The issue: need to find Setup Information file in Windows 7 recovery
I'm in the system recovery, which I got to by selecting f8 and ‘repair your computer’, and after taking me to a window that says ‘select an operating system to repair....If you do not see your operating system listed, click on load drivers to load the drivers for your hard disks’. So then when I click on load drivers it wants me to select a setup information file inside the System32 menu, but I don't know what to select. Thank you!”
A Setup Information file (an INF file) is a plain-text file used by Windows for the installation of software and drivers. Windows 7 saves local copies of all drivers that you install in a folder called FileRepository. The full path is C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository. The Setup Information files are located in the subfolders of the FileRepository folder.
When you open the FileRepository folder, you will be surprised by the number of files located there. It is really troublesome to select the Setup Information file location in Windows 7 repair manually. Then, how to fix the operating system not listed error without locating the Setup Information file?
How to fix operating system not listed without locating the Setup Information file in Windows 7?
When you encounter operating system not listed in System Recovery Options, you can fix the issue via following method without locating the Setup Information file manually. Two situations will be described:
Situation 1: boot from F8
1. Press F8 while your computer is booting to display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Use the arrow keys to highlight Repair Your Computer and press Enter.
2. On the window that says “select an operating system to repair” click Cancel to see System Recovery Options window and select Command Prompt.
3. In Command Prompt, input bootrec /rebuildbcd and press Enter.
>> If Bootrec runs successfully, it will present you with the installation path of a Windows directory. To add the entry to the BCD store, type Y. A confirmation message appears that indicates the entry was added successfully.
>> If Bootrec cannot find any missing Windows installations, you must remove the BCD store, and then recreate it. Type following command lines and press Enter after each:
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup (C: is the letter of the drive where Windows is installed.)
attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r –s
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
4. Restart the computer in the normal mode and check if the computer boots to Windows successfully.
Situation 2: boot from Windows 7 installation media
1. Insert Windows 7 installation media to your computer and boot from it.
2. Choose the correct time and keyboard type and click Next.
3. In the next screen, choose Repair your computer.
4. On the window where no operating system is listed, select “Use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting Windows” and click Next.
5. Click Command Prompt from the list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.
Tips: You can also open Command Prompt by pressing Shift + F10 at the “Install Windows” screen.
6. Do the same things as in Situation 1 Step 3 and Step 4.
Now you know how to fix the operating system not listed error without knowing Windows 7 Setup Information file location. If your computer still have boot problems, you may try System Restore from BIOS in Windows 7 as long as you have created restore points before.
Always backup your system for possible errors
Computer errors occur from time to time. You can’t know when your computer will break down. Therefore, you’d better backup your system regularly. Here I’d like to recommend the best free backup software—AOMEI Backupper Standard to you.
It allows you to create bootable media to start your computer when it can’t boot normally. Also it enables you to make different types of backup including system backup, disk backup, file backup, etc. All Windows PC operating systems including Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP are supported. Just download this freeware to have a try. Use two functions in AOMEI Backupper to protect your computer from now on:
1. Create bootable media to boot your computer in case of boot failure.
2. Perform system backup when the computer is in good condition.
Need to find setup information file location in Windows 7? You can follow the method offered in this article to fix the operating system not listed error without locating the Setup Information file.
To backup your PC for possible errors, AOMEI Backupper Standard is enough. However, if you want to protect unlimited computers within your company, you may pick AOMEI Backupper Technician. With the inbuilt AOMEI Image Deploy tool, you are also allowed to deploy/restore system image file on server-side computer to multiple client-side computers over network.