Split Larger Image File into Multiple Smaller Files
A backup image file takes less space than an intact copy, but if the source data is huge in size, the image file can also be large. In this case, you may face the following problems when trying to store the image file in a safe place:
The image file is too large to be stored on any of your storage devices. For example, if the image file is 6 GB, and you own two 4 GB USB flash drives. You cannot store it in any of the USB apparently. Instead, you may want to split the image into 2 image files at first.
You want to split an image file into several smaller fragments so as to separately store them to CD or DVD. Then an image file splitting tool would be necessary.
You want to store an image file larger than 4GB into a FAT32 partition, while the FAT32 partition only supports a maximum file size of 4GB. Thus you have to split it into smaller-than-4GB ones to meet the storage requirement of FAT32 file system.
If you have similar problems, then AOMEI Backupper is a feasible solution allowing you to split a larger image file into smaller files.
Best Free Backup Software Allowing You to Split Image File
AOMEI Backupper is a complete backup and restore program running in Windows. Its free edition, AOMEI Backupper Standard enables you to do file backup, partition backup, system backup and disk backup in various modes and with practical options.
💜 Backup modes
- Incremental backup: backup only changed data since last full/incremental backup.
- Sector by sector backup: backup every sector on the disk/partition whether it is used or not.
- Automatic backup: enable schedule backup to run a backup daily, weekly, or monthly.
💜 Backup options
- Image file splitting: split a larger image file into several smaller ones. Thus you can freely customize the backup to fit in different storage devices, like CD, FAT32 partition, smaller USB drive and so on.
- Image file compression: compress an image file to some extent so as to save disk space.
Free download AOMEI Backupper to have a try now!
How to Split Larger Image File into Smaller Files Step by Step
It only takes several steps to create a backup and split the image file with AOMEI Backupper. Here take Partition Backup as an example:
1. Launch the software, select Backup and choose Partition Backup.
2. Click Add Partition or Volume to specify the source data you want to backup.
3. Select a destination. If you want to back up it to a removable device like USB or DVD, insert it to the comptuer at first.
4. Click Options at the bottom, and in the popping up window, select Advanced > Splitting and choose an option in the drop-down menu.
5. Click Start Backup to run the task and wait for it to complete.
To adjust the image file size, you can also click Options > Advanced > Compresion to choose from None, Normal or High in the drop-down menu. The higher the compression level is, the smaller an image file will be and the longer it will take.
Before restoring from split image file, it's better to verify its integrity by image file checking.