Full Guide: How to Let Outlook Save Email as EML File
This article presents a step-by-step guide on how to let Outlook save email as EML file, and introduces an alternative way to save Outlook emails for data security.
How Do I Save an Outlook 365 Email as an EML File?
Outlook saves email as EML on Windows 10
I am using Outlook app on my Windows 10 laptop. I need to archive certain emails from Outlook in a .eml format. I cannot print to PDF, as I need to retain attachments and other elements that are usually lost. Is there a way to letOutlook save email as EML file?
- Question from answers.microsoft.com
In Outlook, it is easy to export Outlook emails to PST or save a message as a PDF file. But if you ever tried to save Outlook email as EML, you may find it difficult. Here, we will introduce a feasible way to help you save Outlook message as EML easily.
What is EML File?
The EML format stands for "Electronic Mail Message." It is a widely used file format for storing and exchanging email messages. EML files typically contain the entire content of an email message, including the message text, sender and recipient information, subject, date, and any attachments. Usually, each message is saved in a single file.
The saving of Outlook emails as EML format has many benefits:
- Text-based: EML files are usually stored in a plain text format, making them easy to read and edit with a simple text editor. This makes them a flexible and portable way to archive or share email messages, and access them offline.
- Periodic backup: To protect the data from any kind of threats and attacks, it is wise to back up all the important emails and save them into an EML file.
- Wide compatibility: EML is a universal format supported by most email clients, including Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, Apple Mail, and many others. It is also often used for migrating or transferring email messages between different email applications or servers.
How to Let Outlook Save Email as EML File
To let Outlook 365 save email as EML file, you can use the "Save As" function in the Microsoft Outlook desktop app. Here are the steps:
1. Select a message you want to save, and click "File" > "Save As."
2. In the Outlook Save As dialog box, select "Text Only" from the Save as type drop-down list. Specify the location where you want to save the file and click "Save."
3. After saving the email in text format, open the text file you saved. Click "File" -> "Save As."
4. In the Notepad Save As dialog, select "All Files" from Save as type drop-down list. Then, add ".eml" to the end of the file name. Finally, click "Save."
Now, you have successfully saved the Outlook email as EML format.
Auto Backup Outlook Emails with Professional Outlook Backup Software
If you are saving Outlook email as EML for a backup purpose, there is an easier solution for Outlook email backup - using professional Outlook backup software like AOMEI Backupper Professional. This software provides a range of backup solutions tailored to meet your needs, making the process simpler and more efficient.
Download AOMEI Backupper now and learn how to backup Outlook emails with this software as follows. (PS: After backup, you can delete the emails from your Outlook account to free up storage space, and restore email backup when you need it.)
1. Launch AOMEI Backupper, click "Backup", and select "Outlook Backup."
2. Click on "Add Outlook Data". In the popup window, choose the emails or other mailboxes from your Microsoft 365 email account as the backup source.
3. Select a destination path where you want to store the backup image. You have three options: Select a local path, Add Share or NAS Devices, and Select a cloud drive. For example, to backup Outlook emails to hard drive, opt for Select a local path, and specify a local location.
4. For an automated Outlook email backup task, just tap on Schedule Backup to set up the scheduling preferences. Finally, click "Start Backup" to initiate the Outlook email backup process.
Getting Outlook save email as EML is a cakewalk, provided you follow the right method. It brings several benefits, like creating backup, accessing emails offline, and switching to another account. However, Outlook exporting email as EML can be time-consuming, especially when dealing with a large number of emails, as it can only export one email at a time. Thus, the manual approach is particularly handy when you need to export just a single email or a small batch of emails.
For those looking to backup a lot of Outlook emails or other Outlook data, AOMEI Backupper Professional offers a superior solution. This professional software allows you to backup desired mailboxes easily, and it can help you save email backups to any location. Except for Outlook emails, you can use it to backup Gmail, Yahoo Mail, and other popular email services with ease.