Today, Windows 8/8.1 is widely used around the world. Most of the computers use a hard disk drive (HDD) to store the data and information. The traditional HDD is the most basic storage disk of computer and it is a metal platter with a magnetic coating. The data can be read and written while it is spinning. However, this kind of disk can be broken easily.
Fortunately, technological development brings a new storage disk - solid state drive (SSD), which is made by solid state electronic storage chip. So the SSD stores data on the memory chip without platter spinning.
Why we want to transfer Windows 8/8.1 from HDD to SSD?
We transfer Windows 8/8.1 from HDD to SSD mainly because of the advantages of SSD over HDD.
- First, SSD is a new storage disk made by the solid state electric storage chip, which is safer than the traditional storage platter of HDD.
- Second, unlike HDD, the data on SSD can be read and written directly from the chips, which would be faster than HDD and there isn’t any noise from the spinning of metal platter.
- Thirdly, SSD performs better in a serious environment (temperature between -10 to 70℃), while HDD can work only between 5 to 50℃.
Thereby, migrating Windows 8/8.1 from HDD to SSD can make your computer work better. Well then, how to migrate the system from HDD to SSD?
How to move Windows 8/8.1 from HDD to SSD
Windows 8/8.1 doesn’t have the function to move the system from HDD to SSD. So, you need to find a third-party software to help you. Considering the features and price, here we highly recommend AOMEI Backupper Professional to you. It has many powerful functions that are worth paying for.
You don’t have to worry if you want to upgrade the system, because AOMEI Backupper supports all the Windows PC operating systems including Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10/11. This software is easy to use. With its help, moving Windows 8/8.1 from HDD to SSD could be a piece of cake.
Here are the specific steps of transferring Windows 8/8.1 from HDD to SSD. Before you do, you need to prepare an SSD that is enough to store the system files.
Step 1. Install and launch AOMEI Backupper Professional. Click Clone on the main interface and select System Clone.
Step 2. System Clone will select the system partition(s) as the source partition(s) by default. You can select the destination partition here. Click it and it will be green. Click Next.
Step 3. It will pop out a window to remind you that the destination partition will be overwritten or deleted and ask if you are sure to continue the operation. If there is no problem, click OK to move on.
Step 4. Here is the summary of the whole operation. You can see the two options at the bottom of this window.
- The “Sector by sector clone” will clone every byte of the disk including the unused space. This will take more space and cost more time.
- As for “SSD Alignment”, we highly recommend you check it. Because it will optimize the performance of the SSD so that it will work better.
After all the settings, click Start Clone to launch the progress.
Step 5. When the progress reaches 100%, click Finish to end up it.
AOMEI Backupper can finish many tasks with a few clicks. To migrate Windows 8/8.1 from HDD to SSD, you can also create a system backup image of Windows 8/8.1 on HDD and restore system image backup to SSD. If the cloned SSD works well after a period of time, you can run DoD disk wipe on the old HDD to release storage space.