How to Backup Text Messages on iPhone 14/13/12: Top 3 Ways
This guide will show you how to backup text messages on iPhone with or without iCloud. The method to save text messages to computer is also included.
- Why Need to Backup Text Messages on iPhone?
- Way 1. How to Save Text Messages on iPhone to Computer
- Way 2. How to Backup Text Messages on iPhone to iCloud
- Way 3. How to Backup Text Messages on iPhone Using iTunes
- Final Words
Can You Backup Text Messages on iPhone?
“I just want to backup text messages on my iPhone X and save them to my computer. Because these messages contain many good memories, events worthy of joy or record, or important information. I don’t want to lose them for any reason. Is there a way to backup text messages? Any kind advice will be appreciated.” – Apple Community
Why Need to Backup Text Messages on iPhone?
Way 1. How to Save Text Messages on iPhone to Computer
Speaking of backing up text messages on iPhone, you may want the best way. So, in this article, I’ll first introduce you to the best one. Next, you will get FoneTool and user guide.
FoneTool is a professional iPhone backup & transfer tool for Windows PC users. It can help you on how to save text messages on iPhone to computer with a few clicks.
● It allows you to backup and restore text messages/iMessages selectively.
● Messages are readable. You can view the backup messages through the tool.
● The backup messages can be restored to any iPhone and no existing data will be erased.
How to Save Text Messages on iPhone to PC
1. Download, install and run FoneTool > Connect your iPhone to computer using the USB cable, enter passcode on screen when asked.
2. Click Phone Backup on the left pane. Move the mouse to Selective Backup, and click Get Started.
3. Uncheck other options and only keep the Messages icon ticked.
4. Double-click the message icon and uncheck the messages you don’t want to backup, then click OK to return to the main page.
5. Click Backup Storage Path to choose a location to save the backup files on your computer. After that, click Start Backup to start the task.
If you want to view your text messages, you can select the backup and click the eye-like shape button “Browse”, then view any messages as you like.
If you want to transfer text messages to new iPhone, you can use the “Restore” option.
Way 2. How to Backup Text Messages on iPhone to iCloud
iCloud can backup your text messages, contacts, notes, photos, etc. The problem is that iCloud will backup all of your messages but only offer you 5GB of free space. So, you may need to pay for extra space. Let's see how to iPhone messages.
How to Backup Text Messages on iPhone in iOS 11.3 and Later
Messages in iCloud can help you save all your messages to iCloud and you can view them on any device with the same Apple ID. Here's the steps on how to back up text messages on iPhone.
1. Connect your iPhone to Wi-Fi.
2. Go to Settings, tap on the user profile at the top of screen, choose iCloud.
3. Find Messages and turn it on by clicking the slide button.
How to Backup iPhone Messages in iOS 11 and Earlier
You can create an iCloud backup to save all your messages as well as other iPhone content.
1. Go to iCloud by the above steps.
2. Scroll down to Backup and turn on iCloud Backup, then tap Back Up Now option. After that, just wait unless the process ends.
Way 3. How to Backup Text Messages on iPhone Using iTunes
Like iCloud, iTunes will backup all files on the iPhone instead of only text messages. Besides, the backup cannot be accessed unless you restore it. Even worse, the current data will be removed after restoration.
If you only want to backup messages and preview text messages without restoring, go back to the first method. If that’s not a problem, see the steps below on how to backup messages on iPhone along with other files.
How to Save Text Messages on iPhone to Computer with iTunes
1. Download and install the latest version of iTunes. Connect your iPhone to computer, unlock it, and click Trust This Computer if needed.
2. Open your iTunes, click the iPhone icon, and go to Summary. Then tick This Computer and click Back Up Now. Just be patient and wait for the final result.
That's all about how to backup text messages on iPhone. Which method do you prefer?
● If you want to save text messages on iPhone to computer, then FoneTool is the way to go. It can help you backup selected messages with amazing speed.
● If you want to backup text messages on iPhone to iCloud, you can turn on Messages in iCloud feature. The messages will appear on all your devices that use the same Apple ID.
● If you want to backup text messages as well as other content, iTunes can help you with this.
Have questions about this guide? Please feel free to leave a comment and we will reply to you as soon as possible.