How to Recover Data after Deleting Partition on Windows
Want to perform data recovery after deleting the partition? This article is a must-read! Try methods in the tutorial to get data and partition back without any technical skill.
- “How can I restore the files on my deleted partition?”
- Tips on successful partition recovery
- How to recover data and partition after delete?
- How to recover files from a partition
- Bonus tip: assign a drive letter to the lost partition via Command Prompt
- How to prevent partition loss in the future?
“How can I restore the files on my deleted partition?”
Partitions are logical divisions of a hard disk, and they help users store data in different areas if required. It is difficult to perform a data recovery after deleting partition due to a user's error.
Furthermore, all data contained in the deleted partition is lost as well. Such complex issues can be easily resolved with third-party partition recovery software. In addition, there are some tips to assist you in performing successful data and partition recovery.
Tips on successful partition recovery
When a user makes the mistake of deleting a partition, the most concerning issue is restoring the data stored in the partition. Keep in mind the tips listed below for a successful partition and data recovery.
☀ Don't try anything new until you've regained all you want. Experimenting with a hard drive can make it more difficult to restore data and partitions.
☀ Do not rebuild the partition table or reformat the partition.
☀ Do not recreate a new partition on the unallocated space.
☀ Make sure to try the trustworthy methods for recovering the deleted partition. Things might get worse if things aren't done appropriately.
How to recover data and partition after delete?
It’s not easy to restore deleted or lost data and partition if you couldn’t find the right solution, especially if you don't have much experience with computer troubleshooting.
AOMEI Partition Recovery Wizard, a built-in tool in AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional, is designed for those who are unable to recover partitions on their own due to a lack of experience or time. AOMEI Partition Recovery Wizard could assist you to recover deleted or lost partitions on a hard disk within four steps.
To recover the deleted data and partition for Windows 10/8/7, you could download AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional demo first and follow the detailed steps to enable data and partition recovery.
Step 1: Select Partition Recovery Wizard on the left panel in its main interface and select the disk including the lost or deleted partition. Click “Next”.
Step 2: Select Fast Search. There are two search modes. It is recommended to select Fast Search the first time because it saves more time than Full Search. Then, click “Next”. The software will scan the disk automatically.
Step 3: After scanning, the program will display the list of all lost or deleted partitions on the hard disk. You could select the deleted partition you want to recover.
Step 4: The partition recovery process completes in a few seconds, and a message shows “congratulations”. Click “Finish” to exit this window.
You could open This PC/My Computer to check whether the lost or deleted partition is visible again. Your data stored in the partition will be restored as well if the data hasn’t been covered or overwritten.
How to recover files from a partition
If you only want to recover the deleted or lost data from partitions, you could use MyRecover, a professional data recovery tool to help you restore files from partitions in Windows 7/8/10/11 and Windows Server.
- Available to recover files from partitions on Windows operating systems like Windows 11/10/8/7 and Windows Server.
- Provide 2 advanced scanning methods Quick Scan and Deep Scan.
- More than 200 types of files can be recovered: Word documents, Excel, PPT, JPG, GIF, 3FR, MP3, MP4, MOV, VWM, ANI, ZIP, etc.
- You can filter, search, and preview deleted files during the recovery process.
- Provide a clear graphical user interface and simple operating steps.
Follow the easy guide, you can try to recover deleted files from a partition with a few clicks.
1. Run MyRecover and choose your target partition on the home page. Press Start Scan to scan it.
2. MyRecover will operate Quick Scan and Deep Scan for your partition. You can use the search or filter feature to locate your deleted files quickly.
3. After confirming the recovery result and selecting your files from the partition, click Recover x files.
Bonus tip: assign a drive letter to the lost partition via Command Prompt
If you notice an asterisk next to the lost partition in Disk Management, you could try reassigning a drive letter in CMD to make the partition accessible in Windows File Explorer again. It requires users are familiar with the DiskPart Command-Line with this method. It's a free way to recover the lost partition.
Step 1: Find the lost partition in Disk Management. Press “Win + R” and type “diskmgmt.msc” in the Run window to open Disk Management. Remember the size of the lost partition.
Step 2: Press “Win + R” and type “CMD” to Run CMD as administrator or type “Command Prompt” in the Search bar.
Step 3: Type "diskpart" in the CMD window and press Enter.
Step 4: Type the following Command in turn and press Enter after each input.
list disk. The command shows all disks on the computer.
select disk # (Replace # with the number of the hard disk that includes the lost partition).
list volume. All partitions in the hard disk will be displayed.
select volume # (replace # with the number of the lost partition).
assign letter=# (Replace # with an available drive letter, from C to Z).
How to prevent partition loss in the future?
Partition deletion or loss is complicated and varies for different reasons. Partition deletion happens when you delete one of the partitions accidentally or without your consciousness, for example, a virus or malware attack.
Many people have no idea what happened to their hard drives and why their partitions were lost. If you haven't backed up the important files, the data may be lost forever.
Therefore, prevention is more important than problem-solving. It may be helpful to pay attention to the following tips in daily use.
- Back up vital data. The most important is to back up data to another external hard drive. Alternatively, AOMEI Backupper could help you to back up files for various needs.
- Double-check before delete. Before deleting files or partition, or even format partition or hard disk, it’s better to double-check the data stored in the partitions or hard disk.
- Use anti-virus software. Regularly detect the hard disk with reliable anti-virus tools to protect the important data from being lost or deleted for no reason.
To perform data recovery after deleting partition, all you need to do is download and run AOMEI Partition Recovery Wizard, which will scan and analyze your deleted partition table for lost/deleted partitions and restore data from the deleted partition, even for external hard drive partition recovery.
Apart from recovering deleted partitions and data, AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional could help you to manage the disk easily like resizing partition, moving partition, merging partition, extending partition, disk clone, App mover, etc. It’s an excellent tool you must not miss!
What happens when a partition is deleted?
How do I recover files after formatting a partition?
Should I delete recovery partition when reinstalling Windows?