How to Do ASUS ROG Ally SSD Upgrade – No Reinstallation
Want to upgrade ROG Ally SSD due to insufficient storage space or some other reason? This article will walk you through the whole process.
Welcome to our comprehensive guide on upgrading the SSD of your ASUS ROG Ally handheld gaming computer without the need for reinstallation. In this article, we'll explore the reasons behind upgrading your ROG Ally SSD, recommend the best SSDs compatible with ROG Ally, and provide a detailed step-by-step guide using AOMEI Backupper for a seamless ASUS ROG Ally SSD upgrade.
Why Upgrade ROG Ally SSD?
Released on June 13, 2023, Asus ROG Ally enjoys great popularity among gamers. It comes with a 512GB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD (2230). Superb as it is, you may find the need to upgrade ROG Ally internal SSD in the following situations.
- Enhanced Gaming Performance: The ROG Ally is a powerful handheld gaming computer, and upgrading the SSD can significantly improve gaming performance. Faster load times, reduced lag, and improved data access contribute to a smoother gaming experience.
- Increased Storage Capacity: Modern games and applications demand substantial storage space. Upgrading the SSD ensures you have ample room for your gaming library, multimedia files, and other applications, enhancing your overall gaming experience.
What’s the Best SSD for ROG Ally?
Considering the compatibility with compact 2230 M.2 NVMe drives, here are four recommended SSDs:
1. Corsair MP600 Mini
The Corsair MP600 is a great SSD that you can put in the Asus ROG Ally, and it packs 1TB of storage that you can fill up with as many games as you'd like.
2. SABRENT Rocket 2230 NVMe 4.0 1TB SSD
If you want to expand storage and don't want to deal with slow read/write speeds, check out the Sabrent Rocket 2230 NVMe SSD. It offers up to 4,750MB/s read and 4,300 MB/s write speeds and unmatched reliability that you won't get with a microSD card.
3. Teamgroup MP44S 1TB
Teamgroup's MP44S is a budget 2230-sized SSD that's ideal for handheld PCs like the ROG Ally and Steam Deck, as well as other small computers and laptops. It comes in 1TB or 2TB.
4. WD - BLACK SN770M 2TB Internal SSD
The Western Digital Black SN770M 2TB Internal SSD comes in the 2230 form factor, making it ideal for the ROG Ally. It provides maximum read speeds of 5,150MB/s and write speeds of 4,850MB/s, making it super efficient and fast. While it is on the pricier side, you're expanding your storage with fast speeds.
Stepwise Guide to ASUS ROG Ally SSD Upgrade
To upgrade ROG Ally internal SSD while keeping your personal OS, settings, programs, and files, please follow the instructions below.
Step 1: Connect the New SSD Externally
Connect the new SSD externally using a compatible enclosure. This step allows for data transfer and cloning without disassembling your handheld gaming computer.
Step 2: ROG Ally SSD Upgrade Clone
When it comes to upgrading your ASUS ROG Ally SSD seamlessly, AOMEI Backupper Professional emerges as a reliable and feature-rich disk cloning software. AOMEI Backupper is a powerful tool designed to simplify the process of migrating data from one disk to another, ensuring a hassle-free and efficient SSD upgrade experience.
- User-Friendly Interface: AOMEI Backupper boasts an intuitive and user-friendly interface, making it accessible for users with varying levels of technical expertise. The straightforward design ensures a smooth experience from start to finish.
- Clone Disk or Partition: Whether you want to clone the entire disk or specific partitions, AOMEI Backupper provides the flexibility to choose the cloning scope. This feature is particularly handy when upgrading your ROG Ally SSD, allowing you to transfer only the necessary data.
- Intelligent SSD Alignment: To maximize the performance of your upgraded SSD, AOMEI Backupper includes intelligent SSD alignment. This feature optimizes the partition alignment on the new SSD, enhancing overall system responsiveness.
Follow these detailed steps to clone your ROG Ally SSD to the new SSD using AOMEI Backupper:
1. Download and Install AOMEI Backupper
Visit the official AOMEI website and download the software. Install AOMEI Backupper on your ROG Ally.
2. Launch AOMEI Backupper
Open AOMEI Backupper and select the "Clone" > “Disk Clone” option from the main interface.
3. Choose Source and Destination
Select the source drive (old SSD) and the destination drive (new SSD).
4. Initiate Cloning Process
Start the cloning process by clicking “Start Clone” and wait for AOMEI Backupper to transfer all data from the old SSD to the new one.
Step 3: Open Your Ally and Swap SSD
After successful cloning, it's time to open your ROG Ally and swap the old SSD with the newly upgraded one. Follow these detailed steps:
1. Power Off and Disconnect
Power off your ROG Ally and disconnect it from any power source.
2. Remove Back Cover
Carefully remove the back cover of your ROG Ally to access the internal components.
3. Locate and Replace SSD
Identify the current SSD and replace it with the new one that you cloned.
4. Secure Connections
Ensure all connections are secure, including power and data cables.
5. Reassemble and Power On
Reassemble the ROG Ally, secure the back cover, and power on your handheld gaming computer.
In conclusion, the ASUS ROG Ally SSD upgrade is a transformative process that enhances gaming performance and increases storage capacity. With our recommended SSDs and the stepwise guide using AOMEI Backupper, you can seamlessly upgrade your ROG Ally SSD without the need for reinstallation. Elevate your gaming experience today with the ROG Ally SSD upgrade.