Why need Seagate disk cloning software?
If you are planning to clone Seagate HDD/SSD for hard drive replacement or data protection, an effective Seagate disk cloning software is necessary. It could greatly help you in following situations:
Upgrade HDD to SDD for better computer performance.
Replace the old hard drive with a new hard drive for larger capacity.
Duplicate the data in Seagate hard drive as a backup.
Whichever your case is, the process of disk cloning will ensure your data security. But here comes the question: What software can you use to clone Seagate HDD/SSD?
Effective software for Seagate hard drive clone in Windows 10/8/7
You probably know there’s an integrated Seagate cloning software - Seagate DiscWizard. It’s designed for Seagate and Maxtor hard drives, allowing you to backup or clone the disk, so as to perform disk migration, disaster recovery, etc. However, as a disk clone software, Seagate DiscWizard has some limitations:
♦ It cannot clone a single partition. The only option is to clone the entire disk with all the data on it. It doesn’t support cloning dynamic disk, either.
♦ As for backup, it only backs up partitions and disks, files and folders are not available. Meanwhile, the back image can only be restored to the exact same computer.
♦ Seagate DiscWizard only applies to Seagate and Maxtor hard drives, and the disk cloning might fail sometimes. If you have this problem, please refer to Seagate DiscWizard not cloning.
Therefore, you could consider using another disk clone software with higher compatibility and richer functionality, AOMEI Backupper Standard, for example. It's an easy-to-use freeware works in Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP/Vista, and has some significant advantages:
♦ It enables you to clone the disk or individual parititons, and has no restriction on hardware brands.
♦ It contains backup features for files & folders, partitions, operating system and disk.
♦ It supports clonining between disks of different sizes. With the intelligent cloning mode, you can even clone larger drive to smaller drive. If the target disk is larger, you can also perform sector-by-sector clone to create an intact copy of the source disk.
♦ Just like in Seagate DiscWizard, you can create a bootable media in case the computer fail to boot.
*The free Standard version already meets your basic needs for disk cloning. If want to edit partition size, clone only OS, or clone dynamic volumes on dynamic disks, you can also upgrade it to Professional edition.
How to perform Seagate disk cloning with free software?
Using Seagate disk cloning software is the easiest and safest way to clone a hard disk - you don’t need to copy & paste manually, or go through the process of backup and then restore.
But still, there are some preparations to be done at first:
- Delete unwanted files and uninstall unnecessary apps on the source disk.
- Install the target HDD/SSD properly. If there's only one slot, use SATA-to-USB adapter to connect it.
- Choose a Seagate cloning software to download and install.
- The destination disk will be overwritten after cloning. Remember to backup any important data stored on it.
Way 1. Clone Seagate disk with specialized clone software DiscWizard
For a basic Seagate disk, you can use DiscWizard to clone disk with following steps:
1. Launch Seagate DiscWizard, choose Clone Disc in the Home page.
2. Choose Clone Mode as Automatic (recommended) and click Next.
3. Then select the source disk and hit Next.
4. Select the destination disk from the list, then click Next to continue.
5. Check the Summary page and click Proceed to start the Seagate disk cloning.
Only basic disks can be cloned with Seagate DiscWizard. Dynamic disks are not supported.
Using Seagate DiscWizard to clone disk with active operating system requires a reboot to continue the operation.
It’s better not to format the source disk until you are sure that the cloned disk can boot properly.
Way 2. Clone Seagate or other hard drive with powerful freeware
As mentioned above, DiscWizard has a few drawbacks as a Seagate hard drive cloning software. If you are finding a more powerful disk cloning solution, AOMEI Backupper Standard may be the answer. Download it to proceed:
How to clone Seagate disk with freeware:
1. Connect the second disk (use a USB-to-SATA adapter if necessary). Install and launch the software, go to Clone tab and select Disk Clone to copy all the partitions including system partition.
2. Select the Seagate disk as the source disk and click Next.
3. Choose the destination disk which you just connected, click Next.
4. Confirm the operation and click Start Clone to begin disk cloning. Optionally, you can click Edit Partition, SSD Alignment or Sector By Sector Clone as you like.
It’s free to clone system disk from MBR to MBR. But cloning system disk from GPT to GPT, MBR to GPT or vice versa requires Professional or higher edition. Otherwise you need to convert partition style in Disk Management at first.
In Professional edition, you can also use the System Clone feature to clone only OS to SSD or HDD.
In addition to the Seagate disk cloning software DiscWizard, you can use AOMEI Backupper as an adequate alternative to clone Seagate and other disk. With its complete features, it becomes much easier to perform data or OS migration.
AOMEI Backupper is also a powerful backup & restore tool that can be used in daily data protection. The Schedule feature enables you to schedule automatic backup for files, system or the disk. And if you are a Windows Server user, you can also use choose the specially designed Server edition.