How to Retrieve Data from Laptop with Black Screen Quickly
How to recover laptop from back screen? How to retrieve data from laptop with black screen? Read this guide to find the info you want to know.
How can I recover files from black screen on my laptop?
My laptop goes to black screen with no cursor, no keyboard response, nothing. Is this a crash/freeze/pile of junk now? Does anyone know how to retrieve data from laptop with black screen? I really need the files stored on my laptop.
- Question from Microsoft Community
Black screen is a common problem that can happen on any laptop. There is nothing on the screen, which makes it impossible for you to control the device. There is one quick fix to recover laptop from black screen: press the power button for 10 seconds to turn off laptop > unplug the adapter > plug in adapter and restart the device after 30 seconds. Still have a black screen? Don’t worry too much, this guide will tell you how to recover laptop from black screen and how to retrieve data from laptop with black screen.
How to recover laptop from back screen
There may be a risk of data loss in the process of solving this problem. If you care about your data, you can choose to take out the drive and connect it to another computer to get data off. You can go to the next part to get the detailed steps.
Next, I’ll show you how to recover laptop from black screen in Windows 11, 10, 8,7
Fix 1. Check the display
When your laptop goes to black screen, you can connect an external monitor and see if it will display images. Each laptop is equipped with ports such as an HDMI port, allowing you to use the computer on a separate and larger screen.
- If it shows images or you can hear sounds of operation, you may need to take your computer in for repair.
- If it is still a black screen, it means that this problem is caused by other software or hardware problems.
Fix 2. Recover BOIS
You can try this method to recover laptop from black screen if the hard drive still working. It will help you recover the last working version of the BIOS.
- Turn off your laptop and connect it to the charger.
- Press and hold the Windows key and B key > At the same time, press the power button just for a second.
- You will hear a beep sound and the BIOS will start to update after 30-40s. After that, you will be able to use your laptop as usual.
Fix 3. Reset the memory modules
When the memory module is loose, the laptop will not display any image. Therefore, you can try to reinstall the memory module to recover laptop from black screen.
- Turn off your laptop > disconnect the charger > remove the battery from the compartment.
- Remove the back case and locate the RAM slots.
- Remove all memory modules > connect them again after minutes.
- Reinstall all memory modules.
- Connect the battery and see if you can see the screen.
Fix 4. Boot laptop from a bootable disk
When laptop won’t turn on, you can try to boot it via a bootable disk to recover laptop from black screen. If you don't have a bootable disk, you can make one by yourself. To create the bootable disk, an empty USB and a well-functioning computer are needed.
Step 1. Create bootable USB
- First of all, Download AOMEI Backupper (one free software that can help you create the bootable USB) on the well-functioning computer.
- Plug in the USB drive and launch AOMEI Backupper.
- Choose Tools > Create Bootable Media to create the bootable disk.
Step 2. Boot the laptop via the bootable USB
- Insert the bootable USB stick into your laptop.
- Restart your laptop and press F2 or Del at the same time to enter BIOS.
- Set to boot from the USB drive.
- Press F10 to confirm and your laptop will boot from the USB.
Fix 5. Hard reset the laptop
If all the above methods cannot help you recover laptop from black screen, then you can try to hard reset the laptop. The hard reset will erase data in laptop’s memory and you will lose some apps and files. But it's worth a try, as it has helped many users with blank or black displays.
- Turn off the laptop and unplug the AC adapter.
- Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices.
- Remove the battery from the compartment > Press the power button for no less than 15 seconds to drain all the residual power.
- Reconnect the battery to the compartment and do not connect any external connected peripheral devices
- Press the power button to turn on the laptop.
If you find data loss after the reset, you can keep reading to see how to recover the lost data via the data recovery tool.
How to retrieve data from laptop with black screen
If you want to retrieve data from laptop with black screen, you can choose to take out the hard drive and transfer data to another computer.
How to get data off laptop with black screen
Step 1. Take out the hard drive from the laptop
Use a screwdriver to unlock your laptop case and take out the hard drive.
Step 2. Connect the hard drive to another desktop or laptop
Connect the hard drive via the adapter: plug the adapter into the USB port > plug in the power via the molex adapter unit > turn on the switch on the power cable.
Step 3. Get data off the hard drive
When the drive is properly connected to the computer, it will appear as a removable drive in File Explorer. Then you can open the drive to copy important data to computer, external hard drive or USB drive. If you cannot find the data you need, you can let data recovery software scan the drive and find the lost data.
How to retrieve deleted data from laptop with black screen
If you cannot find the files you need, then you can rely on MyRecover to scan the hard drive and find the lost files. This recovery tool is designed by AOMEI, the leading benchmark of the data security industry. This tool is a good choice for anyone who does not know much about Windows because it’s easy to use.
Outstanding features of MyRecover
● Help you recover data from laptop effectively, safely, and completely.
● Recover any data and file types at high speed and without any quality loss.
● Recover lost data due to system crashes, accidental deletion, virus attacks, etc.
● Supports almost any image format: JPG/JPEG/JPE, PNG, TIF/TIFF, HEIC/HEIF, GIF, ARW, etc.
Steps to retrieve data from laptop with black screen:
- Download, install and launch MyRecover.
- Choose the partition where you have lost the files > Click Start Scan.
- The files found by the tool will be listed on the right side. You can type some keywords of the files you need in the search box to quickly find them.
- It’s possible to recover files during the scanning process. When you find the files you need, you can select them and click the Recover button to move them to a safe place.
That’s all about how to recover laptop from black screen and how to retrieve data from laptop with black screen. If you care about the data stored on the hard drive, you can first take out the drive and transfer the data to another space and then troubleshoot the black screen issue. If important files are lost because black screen crash, you can let ADR for Windows help you scan the drive and find missing files.
We never know when the laptop will crash. You can backup your laptop to USB flash drive. In this way, your important data will not be at risk when something goes wrong with your laptop.