How to Delete or Create Windows Server 2022 Recovery Partition
What is Windows Server 2022 recovery partition and its purpose? Is it safe to delete the recovery partition to expand your storage? What if you don’t have one, but want to create one to use when there is a problem with the system? Read on to find the answer.
- What is recovery partition in Windows Server 2022 and its purpose?
- Delete Windows Server 2022 recovery partition to gain more space
- Create Windows recovery partition with AOMEI OneKey Recovery
- To sum up
What is recovery partition in Windows Server 2022 and its purpose?
The recovery partition is a special partition on the disk, which helps to restore the factory settings of the OS (operating system) in the event of system issues. For where is the recovery partition in Windows Server 2022? It is usually hidden and you can't see it in Windows Explorer. But in Disk Management, you can see it, while there is no drive letter for this partition, and only a Help option is provided.
There are 2 types of recovery partitions:
Delete Windows Server 2022 recovery partition to gain more space
You have basically understood what the recovery partition is and what it does. The most concerned questions of users who have a recovery partition are "Is Windows Sever recovery partition necessary?" "Is it safe to delete the recovery partition?". What happens if the recovery partition is deleted? Does this affect the operating system that is running? Let's talk in detail.
Is it safe to delete the recovery partition on Server 2022?
Yes, it is safe to remove recovery partition from your computer. But for different Windows Server users, we have different suggestions:
How to remove recovery partition in Windows Server 2022
As you know, it is not allowed to delete Windows Server recovery partition in Disk Management, only the Help option is provided there. Here, we provide you with 2 effective ways to erase recovery partition in Windows Server 2022.
#1. Delete recovery partition with DiskPart.exe
To erase recovery partition, you can use Windows built-in utility—Diskpart command prompt.
- Click “Search” icon, and type “cmd” on the box.
- Right-click on the “Command Prompt”, choose “Run as Administrator”.
- Once the Command Prompt is launched, type “diskpart” and press Enter to open DiskPart.
- Input and press Enter to run following commands one by one:
● list disk (display all the disks)
● select disk n ("n" should be replaced with the correct disk number contains the recovery partition. Usually, it is disk 0)
● list partition (list all the partitions on the selected disk)
● select partition n (choose the recovery partition number)
● delete partition
After deleting the recovery partition, the remaining space is unallocated space. You can use the unallocated space to create a new volume or extend an existing partition to make full use of the disk storage space.
#2. Delete Recovery Partition while Creating Recovery Drive
There is another way to help you delete the partition. This trick appears during the process of creating a USB recovery drive.
- Click “Search” icon, and enter “recovery drive” in the search box, and then select Create a recovery drive.
- After the recovery drive tool opens, make sure the “Back up system files to the recovery drive” is selected, and then select Next.
- Insert a USB flash drive into your PC that's at least as large as the size indicated on the screen. Select the USB flash drive connected you connected and click “Next” to continue.
- Click “Create” to begin creating the recovery drive.
- When the process is done, do not select Finish. Select Delete the recovery partition to remove the recovery partition from your PC and free up disk space. Then click on Delete. This will free up the disk space used to store your recovery image. When the removal is done, select Finish.
Create Windows recovery partition with AOMEI OneKey Recovery
We all know that when there is a problem with the system, the recovery partition can play a great role in helping us restore the system to factory settings. If you find that there is no recovery partition on your computer, how can you create one?
Here, I recommend that you use a qualified onekey backup and recovery solution - AOMEI OneKey Recovery to create Windows recovery partition. It supports all Windows PCs and Servers. It enables you to easily backup system to factory partition or other location in case of a system failure and press F11 or A key to enter a recovery environment for system restore.
Download it to have a try. I will show you how to create Windows recovery partition safely on Server 2022 via AOMEI OneKey Recovery.
Step 1. Install AOMEI OneKey Recovery on your computer and launch it. Choose Onekey System Backup.
Step 2. Select "Backup system to AOMEI OneKey Recovery Partition (Recommended)" and click Next.
Step 3. Then, you need to select one of the existing partitions on the system disk and divide some space to create a factory recovery partition. If there is enough unallocated space on the system disk, the program will automatically select it to make the factory recovery partition. This step will be skipped, and the program will go directly to the next step.
Step 4. Click "Advanced" to preview the partition layout, and click "Start Backup" after confirmation.
When the creation process is over, you will have the system image backup and recovery partition. You can use it to recover your computer in the event of a disaster.
To sum up
It’s essential to have a Windows Server 2022 recovery partition. Because when your hard drive fails, the recovery partition can help you restore to the factory settings.
If you already have it, you can backup recovery partition to another location first, and then create a bootable media to help you restore the recovery partition even the computer cannot boot. Then you can delete the recovery partition on your computer to free up storage space.
If you do not have a recovery partition in Windows Server 2022, the best system recovery partition maker - AOMEI OneKey Recovery can help you create one. Download and try it by yourself.