iTunes is the official tool helping users to backup iPhone to Windows computer. However, a pop window appears and tells you that “iTunes could not back up the iPhone because not enough free space is available on this computer”, even if you are sure that there is actually enough space to complete the backup. Go through this guide to get the solutions to fix this iTunes backup failed problem.
How to Fix iTunes Backup Failed Not Enough Space Error?
Try the following methods one by one to troubleshoot the iPhone backup failed not enough space error.
Solution 1. Free Up Disk Space
Since it says that the backup cannot be created because not enough free space is available on computer, you can try to free up more space to let iTunes complete the backup.
■ Delete Old iTunes Backup
iTunes backup can occupy considerable space of your hard drive. Just delete some old backups to free up more space. Besides, the iTunes backup failed error may occur if the last backup is corrupt. So you can also delete the last backup.
→ Open iTunes > Click Edit > Choose Preferences...> Click Devices tab > Select the backup you want to delete > Click Delete Backup to confirm.
Or you can also choose to delete old backups in the backup location:
For PC:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
For Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
Note: If you see some folders with the time stamp to the end, just delete them. These folders were created during the restore process: iTunes would extract the backup library and another new folder with a time stamp to the end of the backup library would be created.
■ Delete Other Old Files or Apps
Delete files you are no longer using. If you have photos or music that you want to keep, you can move them to removable media, such as external hard drive, USB drive, or cloud storage. For those apps you no longer need, just go to Programs and Features to uninstall them.
■ Run Disk Cleanup
This utility can help you remove unnecessary files on your system hard disk.
1. Go to Start > Type Disk Cleanup > Click it from the list.
2. Select the drive that you want to clean up > Select OK.
3. Select Clean up system files > Click OK.
4. Select file types that you want to delete > Click OK.
Solution 2. Restart Your iPhone and Computer
Sometimes a simple restart can help you get out of trouble. Disconnect your iPhone and restart your computer and iPhone. Run iTunes again to have a try.
Solution 3. Check USB Connection
The iTunes backup failed error may also occur due to the unstable connection between iPhone and computer. So please make sure the USB port is working correctly.
- Use the Apple-certified USB cable.
- Try a different USB port.
- Directly connect your iPhone to computer instead of using attached keyboard or USB hub.
Solution 4. Update iTunes to the Latest Version
The old version of iTunes can cause many problems like the iTunes backup failed not enough space on computer error. So just update iTunes to the latest version. ClickHelp on the menu bar of iTunes > Select Check for Updates to have a check. If there’s a new version, just follow the prompts to make it.
Solution 5. Try iTunes Alternative to Backup iPhone
If all the above methods cannot help you fix the iTunes backup failed problem, there’s another way to go: try one iTunes alternative to help you backup iPhone. AOMEI MBackupper, one free PC-based iPhone backup manager is recommended here. It comes with the "Custom Backup" feature allowing you to backup iPhone easier and more flexibly.
Compared to iTunes, here are its outstanding features.
- AOMEI MBackupper support preview and select items on your device. You can choose only backup photos, videos, messages, and contacts to your PC.
- This tool uses an easy-to-use and intuitive interface on computer. Anyone can easily complete the backup operation.
- AOMEI MBackupper gives you a much faster backup speed than iTunes and other tools.
- You can change the backup location and view and manage the backup files easily. You can even backup your iPhone to an external hard drive.
Steps to Backup iPhone with this iTunes Alternative
1. Download, install, and launch AOMEI MBackupper > Connect your iPhone to computer via USB cable > Tap “Trust” on the screen to give your computer access to your iPhone.
2. Click Custom Backup option and then you can select the data you want to backup.
◆ You can click each icon to preview and select the items. For example, click Contacts icon to view and select the contacts you want to backup > Click OK to continue.
3. Select the storage path > Click Start Backup button to make it.
When the process is finished, you can check the backup task on the Backup Management screen. Here you can choose to locate, browse, delete, or restore the backup files. It’s also possible to click the triangle icon to run an incremental backup next time.
That’s all for how to fix the iTunes backup failed not enough space problem. Does this passage solve your problem? If so, you could share it to help more people. Or if you have any other idea, just leave a comment to discuss with us.