Safely Perform Microsoft Surface SSD Upgrade in Windows 7, 8, 10, 11
How to upgrade smaller SSD drive to larger one for Surface Pro 6, 4, 3 in Windows computers? You will find the best solution to do Microsoft Surface SSD upgrade.
Why Upgrade Microsoft Surface SSD?
Microsoft Surface (also known as Surface) is a tablet series designed and developed by Microsoft, which is famous for its interactive design and diverse application scenarios. And it’s easy to carry, so that many users are enjoying it. The most representative product includes Microsoft Surface, Microsoft Surface Pro 2, 3, 4, 6, or 7, Surface Book, Surface Studio, and many more.
As everyone knows, the Microsoft Surface series comes with a small SSD drive typically 128GB or 256GB, with times goes by, you’ll find the small SSD drive can’t meet your demands any more. You may get a "low disk space" notification when the SSD is almost full. Besides, you’ll probably get a slow response and software crash in your system.
Thus, the best way to avoid these problems is replacing Microsoft Surface SSD drive.
Before You Do
If you decide to do Microsoft Surface SSD upgrade, for example, upgrade SSD in Surface Pro X, there is something you should know.
Find a suitable larger SSD drive. If you have problems with Microsoft Surface change SSD drive, you can consult your computer’s manufacturer.
External hard drive. Use it to save your backup image of Microsoft Surface or Surface Pro original SSD.
A Bootable USB flash drive. The flash drive will be a bootable media to boot your Microsoft Surface or Surface Pro.
SSD upgrade software. AOMEI Backupper Professional is a powerful backup and restore software in Windows 7/8/10/11, which allows you to backup Surface laptops such as Surface Pro 4 and Surface Pro 3 to external hard drive, then restore it to the new larger SSD drive to do Surface Pro SSD upgrade.
Your current Microsoft Surface laptop.
How to Do Microsoft Surface SSD Upgrade
There are two main steps to replacing a Microsoft Surface SSD. You can follow the illustrated tutorial below.
Part 1: Backup Original Microsoft Surface SSD
Before you upgrade, backup system or disk for your Microsoft Surface original smaller SSD drive. The detailed steps listed below to do Microsoft Surface SSD replacement:
- Connect external hard drive with your laptop. Download AOMEI Backupper Professional, install and launch the installer.
- On the main console, select Backup > Disk Backup in turn.
- Input a Task Name if needed, and click +Add Disk to select Microsoft Surface or Surface Pro original smaller SSD drive as the source disk, and hit Add.
- Choose the external hard drive as destination to save the backup image from that smaller SSD drive.
- Click Start Backup to image Microsoft Surface or Surface Pro smaller SSD.
After you backed up, shut down your laptop, take out the original smaller SSD drive and put the new larger SSD drive into the slot. Then boot the laptop from the bootable media created by AOMEI Backupper Pro, and the AOMEI Backupper will automatically run.
Part 2: Restore Data to the New SSD
After AOMEI Backupper starts, you can restore data to the larger SSD drive, here is how.
- Put the external hard drive with the image file into your Surface or Surface Pro laptop. Run AOMEI Backupper Pro, on the main console, at the Restore tab, Tap Select Image File button to choose the disk image file.
- Select a backup point to restore and press Next >>.
- Choose Restore the entire disk or Restore a partition in the disk, then click Next >>.
- Select the new larger SSD drive to restore the image file. Hit Next >> to go on.
- Preview the result and click Start Restore >> to upgrade Microsoft Surface or Surface Pro SSD. Make sure the Universal Restore option checked.
Tip: SSD Alignment option will optimize the performance for your SSD drive, check it if needed.
To Sum Up
The Microsoft Surface SSD upgrade has been completed by far. Besides, if your computer is a desktop, it’s recommended to clone SSD to larger SSD drive to upgrade SSD. AOMEI Backupper Pro allows you to comment, compress, split, encrypt the image file, and even merge image files into one.
With its help, you can also restore image file to dissimilar hardware. And the program offers schedule backup, incremental and differential backup, and many more.