“Hi, I've been having boot problems with Windows 10 on my Asus laptop for a few days. The system crashed after opening a word doc and now won’t reboot. Tried chkdsk command line 3 times, but I got “file record segment is unreadable” each time. Does this mean my hard drive is no longer usable? Is there any way to save it? Or is it hopeless? Thanks”
What is file record segment?
File Record Segment (short for FRS) refers to file system that store information (eg: file name, date, type, and physical address) about files on internal and external hard drive, SSDs, laptop, Western Digital, etc.
NTFS stores these records in Master File Table (MFT) while other file systems (eg: FAT, FAT16, FAT32, exFAT) store record in File Allocation Table (FAT).
That’s to say, the total number of file record segments depends on the number of files saved on the partition with a specific file system, which in turn determines how many file record segments are in the MFT or FAT.
Why do you receive “file record segment is unreadable”?
As the user case shows, some users receive this error when using chkdsk to repair disk errors. In addition, this error may also occur when your computer detects any inconsistency or disk errors and it will automatically run chkdsk.
But this is just situations for “chkdsk file record segment is unreadable”, and is not the real reason. The real reason is that your disk has bad sectors, and these occupied cluster storage blocks are defected and does not respond to any read / write operations.
What does file record segment is unreadable mean?
When you receive “file record segment is unreadable” in Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10, it means that your hard drive may be corrupted physically or logically.
And you are at risk of losing your data if there are several file record segments become unreadable due to bad sectors. What’s worse, your hard disk will become Raw or unrecognized by Windows.
How to fix file record segment is unreadable?
After learning about “ file record segment is unreadable” on SSDs, western digital, Seagate, laptop, internal hard drive, you will get how to fix this error in the following. Here are two available methods.
Method 1. Clone hard drive to a new one
If there are many bad sectors on the disk, the disk will be corrupted sooner or later. It is advised to clone the target hard drive when encountering “File record segment is unreadable” error.
For disk cloning software, you can use AOMEI Backupper Standard. It allows you to make an exact copy of hard drive and you can use it to replace the disk with “file record segment is unreadable” in the future.
Step 1. Connect a new disk to your computer and ensure it can be recognized. Then, download AOMEI Backupper Standard and open the software.
Step 2. Click Clone and select Disk Clone.
Step 3. Select the disk with “file record segment is unreadable” error and click Next.
Step 4. Select the new disk as destination and click Next.
Step 5. Confirm the settings of the source and destination disk, and then click Start Clone.
• If the destination disk is an SSD, it is recommended to check the box before "SSD Alignment".
• If you clone small disk to larger disk, you can click the button of "Edit Partition" to use full capacity. The last two options are only available in the advanced version, please upgrade to AOMEI Backupper Professional if needed.
• The free version only supports cloning system disk with the same partition style. If you want to clone MBR to GPT disk, or vice versa, you could consider using advanced version. AOMEI Backupper has 6 different versions, you can go to edition comparison and select the suitable versions for you.
• To clone only system drive to SSD, you can use “System Clone” in AOMEI Backuper Professional as instead.
• AOMEI Backupper is still a backup and restore software for Windows. You can use AOMEI Backupper to schedule backup files for data protection.
Method 2: Shield bad sectors with CHKDSK
If your disk has bad sectors, you cannot repair it. However, you still can use chkdsk to retrieve information from bad sectors.
1. Go to Windows Explorer, right click on the drive with file record segment unreadable error message, and choose Properties.
2. Navigate to Tools tab and click Check from Error checking section.
3. Then choose Automatically fix system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors in Windows 7. If you are running Windows 8 and 10, these two options won't show up and you need to click Scan drive to continue with the instructions.
Note: Beside graphical interface, you can also use chkdsk command line in safe mode. Go to Safe mode by “F8” key or combination key “ Shift and Restart”, then select Safe Mode with Command Prompt, then type chkdsk g: /r (g is the drive letter of the partition having unreadable File record segment issue) and hit Enter.
Always keep a copy of important files and folders is necessary. Because it can avoid data lose owing to “file record segment is unreadable”error.
When receiving this error, you can not only clone hard drive to a new one with AOMEI Backupper, but also create a disk image for entire drive or simply backup critical data. Because this software is a disk clone software as well as backup and restore software for Windows 7, 8, 10, XP, etc.