How to fix blue screen on Windows 11？
Hi! I just bought my laptop a few weeks ago, Asus TUF 15, worked very well! It started lagging during zoom call, I restarted it and blue screen showed up. I literally tried every single option available, looked on the internet for solution, nothing. Someone please help :)
- Question from Microsoft Community
If you are troubled by this problem like the above-mentioned users, please read this article to overcome your dilemma.
What does blue screen mean?
Blue screen, also known as Blue Screen of Death (abbreviated as BSOD). This is a screen image displayed by Microsoft’s Windows operating system, which aims to protect the computer system files when an unresolvable system error is encountered. The Blue Screen of Death alert has become an iconic screen. Mostly, it is a system crash phenomenon.
After Microsoft launched Windows 11, it has changed its famous Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) to Black Screen of Death. However, after Microsoft launched the new version of Windows 11 Build 22000.346 system, the Black Screen of Death was changed back to the blue screen.
If you also plagued by the same problem, read below to learn more about this issue and find out what method works best for you.
What is causing blue screen on Windows 11?
Before we jump to how to perform blue screen Windows 11 fix, it is necessary to know what causes this issue first. Listed below are some possible causes of Windows 11 stop code.
☪ Applications incompatibility issues
☪ Memory stick incompatibility/corruption or poor contact
☪ Hardware failure
☪ MBR (Master Boot Record) or system file error
☪ Driver issues
☪ Virus or malware attack
☪ BCD errors
In the next section, we have listed the following possible solutions for you, which you can choose one of them to fix the Windows 11 Black Screen of Death error.
How to fix blue screen on Windows 11 using system utilities
Fix 1. Remove Any Additional Hardware
Sometimes, the external hardware of your PC can cause the BSOD issue. Your computer may not work properly with other hardware installed on it. If you experience a computer crash, you may need to disconnect peripheral devices. For example, external hard drives, Bluetooth mice, keyboards, USB devices etc.
Tip: If you choose one of the five methods below, please start your computer in safe mode first to prevent any problems that may occur when fixing the black screen of death error.
Boot Windows 11 in safe mode:
1. Turn your system completely off, then turn it on. Once your system starts booting, force it to shut down again. Repeat twice more to enter WinRE.
2. Click Advanced options > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings.
3. Then, click Restart, and once the system is rebooted, press F4 to enable safe mode.
Fix 2. Run Memory Diagnostics Tool
The Memory Diagnostic Tool is a very handy tool that can be used to correct any software or hardware-related problem. It can test your memory function and see if the BSOD is occurring due to a memory, motherboard or any hardware failure.
1. While your PC is in safe mode, Press Win+R to open the RUN dialog box, type mdsched.exe, and press Enter.
2. Click on Restart now and check for problems to test for RAM errors.
3. Your system will reboot, and upon reboot, a diagnostic test will initiate. It will show you if there are any errors in your memory.
4. Once the test is completed, restart your PC again and check if the problem is fixed. If it shows some big issues in the RAM, then it is better to replace it.
Fix 3. Scan PC for virus or malware
1. Open the start menu, Type Windows Security into the search field and hit Enter.
2. Click on the Virus & threat protection option.
3. Choose to perform a Full scan, and click Scan now to begin the process.
Fix 4. Update System Drivers
Your computer needs driver software to operate the hardware installed within the system. If these drivers are outdated or do not support these devices, then the system will malfunction. Therefore, you must update them regularly to ensure that defect-free drivers are installed on your computer. You can follow these steps to update your drivers.
1. Press Win+X to open a dialog box and select Device Manager.
2. If you see a yellow triangle icon for any entry, this indicates that there may be a problem with the driver. Right-click these entries and click Update Driver.
3. Click on Search automatically for drivers to let Windows install the necessary updates.
Fix 5. Run SFC scan
Using an SFC scanner is one of the best ways to fix memory problems as well as other system errors. Here is how to perform this operation.
1. Press Win+R to open the RUN box, type “cmd”, and hit Enter.
2. Right-click on Command Prompt option and click Run as Administrator. In this prompt, type SFC /scannow and press Enter. The scan will run and fix your errors if detected.
Fix 6. Perform system restore
If the Blue Screen problem still appears even after trying all of the above solutions, then you can restore your system to previous date. Here are detailed steps.
1. Click on start＞Search, type System Restore, select Create a Restore Point.
2. In the pop-up window, click on System Restore, then you can choose a date you wish to go back.
3. Click on Finish to confirm your restore point.
Verify that if restoring the computer to a previous date solves the blue screen problem.
Best solution to prevent all system errors with third-party freeware
In order not to lose any data after encountering Windows 11 blue screen when using your computer now and then, it is recommended that you create a computer backup in advance. To do that, the full-featured free backup software—AOMEI Backupper Standard can help you from system failure problems. Some features of it are listed below:
◊ It enables you to backup files/system/disk/partition.
◊ It supports backing up to various locations, such as backup Windows 11 to USB, local disks, external hard drives, network share, NAS devices, cloud drives, etc.
◊ It allows you to use the incremental or differential backup (differential backup is available in paid edition) to optimize backup efficiency.
◊ Also, you are allowed to create bootable media in case of system failure or hard drive crashes.
Firstly, download and install AOMEI Backupper on your computer. Then, get the graphical instructions to backup your PC with AOMEI Backupper below.
Step 1. Click Backup on the left side, and then select System Backup.
Step 2. The program automatically chooses the system-related partition(s) as the source data. You just need to select a destination path.
Step 3. Click Start Backup to backup your Windows 11.
✦ Restore the system image backup when system problem occurs:
Click Restore > Select Task or Select Image File. Then, follow the wizard to complete the system recovery process.
To sum up
That’s all about the 6 fixes to tackle blue screen on Windows 11. Hope one of them can meet your needs and solve BSOD error successfully. From my perspective, I think the easiest way to do this is to create a system backup in advance with powerful software—AOMEI Backupper, so that if you face any system problems, you can use this backup to easily restore your computer to previous healthy state.
In addition, if you are stuck with any other issues such as how to clone SSD to SSD on Windows 11, this full-featured freeware can help you a lot. Don’t hesitate to explore more and try it now!