Solved: Chrome Automatically Delete Downloaded Files
This post provides 5 useful solutions to recover files if you meet the Chrome automatically delete downloaded files issue. Read on and you will get detailed introductions and steps.
Why are my downloaded files automatically deleted?
Whenever I download an ‘unsafe’ file, I simply press 'Keep Dangerous File'. It works, but 3 seconds later, it gets deleted. I do not know if this is on the Windows end or Google Chrome's end. I need help. Thanks, Google Community!
- Question from Google Community
Did this happen to you too? Did Chrome automatically delete downloaded files on your computer? Why is Chrome deleting my downloads. However, this issue is most probably caused by the Windows end. Then, how to fix such a downloaded files disappear in Windows issue? Please read on to get 5 effective methods.
How to recover Chrome automatically deleted downloaded files
If you are sure that Chromebook automatically delete downloaded files and want to know how to recover deleted downloaded files, the contents below are helpful for you. You can choose an easy and efficient way to find your deleted downloaded files according to your situation.
Way 1. Recover deleted downloaded files from Recycle Bin
If you are lucky, your deleted downloaded files will be saved in Recycle Bin instead of permanently deleted. So the first method is to check if your downloaded files are in Recycle Bin and recover deleted files from Recycle Bin by following the steps below:
1. Go to open Recycle Bin on the desktop of your computer.
2. See if your downloaded file is here. To find it faster, you can right-click on the blank location and choose View > Details.
3. If your downloaded file exists here, right-click on it to select Restore. Then it will be recovered to its original location. If you cannot find your downloaded file here, please refer to other methods later.
Way 2. Recover deleted downloaded files by re-downloading
Once you download a file from Chrome, there will be a download path saved in it. So you can go to get it and try re-downloading it, which can be a useful way to recover deleted downloaded files from Chrome.
1. Open Google Chrome on your computer, and input chrome://downloads in its search box. Press the Enter key then.
2. Find the downloaded file that has been deleted. Click on the gray link, then it will get downloaded again.
Way 3. Recover deleted downloaded files from temporary folder
There is a temporary folder on your computer that will save some temporary files for you. When your files get lost or deleted, you can go to recover files from Temp folder. Follow the easy guideline to try:
1. In File Explorer, type the name of your downloaded file and end with the extension name .tmp. Press Enter to continue.
2. Check if there is your downloaded file. Or you can go to C:\Windows\Temp to find it.
Way 4. Recover deleted downloaded files from Quarantine Section
Sometimes, your downloaded files are deleted because they contain viruses or malware. Windows will block them and your downloaded files will be saved in Quarantine section. If you are afraid that the recovered files bring virus and cause losses, then you can only select the files you are sure are safe for recovery. Alternatively, use the next method to safely recover your files. You can go to recover them by following the steps below:
1. Go to Windows Settings and open Protection history.
2. Click Filters > Quarantined Items. Choose your downloaded file and select a storage location for it.
Way 5. Recover deleted downloaded files with a file recovery tool
If your downloaded files are permanently deleted or you cannot find them in all the ways above, here comes an efficient and easy file recovery software - MyRecover. It can find and recover your deleted files or other lost files quickly and successfully.
No matter why your downloaded files are deleted, MyRecover can help you recover downloaded files or recover deleted downloads folder effectively.
- In addition, MyRecover has many shining advantages:
- Recover more than 200 types of files including documents, pictures, videos, audios, emails, compressed files, and more.
- Support recovery from different storage devices including HDD, SSD, USB, SD cards, etc.
- Available in all Windows operating systems containing Windows 11, 10, 8, 7 and Windows Server 2022, 2019, 2016, 2012, etc.
- Comprehensive scanning methods like Deep Scan and Quick Scan.
- User-friendly graphical interface and operation steps.
Now, you can get such a free and useful file recovery tool. Then follow the easy 3-step guideline to find and recover your downloaded files successfully:
1. In MyRecover, click on the partition or disk where your downloaded files were saved before. Then click Start Scan to let it be scanned.
2. All your deleted files and other missing files will show up after Quick Scan and Deep Scan automatically.
3. Confirm the scanning result. You can also pick a new location to store your downloaded files. At last, click on the Recover X files button to begin to recover your downloaded files at once.
How to stop Chrome from deleting downloaded files
Sometimes, your files are regarded as dangerous and malicious downloads by Chrome security feature. To stop Chrome from deleting downloaded files, you can go to Settings to disable the built-in security feature.
1. Go to Settings > Privacy and security in Chrome. And click on Security on this page.
2. Under Safe Browsing, choose No protection (not recommended) and press Turn off in the pop-up window. Then Chrome will not delete your downloaded files automatically.
To sum up
If you meet the chrome automatically delete downloaded files issue, you have known 5 solutions to recover the downloaded files now. Among them, you can choose the best data recovery software called MyRecover directly. Your downloaded files will be back without any effort.