How Do I Transfer Music from My Computer to a USB Stick
Some music lovers may have a problem transferring music from their computer to a USB stick, don’t worry about it much, this article provides you with 4 effective ways below.
User Case: How to Put Music on USB Drive for Car
Copying music files to a thumb drive
“I have downloaded music from googles music site, using their google player app on my MS Surface Book 2. Now I would like to copy these music files to a thumb drive so I can play them in my car. I have no idea how to do this. If anyone can help me, would be most grateful. Thank you!”
- Question from Microsoft
Like the user above, you may need to transfer music from PC to USB stick. You can use this USB flash drive to quickly transfer music files from one computer to another, save music backups, or play music on devices that support USB drives. But how to transfer music from PC to USB flash drive?
Top 4 Ways to Transfer Music from PC to USB Flash Drive
In this part, I will show you 4 ways to transfer music from your computer to a USB stick. Before transferring music files, you need to do some preparations.
- Insert the USB drive into a USB port on your computer. Try to use the ports on your computer directly instead of using a USB hub, as they will slow down the transfer speed.
- Confirm the location of the music file you want to copy to the USB drive. Your music files may be located in a variety of locations on your computer. Many programs store music files in your "Music" folder. If you've downloaded music from a website, it will likely be in your "Downloads" folder. To put music on a flash drive easily, you could keep them together.
Way 1. Copy Music onto Your Flash Drive with the Best Free Sync Software
The first method I will show you is to use the best free file sync tool - AOMEI Backupper Standard to automatically transfer your music files to the USB stick. All Windows PC operating systems like Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP are supported. It is embedded with different sync modes – “Basic Sync”, “Mirror Sync”, “Real-Time Sync” and “Two-Way Sync” (You can enjoy the latter 3 modes in advanced versions).
To transfer music files with this freeware, follow the steps below:
Step 1. Click the download button below to install it on your computer. For server users, try AOMEI Backupper Server!
Step 2. Launch AOMEI Backupper Standard. Click Sync on the left menu and then select Basic Sync.
Step 3. Then click Add Folder to choose the music files from the computer that you want to transfer to the USB flash drive. You can sync multiple folders simultaneously by clicking the “+” icon after you add the first source folder.
Step 4. Click the inverted triangle at the right edge of the second bar to choose Select a local path.
Step 5. In the pop-up window, click This PC and select your USB as the destination.
Step 6. Click on Start Sync to perform the operation. If you want to continuously copy music files to your flash drive, such as new music, you need to set a schedule sync task, otherwise, you will not receive it.
✡ Options: You can write a comment for your current operation, and set up email notifications so that you can receive timely notifications about task results.
✡ Schedule Sync: You can set the synchronization task to run at Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Event triggers, and USB plug in. The last 2 are available after you upgrade to AOMEI Backupper Professional. To copy music files onto your flash drive, the easiest way is to use the USB plug in feature, it's more flexible, copies files automatically when USB connected, rather than at a specific time.
💛 Bonus tip: backup music to AOMEI Cloud
If you want to create a backup for your music, you could consider using AOMEI Cloud. Compared to a USB drive, a cloud drive is less subject to getting lost or infected. Just click Backup > Cloud Backup to make it.
Way 2. Traditional “Copy” and “Paste” & Manual Drag and Drop
You can also transfer music from PC to USB stick in the most familiar way. If your music files are too large, this can be very time-consuming.
◍ Traditional “Copy” and “Paste”
- Navigate to the folders in your computer containing music files you want to transfer. Right-click on the file you want to copy, then select Copy.
- Then click This PC, find your USB flash drive under Devices and drives. Double click it to open it.
- Then right-click within the window and select Paste.
◍ Manual Drag and Drop
- First, navigate to the folders in your computer containing music files you want to transfer. Keep this window open, don't close it.
- Then press Win + E to open File Explorer. Find This PC and open your USB stick.
- Select the music folder you want to transfer. Then click it again, don't let go. Drag it to the USB window, and then drop.
Way 3. Put Music on Flash Drive with “Send to”
You can also directly transfer music from your computer to a USB stick with “Send to” feature.
- Navigate to the folders in your computer containing music files you want to transfer.
- Right-click on it. Then select Send to and select your USB drive.
Way 4. Transfer Music Using Windows Media Player
The last method I will show you how to put music on flash drive from computer using Windows Media Player.
- Type Windows Media Player in the search box and click on the result to open it.
- Here I take the transfer of podcasts as an example. Select Music from the left panel to view your files, right-click the podcast you want to transfer to the flash drive, select Add to and click Sync list. The audio tracks are added to the Sync list.
- Once the podcasts are in the Sync list, just click on Start Sync.
- Once the Sync is complete you will get a screen like this.
To Sum Up
After reading this article, I believe you will no longer ask “How do I transfer music from my computer to a USB stick?”. The four methods provided in this article can help you effectively transfer your music files. After comparing all aspects, I suggest you try AOMEI Backupper. Transferring files is a breeze, it can not only help you transfer music files, but also transfer photos from your computer to a USB drive.
Alongside its Sync functions, it is also embedded with other powerful functions such as Clone, Backup, Restore and Tools. You can even use it to transfer Windows OS and data to USB stick or other external drives.