Quickly Solve Your computer Is Low on Memory (7 Ways)
Why does your computer low on memory? How to fix the error? This article will provide you with 7 useful solutions. Please read on.
- Reasons for Your Computer Low on Memory
- Recommendation: Make Backups of Your Important Data in Advance
- 7 Ways to Solve Your Computer Is Low On Memory
Reasons for Your Computer Low on Memory
Sometimes when you are using your Windows 10/8/7 computer to work, play games and watch videos, you may encounter an out-of-memory error: Your computer is low on memory. As shown in the image below.
There are two types of memory in your computer, one is RAM and the other is virtual memory. When the computer has used up all of its RAM and is running low on virtual memory, the "Your computer is low on memory" error will appear. These are the most common situations for insufficient computer memory.
- Sometimes your computer doesn’t have enough memory to support certain programs to run. Therefore, the program may get stuck or stop working. To prevent information loss, the system will notify us via this error message.
- Your computer has been infected by some malicious programs that take up a lot of memory, so the system will prompt you that your computer is out of memory.
- This problem occurs when you run too many programs, or programs don’t release unused memory , and it is called memory overuse or memory leaks.
Note: RAM and virtual memory are completely different from disk space. RAM is the physical hardware inside the computer, while virtual memory is a technique of memory management of the computer system that allows applications to have continuously available memory.
Recommendation: Make Backups of Your Important Data in Advance
When your computer is low on memory, the most obvious phenomenon is that your system is running slowly and unstably. In severe cases, slow boot-up, black screen or blue screen may occur, which may eventually lead to the loss of your important data. So, to prevent this kind of problem from occurring, you can use AOMEI Backupper Standard to make a backup of all files and data on your disk.
This software is a simple and free PC backup tool which supports various backup methods such as system backup, disk backup, file backup and partition backup. At the same time, you can set different time periods to automatically perform your scheduled backups and improve your data security.
And it is not only suitable for running on Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista, but also supports the different backup path such as local disk, USB drive, SSD, NAS, network share, etc.
Before you make the backup, please download AOMEI Backupper Standard and install it first.
Steps by Step Guide to Make File Backup
Step 1. Open AOMEI Backupper Standard and select Backup > File Backup.
Step 2. Click Add File or Add Folder, then select the files or folders to be backed up.
Step 3. Fill in the backup path and click Start Backup.
Notes: You can set three options in the left corner for more backup functions.
- Options: You can choose the backup mode between Intelligent Sector Backup and Exact Backup. You can also turn to Advanced settings to set other backup settings as compressed backup or split backup.
- Schedule: You can set your scheduled backups according with different intervals such as daily, weekly and monthly. Besides, you can choose to make the full backup or differential backup. By default, the software will select daily and incremental backups for you to backup your PC data.
- Scheme: In higher versions, you can also enjoy different backup schemes to manage the disk space by clicking this option.
- Cloud backup is also a popular choice for many users in order to save disk space and keep data safe. You can backup your files to AOMEI Cloud. When you sign up for an AOMEI account, it will give you 1TB of free storage space for 15 days.
7 Ways to Solve Your Computer Is Low On Memory
The lack of computer memory will directly affect our experience, and perhaps you will feel frustrated by it. So how to get rid of your computer is low on memory? Here are some solutions for you.
- Close memory overload programs.
- Disable startup programs.
- Run system maintenance programs.
- Increase virtual memory.
- Upgrade Windows to the latest version.
- Remove malware with an anti-virus program.
- Upgrade memory.
Method 1. Close Memory Overload Programs
Some programs take up a lot of memory in your computer when they run, causing your computer low on memory, so you just need to end the processes.
Step 1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to pop up the Task Manager.
Step 2. Select the program that takes up the most memory under the Processes option, then click End task.
Method 2. Disable Startup Programs
Sometimes, several programs will run automatically when your computer starts up. It is also one of the reasons why your computer is running low on memory. So you can disable these startup programs.
Step 1. Open the Task Manager as we mentioned before.
Step 2. Under the Startup option, right-click the programs you want to disable and click Disable option.
Method 3. Run System Maintenance Programs
The system maintenance program can automatically troubleshoot a part of problems on your computer and solve them for insufficient memory of your computer. Below are the steps:
Step 1. Press Win + R to open the Run window, and type control to open the Control Panel.
Step 2. Then type Troubleshooting in the search box and click Troubleshooting.
Step 3. Click View all on the left.
Step 4. Find System Maintenance and click it.
Step 5. Click Next in the pop-up window.
Step 6. Select Try troubleshooting as an administrator.
Step 7. Finally, the system will automatically exclude the problem of insufficient memory. When it has been completed, click Close the troubleshooter.
Method 4. Increase Virtual Memory
Increasing virtual memory manually is also one of the ways to solve your computer is low on memory.
Step 1. Press Win+R to open the Run window, type sysdm.cpl to open System Properties, and click Settings under the Advanced tab.
Step 2. In the pop-up window, select Advanced > Change.
Step 3. Uncheck Automatically manage paging file size for all drives, check Custom Size. Then fill in the appropriate values for Initial size and Maximum size. Finally, click Set and OK.
- The Initial size and Maximum size you set should be larger than the recommended size.
- If you increase the value, you don’t need to restart the PC. However, if you decrease the value, you need to restart the PC.
Method 5. Upgrade Windows to the Latest Version
Sometimes old system versions can also cause your computer is low on memory, you can try updating your system to the latest version.
Step 1. Press Win+I to open Settings and click Update & Security.
Step 2. Select Windows Update on the left, then click Download to update Windows 10 to the latest version.
Method 6. Remove Malware with an Anti-virus Program
Viruses or malware may also be the cause of your computer is low on memory. If your computer is constantly popping up with a low memory message, you may need to use anti-virus software to remove malware programs or viruses from your system.
Method 7. Upgrade Memory
If none of the above methods can solve your computer is low on memory, it is recommended that you can upgrade or replace the memory with a larger memory stick. Since it can make your computer have a better running speed.
Tip: If you are not a computer professional, you’d better not do this by yourself. You can seek help from a computer professional.
When your computer is low on memory, the 7 methods mentioned in this article will help you to solve this problem. Before you solve the problem, it is safest to use AOMEI Backupper Standard to backup important files in advance. Therefore, you don’t need to worry about losing data while you solve the problem.
In addition to backup the significant data, this software also has many useful features, such as create bootable disk, clone HDD to SSD, clone dynamic disk, disk wipe, etc. You can download and use it right away and explore more useful functions.