Backup Outlook Emails to Gmail 2 Ways + 1 Email Protection Tool
This article tells you how to backup Outlook emails to Gmail. Creating data backups always provides data security in the event you experience catastrophic data loss.
Can I Backup All My Outlook Emails to Gmail?
Nowadays, data backup has become an essential part of people's lives. Creating data backups can always provide you with data security in case you experience a catastrophic data loss, for example. Thus, whenever you are unable to access your data due to data deletion, you can effortlessly restore your data from the backup copy.
People who use the Outlook application want to protect their data by backing up all their inbox, contacts and calendar entries to other platforms. As you know, Gmail is a free webmail account that can be accessed from anywhere in the world. It is now one of the most popular email services in the world.
Therefore, many users are asking can I backup Outlook email Gmail? The answer is Yes. It is not complicated to export emails to Gmail. With the help of the solutions mentioned in this article, you can easily backup Outlook data to free Gmail account. Let's see how to do it.
2 Ways to Backup Outlook Emails to Gmail
In this section, we will consider different solutions for multiple scenarios to achieve the same goal. You can choose the appropriate solution to import Outlook emails to your Gmail account according to your exact needs. So, let's get started!
Way 1. Export PST to Gmail (using IMAP)
This method consists of three parts, which you need to follow in order. First, you need to export your emails from your Outlook account so that you can import them into your Gmail account.
📤 Part 1. Exporting Emails from Outlook
- Open the Outlook Desktop client.
- Log in using your Outlook account. Click on File > Open & Export > Import/Export.
- Then the Import and Export Wizard will open. On the wizard Select Export to a file and then click Next
- Then select Outlook Data File (. pst) and select the folder you want to export.
💻 Part 2. Enabling IMAP Your Gmail Account
To import Outlook backup to Gmail account, you first need to be able to log in to the Outlook desktop client. After enabling IMAP, you should be able to use your Gmail account in the Outlook desktop client.
- Go to https://mail.google.com/. Log into to google using your Gmail account.
- Click on Settings > See all settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
- On the Forwarding and POP/IMAP Enable IMAP and click on Save Changes.
📥 Part 3. Importing Emails to Your Gmail Account
- Open the Outlook desktop client.
- Click on File > Add Account.
- Enter your Gmail and click on Connect. Enter your information and then click Next.
- After logging your Gmail account into the Outlook app you might need to restart the Outlook desktop client
- After you have restarted the desktop client, click on File > Open & Export > Import/Export
- On the Import and Export Wizard select Import from another program or file.
- On Select file type to import from, choose Outlook Data File(. pst).
- Then select the file you exported from your Outlook account and in options choose Replace duplicates with items imported.
- On Select folder to import from, select Outlook Data File and choose Import items into the same folder in as your Gmail.
Way 2. Backup Outlook Mail to Gmail via GWMMO Utility
The second method is to use Google Workspace Migration for Microsoft Outlook (the Outlook to Gmail migration tool). It is a program provided by Google to transfer emails, contacts and calendars from Outlook data files (.pst) to free Gmail and G Suite accounts. However, it has some limitations that you should know in advance when you use this method to backup Outlook emails to Gmail:
Let's see how to export pst file to Gmail via Google Workspace Migration for Microsoft Outlook.
- First of all, download and install Google Workspace Migration for Microsoft Outlook. After installation, a login dialog box will open on the screen where you can sign in to your Gmail Account.
- Then you need to verify your account. After passing the verification, a new window will appear on the screen. Here you can choose to migrate a Microsoft Outlook user profile or a PST file. You can also choose to migrate all the data or just the new data. Then click on Next step.
- Finally, the migration process will begin. You can easily view the live activity log report of the export process.
- After completing the process, you can see the Outlook .pst file data backed up to your Gmail account as shown in the image below.
A Foolproof Way to Back Up Your Emails - Automatic and Secure
Email backups are known to help prevent data loss by enabling users to recover email content that may have been deleted or lost. Backups can keep your emails available for longer and make tracking down lost emails faster. Here I recommend you professional email backup software - AOMEI Backupper. Its "Outlook Backup" feature can help backup Outlook desktop. Outlook desktop supports emails including Microsoft 365, Gmail, Yahoo, iCloud, Exchange, which means AOMEI Backupper also supports backup of these emails. Let's see how to use it for a simple email backup.
- Click the download above to install AOMEI Backupper on your computer.
- Add the account you want to backup in Outlook and close it. Then, open AOMEI Backupper Professional and click Backup and Outlook Backup.
- Click Add Outlook data and select the email account you want to backup. You can select multiple mailboxes at once. Then click OK.
- Select a local drive or external hard drive to save all emails in Outlook.
- Enable Daily, Weekly, or Monthly schedule backup and be sure the option Wake the computer to run scheduled task is checked.
- Confirm you select the entire mailbox and click Start Backup to backup all emails and other items.
After reading this article, you can clearly know how to backup Outlook emails to Gmail, which provides security for your emails. Besides, you can also backup Outlook data to other locations - follow the 3-2-1-backup strategy. With adequate backups, you don't have to worry about data loss due to virus infection, storage failure or human error.
With the help of AOMEI, you can backup your emails to different locations, including external hard drive, USB flash drive, and NAS device, etc. Besides email backup, it has many other useful features. For example, clone, restore, synchronize, etc. You can create system backups with its help to provide regular protection for your computer.