Redo Backup and Restore or Alternative in Windows 10
You will learn to backup disk without booting into Windows using Redo backup Windows 10 and AOMEI Backupper Standard (for more situations).
Redo backup for Windows 10
Redo Backup (formerly ) or Redo Rescue is a free backup software for Windows, Mac and Linux in the form of a bootable live CD. It allows you to back up the entire hard drive or single partition to an image file and save it to external hard drives, USB flash drive and network shares.
With the network share, you don't even need to know any details about a shared folder or network-attached storage device. Because it will automatically seek out available shared files or disks when you use it to back up the disk.
Aside from that, Redo Rescue also includes a web browser. You can access the web to download drivers and troubleshoot your computer problems. To users who don't want to learn arcane commands, Redo Rescue seems to be a great disk backup and recovery solution.
Redo backup and restore review
Every product has its own advantages and disadvantages, Redo Backup is not an exception. Here is a review for Redo backup and restore.
|Simple graphical user interface||Not burn ISO file|
|Backup files/disks without booting Windows||Equal or larger restore location required (It can't modify the bootloader)|
|Compatible with Linux and Windows system||Not support compression|
|Find network shares files/disks automatically||Slow runing speed|
|Recover deleted files with built-in file recovery tool.|
How to Use Redo backup and recovery in Windows 10
As mentioned before, Redo backup is in form of bootable live CD, but it only offers you a 600MB ISO file without burning. Thus, if you want to use it, you still need to download ISO file and burn it to CD/DVD in advance.
Step 1. Insert the live CD/DVD to your computer, set boot priority in BIOS and boot from it. It will load a complete mini operating system with a point-and-click user interface into your computer's memory.
Step 2. Click Start Redo Backup option in the main page.
Step 3. Click the Backup option to create an image for your computer.
Step 4. Select source drive, destination drive and then specific folder to save the image. Then, click Next to use Redo Backup and Restore for backup.
Tips on how to restore image with Redo Rescue backup and recovery:
1. Boot your computer from CD/DVD created by Redo Backup, then select Start Redo Backup and Restore.
2. Select the drive containing the backup image and click Next.
3. Select the destination drive you want to restore the backup image and click Next. Then, click Yes to confirm you want to perform this task.
Need Redo backup and recovery alternative - AOMEI Backupper Standard
Redo Backup and Restore help you to backup disk without booting into Wndows and greatly reduces the risk of data loss if there is a disaster. However, in the following situations, you need the best alternative for Redo backup in Windows 10.
- You don't want to burn the ISO image file manually. The bootable CD/DVD is easily lost due to its small size and is likely to be damaged owing to human error or a hit.
- You want a more flexible way - you can choose to backup disk with or without booting Windows.
- You want a way to backup disk without interrupting the operation in progress.
- You want to schedule backup disk.
In view of this, I strongly recommend you free backup software AOMEI Backupper Standard. It fully meets the above requirements and offers you more helpful ways for continuous data protection.
- Backup disk with less space. It not only schedule backup disk (daily, weekly, monthly), but also use incremental backup to backup only changed files. This combination greatly reduces the backup image size and disk space you will use, especially in the long run.
- Besides incremental backup, it still use normal compression, automatic splitting and intelligent sector backup to further reduce backup image and disk space usage.
- Backup and restore without booting into Windows. It allows you to create bootable media with CD/DVD or USB drive to boot computer when it's unbootable.
- Support multiple storage. You can backup to external hard drive, cloud drive like Google Drive, network drive, NAS, etc.
In addition, this software has an intuitive interface, so all the users can easily understand and use it as a professional. Please download it to have a try!
Here you will use Redo Backup Windows 10 UEFI or BIOS alternative to backup disk without booting Windows. Before starting, please make preparations in the following:
- Prepare a USB drive (at least 16GB) to create bootable media for your computer.
- An external hard drive to store disk image, either HDD or SSD. If it's not initialized, please initialize the disk in the disk management.
- If your computer is a laptop, you still need a USB-to-SATA or USB-to-IDE cable, adapter, or encloser.
Part 1: Create a bootable USB drive
Step 1. Plug your USB drive into your computer first and make sure it can be recognized. Then, open this software, and click Tools > Create Bootable Media subsequently.
Step 2. Select Bootable Disc Type: Windows PE - Create bootable disc based on Windows PE. If you are using Window XP or Window Vista, you need to install Windows AIK first in most cases.
Step 3. Choose USB Boot Device and click Next. Then, it will create a bootable USB drive automatically just wait patiently.
Part 2. Backup disk without booting into Windows
Step 1. Plug the bootable USB drive into your computer and start from it. Then, click Backup and Disk Backup subsequently in the recovery environment.
Step 2. Click Add Disk > select disk you want to backup and then the destination path to store backup image.
Step 3. Click Options or Schedule to customize the backup task. Finally, Click Start Backup to backup disk without booting into Windows.
>> Options: You can make a comment for this task, compress image file with normal or high compression level, create pre/post-command etc.
>> Schedule Backup: You can perform schedule backup regularly at a fixed interval, such as, daily, weekly, or monthly. Also, you can use event trigger or USB plug in in the professional version.
This process may take a while to complete and it depends on how many data you have. Once the process ends, you can restore Windows 10 image to new hard drive, swap hard drive and boot from it.
Also, you can restore computer with dissimilar hardware with the help of "Universal Restore" feature. It is available on the professional version at least.
Redo backup and recovery in Windows 10 only allows you to backup disk without booting into Windows. If you want one more flexible way, try AOMEI Backupper Standard. With it, you can choose to backup disk with or without booting into Windows. And it focuses on continuous data protection with help of its schedule backup, options and backup scheme feature.
Besides, you can easily restore disk to new hard drive or SSD with a backup image in hand, even for dissimilar hardware. And it still offers you another fast recovery way - directly clone hard drive to another one with "Disk Clone" feature. Afterward, you can directly replace the old disk and boot from it without restoring the image first. All in all, it's a worth trying software to protect system or data!