Music is a good companion in life. You could purchase and download many albums from iTunes store. Listening to music on computer is not enough, so you want to import them to iPhone by iTunes so you don’t need to take a long time to download them again.
Sometimes you will find the iTunes Sync button greyed out or part of iTunes music library cannot be checked, or Add to device option greyed out so you can’t transfer music to iPhone. The causes will be explained in the next section, follow this passage to know the issue and easily fix it.
To import music to iPhone, just connect iPhone to iTunes with USB cable > click the device button of iPhone > select Music section > check Sync Music > select music from iTunes library > check Sync button.
If you find the Sync button is greyed out and is not clickable. The causes usually come from iTunes itself, system glitches, or wrong configuration. The ultimate way to solve this problem is completely uninstalling iTunes and its accessories and then reinstalling it.
Some iTunes settings and iPhone settings need to be changed to help you successfully import music to iPhone.
Before trying the following methods to fix the issue, you need to make sure the USB connection is OK. If you have a problem that iTunes could not backup iPhone for disconnecting, you need to check USB cable, USB port, and driver. Rebooting iPhone will be also helpful.
Method 1. Disable iCloud Music Library on iPhone
iCloud Music Library needs to be turned off on iPhone, or you can’t drag and drop music to iPhone.
1. Go to Settings app on iPhone.
2. Locate and select Music
3. Switch off iCloud Music Library.
Method 2. Check Manually manage music and videos
If you can’t select the songs from computer, iTunes needs to be grant permission to sync songs.
1. Connect iPhone to iTunes with USB cable and click the device icon to enter Summary.
2. Scroll down the screen to find and check Manually manage music and videos.
Method 3. Show list view tickboxes
If you find the option Sync only checked songs and videos greyed out or some of your songs in iTunes library are greyed out. You could let them be selectable.
1. Click Edit in iTunes and select Preferences.
2. In General section, check list view tickboxes.
Method 4. Click Apply to work like clicking Sync
After you select all the music you want to sync from computer to iPhone, only to find there is no option Sync at the bottom of the screen, you just need to click the button Apply next to the storage information.
Method 5. Completely uninstall iTunes and reinstall it
If you have tried restarting iTunes or updating iTunes but still not solve the problem, you need to fully remove iTunes, along with the system glitches from your computer.
1. Press Windows Key + R and input Control to open Control Panel.
2. Find and click iTunes to uninstall it.
3. Uninstall Apple Software Update, Apple Mobile Device Support, Bonjour, Apple Application Support in order
4. Download and install the latest iTunes again.
Actually, sync music via iTunes has some shortcomings like deleting some previously added music. And it sometimes it will have some error lead to a sync error. So if the aboved methods can't help you, or want another alternative method, here we would like to introduce-FoneTool.
It is an excellent free iPhone music transfer tool. With this tool, you can easily and successfully transfer music from PC to iPhone, from iPhone to PC, and iPhone/iPad to iPhone/iPad.
Step 1. Download FoneTool and connect iPhone to computer with USB cable.
Step 2. Select PC to iPhone from the bottom of the home screen.
Step 3. Drag and drop music to the box or click the folder icon to select and add music from computer > Click Open to confirm.
Step 4. Click Start Transfer to sync music to iPhone.
iTunes is an often-used tool to sync music to iPhone. What to do if you find iTunes sync greyed out and can’t import music or other data to iPhone? The 5 methods in this passage will fix iTunes sync button greyed out issue.
FoneTool is a better tool than iTunes to transfer music. You can try it to transfer files from PC to iPad or iPhone.
Share this passage and it would help more people.
FoneTool Runs Perfectly on
- iOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPadOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPhone 14/14 Pro (Max), 13/13 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 12/12 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max)
- iPhone X/XR/XS/XS Max, iPhone 8/8 Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6/6s/6s Plus
- iPhone SE (1st, 2nd, 3rd generations)
- iPod touch 1/2/3/4/5/6/7
- All models of iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad Pro and iPad