What is recovery partition in Windows 7, 8, 10?
You may be confused about the Windows operating system coming with a recovery partition. There may be a lot of questions around your mind: what is the recovery partition for? What does it contain? Can I delete the recovery partition? ...
A recovery partition is a part of your hard drive, which is designed by the manufacturer to hold an image of your system as it was shipped from the factory. In other words, a recovery partition is used to restore your computer back to factory settings, which means it will wipe out all your data and programs.
Usually, you can launch the recovery process by pressing a specific key. For example, if you are using Dell machine, pressing Ctrl+F11 at boot time will initiate the recovery procedure and will return your Dell computer to the state it was in when you took it out of the box.
Well, when you install Windows 7/8/10 on your computer, the Windows will also create a recovery partition which is different from the factory recovery partition. It is much smaller. Windows 7 recovery partition is about 200 MB, Windows 8 takes 350 MB, and 450 MB in Windows 10.
Why you need to backup recovery partition?
You may want to delete the recovery partition for some reasons. However, the recovery partition is important to you. For example, if your hard drive fails, you may need the recovery partition to restore to the factory settings. Thus, it is necessary to backup recovery partition in your Windows 7/8/10.
Easiest way to backup recovery partition in Windows 7, 8, 10
Windows 7/8/10 all have the backup and recovery tool, which can only include the partition with a drive letter. However, the recovery partition exists on your hard drive with no drive letter by default. Thus, you cannot use Windows backup tool to backup the recovery partition. Well, how to backup recovery partition?
Fortunately, there is a third party software called AOMEI Backupper Standard that can be used to backup recovery partition.
- Various Systems: It is free and suitable for Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10/11.
- Multiple Brands: You can use it to backup HP/Dell/Lenovo recovery partition, and many other branded computers' recovery partition.
- Easy-to-operate: With the intuitive interface, you can quickly finish the task with a few clicks.
Here you can follow the steps below:
Step 1. Download this freeware, install and launch it. Select Partition Backup under the Backup tab.
Step 2. Then, click Add Partition or Volume to select the recovery partition to be backed up.
Step 3. Click where the arrow points and select a place to save the backup image. You can choose any location in Windows Explorer. Here we choose to backup recovery partition to F: drive.
Step 4. At last, you can click Start Backup to launch the progress. Before clicking Start Backup, you can set up more for backing up recovery partition.
- Options: You can write a comment for the backup task, enable email notification, compress the backup image, and more.
- Schedule Backup: It allows you to set up an automatic backup. "Daily", "Weekly", "Monthly", "Event triggers" and "USB plug-in" modes are available. You may upgrade to higher editions to enjoy the last two modes.
- Backup Scheme: You can select various backup methods, including Full/Incremental/Differential backup. Since incremental backup has higher requirements for restoration, it is recommended you upgrade to the Professional version to enjoy the differential backup feature. After upgrading, you can also enable automatic backup cleanup feature, which can save disk space.
With AOMEI Backupper, backing up recovery partition becomes a very simple task. You can also use it to create a bootable rescue media so that you can restore the recovery partition even when the computer cannot boot.
This article describes what a recovery partition is, why you should backup a recovery partition and how to backup recovery partition. The easiest way is to use the free backup software AOMEI Backupper Standard to help you achieve the goal. It is easy to use and supports many operating systems and different brands of computers.
Most importantly, it provides you with various backup methods and backup functions to protect your data in all aspects. You can backup partitions regularly and also choose to perform scheduled backups with incremental or differential backups to promote backup efficiency. You can download this software to discover more useful features.