Seagate Blackarmor Backup and Its Free Alternative
Protect your crucial data with Seagate BlackArmor Backup- the ultimate solution for reliable and effortless backup. You can also find another reliable alternative. Learn more in our latest blog post!
What is Seagate BlackArmor Backup?
Seagate BlackArmor® Backup is an integrated software suite that provides a comprehensive solution to protect your computer system in the event of disaster, such as virus or malware attack, hard drive crash, or accidental deletion.
- The software backs up all your data, including the operating system, applications, settings, and messages from your Microsoft email clients, and securely destroys any confidential data you no longer need.
- The software allows you to store backups on Seagate BlackArmor Network Attached Storage (NAS), Direct Attached Storage (DAS) devices or Maxtor DAS.
- You can perform scheduled backup tasks, and the software will automatically select the backup method according to the backup policy set by the user.
- The software provides a wizard-based interface that makes backup tasks easier for users and lets them restore their systems quickly and easily should any issues arise.
How to Use Seagate BlackArmor Backup
Before we start showing you how to use Seagate BlackArmor Backup, you may want to pay attention. You need to meet its system requirements to use it for backup or other operations.
✦ System Requirements of using Seagate BlackArmor Backup
We recommend you to connect Seagate BlackArmor drives via USB cables. Seagate BlackArmor Backup requires the following hardware:
- Pentium processor or higher
- 128 MB RAM
- CD-RW/DVD-RW drive for bootable media creation
- Mouse or other pointing device (recommended)
- Seagate BlackArmor external drives
In addition to meeting the system requirements, you also need to see if your device is supported.
- Seagate BlackArmor external drives
- Seagate BlackArmor NAS
- Other Seagate BlackArmor DAS drives
- Maxtor DAS drives
Step-By-Step Guide: How Does Seagate Backup Work
- Start Seagate BlackArmor Backup. Choose Backup and Restore in the lower area of the sidebar and the Create backup task item will be selected by default.
- Select what type of data you want to back up and select the backup source. Seagate BlackArmor Backup offers you the following backup types:
- My Computer (image backup of any set of disks/partitions)
- My Data (file-level backup of any set of files, folders, or an entire file category)
- System State (file-level backup of system files, drivers, etc.)
- My E-mail (file-level backup of Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Outlook Express, and Windows Mail settings and messages).
- My Application Settings (file-level backup of Windows applications settings)
- Then select the destination location for the backup and specify the archive name.
- After selecting the archive location and naming the backup archive to be created, you can just click Summary and then Proceed on the Summary page.
Best Alternative to Seagate BlackArmor Backup
By reading Seagate BlackArmor Backup user guide, we know that there are many limitations in using it:
- It only supports storing image on Seagate BlackArmor Network Attached Storage (NAS), Direct Attached Storage (DAS) devices and Maxtor DAS.
- It only supports Windows XP or Windows Vista.
As you can see, Seagate BlackArmor Backup is subject to various usage restrictions. If you want to perform data backup more flexibly, another powerful Seagate NAS backup free software - AOMEI Backup Standard will come in handy.
To use AOMEI Backupper for Seagate BlackArmor backup, there are some preparations need to be done:
- Make sure the Seagate NAS device works. Take note of its IP address.
- If you want to backup NAS to a removable devices, connect it to your computer properly.
Now I'll back up Seagate NAS to an external hard drive as example.
Step 1. Launch the software, go to Backup tab and choose File Backup.
Step 2. Click Add File or Add Folder to specify what you want to backup. When the Open window pops out, select Share/NAS.
>>> Click Add Network Location to enter the path of your Seagate NAS and hit OK. Then select the files you want to backup.
You can select multiple files/folders by repeating the steps above.
Step 3. Now select the connected external hard drive as the destination to save the Seagate NAS backup image.
Step 4. Manage settings in Options, Schedule, Scheme as you like, then click Start Backup and wait for it to complete.
If you want to backup files from your PC or other locations to Seagate NAS, just select the source directory and target directory accordingly.
This article provides you with details on how to use Seagate BlackArmor backup software. But there are many limitations in using this software. That's why I recommend you to use AOMEI Backupper to backup data to/from Seagate and other NAS. Unlike those integrated backup tools for Seagate NAS or hard drives, AOMEI Backupper doesn't have so many limitations on the supported systems or hardware.
What's more, you can also use its disk cloning feature to migrate HDD to SSD, or clone larger drive to smaller drive. It doesn't matter even if you are a Windows Server user, because it also has a Server version.