After getting the new iPhone, some people would like to transfer all data to new iPhone while some just want to move some important data and you're in the latter category. The contacts may be the most important data stored on iPhone and you definitely want to transfer them to the new one. After all, the phone number is one of the immediate ways to let you get in touch with others by making a phone call or sending a message.
iCloud is the official cloud storage and cloud computing service to help users store iOS data as well as sync data among devices so you are planning to transfer contacts to new iPhone with the help of it. Well, indeed you can transfer contacts from iPhone to iPhone using iCloud but it also has shortcomings. So here in this guide, I’ll not only detail the iCloud way but also introduce another quick way to transfer contacts from iPhone to iPhone.
There are two ways you can try to transfer contacts from iPhone to iPhone using iCloud. You can turn on the iCloud sync to only sync contacts or restore from an iCloud backup that contains the contacts.
● Log in with the same Apple account on two devices. Or if you have created a new account for the new iPhone, refer to this Transfer Contacts from One Apple ID to Another guide to get the method.
● Connect the two iPhones to a stable Wi-Fi network.
● Plug in your iPhone if the battery is low.
Method 1. How to Sync Contacts from iPhone to iPhone via iCloud
Once you have turned on the Contacts in iCloud, all your iPhone contacts will be synced to iCloud server. If you turn on Contacts on other devices that are logged in with the same Apple ID, the contacts on that device will also be merged to iCloud. When you add or update a contact, iCloud makes the change everywhere.
On your old iPhone: Go to Settings > Tap [your anme] > iCloud > Turn on Contacts > When you're asked if you want to Merge or Cancel, tap Merge.
On your new iPhone: Do the same above to turn on the Contacts in iCloud.
Wait for the contacts on old iPhone syncing to new iPhone. If there are lots of contacts that need to be synced to iCloud server, it may take a while to finish. You can go to the Contacts app and pull down from the top of the screen to refresh the contacts.
Method 2. How to Transfer Contacts from iPhone to iPhone with iCloud Backup
You can also choose to restore a whole iCloud backup that contains the contacts. First backup your old iPhone with iCloud and then restore the backup on new iPhone. If you do not mind restoring all old iPhone contents and settings, see the steps below.
On your old iPhone: Go to Settings > Tap [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup > Turn on iCloud Backup > Tap Back Up Now.
Note: It may take a while to finish the backup since it will backup the whole device. If there is not enough iCloud storage space, the backup may fail. (5 GB free storage space)
On your new iPhone: Set up your new iPhone until you see the Apps & Data screen, choose Restore from iCloud Backup and follow the prompts to finish restoring the iPhone backup and copy your old contacts to the new phone.
If you have already set up the device, you can go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings to erase your iPhone (iOS 15 and later: Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Erase All Content and Settings). Set up your new iPhone until you see the Apps & Data screen and choose Restore from iCloud Backup.
From the above, you know how to transfer contacts from iPhone to iPhone with iCloud. However, neither of the two methods would allow you to transfer selected contacts but all of them. So here comes another easier way to help you transfer needed iPhone contacts. That’s FoneTool.
It’s one professional iPhone data manager and also offers a way to help you transfer data between two iDevices.
Two steps to complete the transfer:
① Transfer contacts from source iPhone to computer
② Transfer contacts from computer to target iPhone
You can select the contacts you want to transfer. Most of all, there is no need to reset the target iPhone and it will not erase any existing data on device.
It supports all models of iPhone from iPhone 4 to the latest iPhone 14 series and would be perfectly compatible with the latest iOS version. Download the tool on your PC and follow the steps below to transfer contacts from iPhone to iPhone.
1. Launch FoneTool > Connect source iPhone that contains the contacts you want to transfer.
2. Click Phone Transfer and go to iPhone to PC > Click the plus icon and choose Contacts > Select the contacts you want to transfer and click OK to confirm.
3. Click Start Transfer > Select the storage path and format (Select CSV if you want to export iPhone contacts to Excel.) > Click Transfer button to start transferring the contacts.
4. Unplug the source iPhone and connect the target iPhone to computer > Click PC to iPhone option this time.
5. Click Contacts icon > Choose the contacts you exported before > Finally, click Start Transfer to complete the task.
Besides selective transfer, FoneTool also supports full transfer. The iPhone to iPhone Transfer tool can help you transfer contacts, messages, photos, calendars, app data files, system settings, etc. with one click.
That’s all about how to copy contacts from iPhone to iPhone with iCloud. You can choose to sync all iPhone contacts to new iPhone or restore the whole iCloud backup that includes the contacts. Or if you only want to transfer selected contacts, FoneTool is the way to go.
FoneTool Runs Perfectly on
- iOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPadOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPhone 14/14 Pro (Max), 13/13 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 12/12 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max)
- iPhone X/XR/XS/XS Max, iPhone 8/8 Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6/6s/6s Plus
- iPhone SE (1st, 2nd, 3rd generations)
- iPod touch 1/2/3/4/5/6/7
- All models of iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad Pro and iPad