SWF File Recovery: Get Deleted SWF Videos Back Quickly
Losing SWF files can be a distressing experience. But it’s possible to recover deleted SWF files and there are two effective SWF file recovery methods.
What Is a SWF File?
The SWF (Small Web Format) file was originally created and used to display animation by FutureWave Software, and later acquired by Adobe. It becomes an Adobe Flash file format that contains video, vector animation, interactive graphics, and even audio. In addition, it is the standard way to create browser-based games.
The .swf files can be created in different Adobe products, such as Flash Builder, Adobe Animate, Adobe After Effect, etc. If you are familiar with the command line utility, you still can create SWF files using MXMLC.
Common Causes of SWF File Loss
Before delving into SWF file recovery, it is best for you to know the possible reasons. It gives you some clues to recover deleted SWF files and implement further preventive measures.
- Accidental Deletion: One of the most common reasons for SWF file loss is accidental deletion. Users may unintentionally delete important SWF files while cleaning or organizing their systems.
- Formatting: Formatting the storage media without creating a backup can lead to permanent SWF file loss.
- Data Corruption: SWF files may become corrupted due to an unexpected power failure, malware infection, or system crash, rendering them inaccessible.
- Software Errors: Issues with SWF player software or third-party tools can sometimes result in the loss of SWF files.
- Hardware Failure: Physical damage or malfunction of storage devices can cause a loss of SWF files.
How to Recover Deleted SWF Files Successfully
While there are several ways to do this, even newbie friendly, the success rate is diminishing. So always try the method with the highest success rate. In addition, you need to pay more attention to the following items:
- Don’t add new data to your device containing SWF files.
- Don’t format your storage device after data loss.
- If your device is an SSD disk, be sure it’s not TRIM-enabled.
- Check the Recycle Bin folder and see if your deleted SWF files are there.
- Start data recovery as soon as possible. The longer the data has been lost, the more likely it is to be overwritten.
Method 1: Employ SWF File Recovery Software
Several specialized SWF file recovery software are available that can scan your storage devices thoroughly for lost or deleted SWF files and attempt to recover deleted SWF files effortlessly in simple steps. We recommend you use professional software like MyRecover.
- Retrieve deleted or lost SWF files in any scenario, such as accidental deletion, formatting, virus infection, etc.
- Support a wide range of file types and 200+ file formats, such as X3F, 3FR, R3D, SWF, VWX, TPL, and more.
- Filter file types like images, videos, documents, etc. quickly. You can also set the date modified and size.
- Keep your SWF files with their original file name, path, format, and quality, depending on the storage device you are using.
- Multiple storage devices compatible, including internal or external disk, USB drive, memory card, etc.
In addition, the software does not require technical expertise and is friendly to novices, making the recovery process seamless. Please download this professional Windows data recovery software to have a try!
Step 1. Launch Windows data recovery software - MyRecover. Then, select your disk and click Start Scan.
Step 2. It will run Quick Scan and Deep Scan automatically to find out all the deleted SWF files. To locate them quickly, use the Filter feature or go to the original location in the left panel.
Step 3. Select your desired files and then click Recover x files to recover deleted SWF files. You will then be asked to select a location. Please select a new location instead of the original location to prevent potential data overwriting.
- The restore button will display the number of selected files and their full size. You can use it to determine the integrity of the recovered files.
- You can perform SWF file recovery for free, up to 30MB. Once exceeded, please upgrade to the advanced editions.
- In addition, you still can use this software to recover different file types, such as Recover deleted X3F, 3FR, WMV, DBF, ASPX, LAB, etc.
For severe cases of data loss or corruption, it's best to seek help from professionals in data recovery services, such as CBL, Ontrack, Geek Squad, etc. who have the expertise and tools to retrieve your SWF files.
Method 2: Restore Deleted SWF Files from Backups
If you have a habit of backing up your data regularly, you might be in luck. Restoring SWF files from a backup created by Windows backup software like File History or Backup and Restore (Windows 7) is the most straightforward method of recovery.
From File History:
Step 1. Type file history in the search box and select Restore your files with file history.
Step 2. In the Control Panel, check if File History is on and select Restore personal files.
Step 3. Browse the most recent backup for deleted TPL files. Then, select it and click Restore.
From Backup and Restore:
Step 1. Navigate to Control Panel > System and Security and select Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
Step 2. It will list the last backup if you enable this software. Then, click Restore my files.
Step 3. In the Restore Files window, you can search or browse for files and folders to restore.
- Search: type part of the name of files and select the deleted files to restore.
- Browse for files: navigate to the folder containing deleted files from Recycle Bin and select it. Then, click Add Files.
- Browse for folders: select the entire folder with deleted files.
Step 4. Select the original location or browse to a new location. Then, click Start Restore to restore deleted SWF files.
How to Open SWF Files in a Windows PC
Since the SWF file is essentially a video format, you can use multimedia players like VLC Media Player, Adobe After Effects, SWF File Players, KM Plater, etc. to open it. Among them, the previous two options are also available on the Mac system.
To open a SWF file, you need to use the "Open with" option, as it does not specify a program to automatically launch your file. Just right-click the files you want to open and select Open with. It will then show you some available software. Select the media player supporting the playback of files with the .swf extension.
Preventive Measures to SWF File Loss
While you are able to recover deleted SWF files with the above methods, it’s always better to prevent SWF file loss in the first place. After all, no all files can be recovered every time.
1. Regular Backups
Backup your SWF files immediately after SWF file recovery and make it a habit to create regular backups of all your important files. Considering the performance of backup software, it’s better to employ third-party Windows backup software like AOMEI Backupper Standard.
2. Multiple Backup Copies.
Always create two or more backup of your SWF files to ensure there is a backup available even if one of them is damaged. It means saving your backup images into different storage devices, such as external disk, flash drive, cloud storage, etc.
3. Reliable Storage Devices
Invest in high-quality and reliable storage devices to minimize the chances of hardware-related SWF file loss. It’s suggested to purchase storage devices of well-known brands.
4. Up-to-date Software
Keep your SWF player software and other relevant applications up to date to prevent software-related issues.
5. Employ a Windows Antivirus Software
Antivirus software will scan your storage device or computer and remove viruses or malware. This will greatly reduce the risk of SWF file loss due to virus or malware infection.
Anyway, with professional data recovery software like MyRecover, SWF file recovery is feasible even if you don't have available backups. If your situation is more severe, try to seek help from professionals in data recovery services.
Whether you use data recovery software or a service, you will be spending a significant amount of money. If you don't want to be on this kind of software that you may only use once in a long time, it’s a wise choice to backup your SWF files regularly.
Q1: Can I recover SWF files from a formatted storage device?
Q2: Can I recover SWF files from a physically damaged USB drive?
Q3: How long does the SWF recovery process take?
Q4: Can I recover deleted SWF files from the recycle bin?
Q5: How to recover deleted SWF files on Mac
1. Press the command button and tap the space key to open Spotlight. Then, type time machine and press Return.
2. Navigate to the folder containing your deleted SWF files and locate your backup images.
3. Select the SWF files you want to recover and click the Restore button.