XP/7/8/10.
1. Boot your Windows 10/8/7 computer from the bootable USB drive, and then run this SyncToy Portable alternative, then go to Backup -> File Sync.
2. Input Task Name to distinguish from other tasks. And then click + Add Folder to browse and add the files or folders that you want to sync in Windows 7/8/10.
3. Choose the inverted triangle icon -> Select a network location -> Add Network Location -> input the Network Path to choose the network share folder as destination.
4. Click Start Sync>> to sync files or folders between computers with the help of SyncToy portable.
Sync Options: you are allowed to comment or enable email notification;
Schedule: it will create the sync task daily/weekly/monthly after you set up.
Real-time Sync: you could create a real-time sync task for your files and folders, and ensure all the files or folders are the exactly the same. This feature is provided by AOMEI Backupper Professional (paid version) equipped with more advanced functions.
Wait for a moment, your files or folders will be synchronized from one computer to another one. And this bootable media, you could carry it whenever and wherever, use it no matter what Windows operating system you installed. Besides, the files and folders stored in OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, and other clouds, could be sync or backup to external hard drive, or USB drive, SSD, and so on.
Apart from these functions, AOMEI Backupper offers a function named USB plug in to backup data on the USB to local drive or backup local data to USB drive when SyncToy alternative – AOMEI Backupper detects that the source or destination USB of the task is plugged in. Moreover, you could use command line to clone/backup files or folders, partition, Windows operating system, etc.