What is Hibernate Mode in Windows 11?
Hibernate mode is a special state that not only makes your computer energy-saving, but also keeps everything you do intact. When you instruct your computer to hibernate, it will save the current state of your computer, including opened programs, files, and so on, to a file called hiberfil.sys on your hard drive. Then it will shut down your computer.
When you turn on your computer again, it will start up very quickly and Windows 11 will restore the previously saved data, allowing you to continue working from where you left off. Hibernate mode of Windows 11 is not in the default power menu, but don't worry, this article will introduce 3 easy ways to help you enable hibernate mode in Windows 11.
Hibernate vs Sleep Mode
Hibernate mode is similar to sleep mode, because they both are designed to suspend your activity so you can return to where you left off. But they also have some differences. We have summarized the most important points for you.
- Save location: In hibernate mode, all your opened applications and files will be saved on your hard drive instead of RAM.
- Energy-saving: Hibernate mode is more energy-saving because it will store all your data in the hiberfil.sys file on your hard drive and then shut down the computer completely. Therefore, even without power, whenever you turn on your computer next time, you can go back to where you left off.
- Startup speed: Hibernate mode will be very fast when the next time you start your computer, while sleep mode will take longer to boot.
How to Enable Hibernate Mode in Windows 11
As we can see from the above, hibernation mode protects our data better, is more energy-efficient and has a faster boot speed. Next, this article will introduce you 3 useful ways to enable Windows 11 hibernate mode in turn. You can follow the graphic tutorials below to operate.
Method 1. Enable Hibernate Mode in Windows 11 with Control Panel
The first method is to enable hibernate mode in Windows 11 using the Control Panel. Here are the specific steps.
Step 1. Click the Search icon on the Taskbar and type control panel in the Search box, then select the app.
Step 2. When you are in the Control Panel window, select System and Security > Power Options.
Step 3. Click Choose what the power button does.
Step 4. Then click Change settings that are currently unavailable to access the Shutdown settings.
Step 5. The Shutdown settings section will show up. Tick Hibernate option and click Save changes.
If you want to disable the hibernate mode later, you can follow the previous steps to find the Shutdown settings page and then uncheck the Hibernate option and click Save Changes.
Method 2. Enable Hibernate Mode in Windows 11 with Command Prompt
In addition to the first method, you can also use the command Prompt to enable hibernate mode in Windows 11. And please follow the graphic tutorial below.
Step 1. Open the search box as before and type cmd.exe. When its icon appears, click Run as Administrator. If you’re prompted by the User Account Control, click Yes to grant administrative privileges.
Step 2. In the command prompt window, type powercfg.exe /hibernate on and press Enter.
If you want to disable hibernate mode in Windows 11, you can run the command-line powercfg.exe /hibernate off.
Method 3. Enable Hibernate Mode in Windows 11 with Registry Editor
If you don't want to use the two previously mentioned methods, you have another option which is to enable hibernation mode with the Registry Editor.
Step 1. Press win+R to open the Run interface, and type regedit to open the registry.
Step 2. Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power folder location.
Step 3. Then double click on the Hibernate Enable Default file and type 1 in Value data and click OK.
If you want to disable hibernate mode in Windows 11, you can type 0 in Value data and click OK.
Backup Windows 11 to Protect Data (Recommended)
When your computer is almost out of power, or you need to shut it down temporarily, hibernate mode can help you protect your previous data and let you continue working from where you left off when you turn it on again.
To better protect your data, we recommend you backup your system regularly, you can choose a free and safe backup software. AOMEI Backupper Standard is a good choice, it provides four backup solutions, that are System Backup, Disk Backup, File Backup and Partition Backup. So you can backup anything you want and restore them easily. As a professional backup software, it also has the following advantages.
- It allows you to make schedule backup, and you can set the intervals with daily, weekly or monthly.
- It provides Incremental backup, which can help you to save disk space.
- You can choose different backup modes (intelligent sector backup or exact backup) and compression levels (high/normal/low) based on your own needs.
- You can backup your system to multiple destinations, such as USB, HDD, SSD, NAS, etc.
- You can write comments to your backups and set up email notifications.
- It supports various operating systems including Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP.
Now, you can follow the steps below to backup your system.
Step 1. Download AOMEI Backupper Standard, install and launch it. Then click Backup > System Backup.
Step 2. It will select Windows 11 system partition and boot-related partitions automatically. And you just need to select a destination.
Step 3. Click Start Backup to backup Windows 11.
- Options: It allows you to enable email notification as well as choose the compression level for your system backup.
- Schedule: You can choose the frequency of your backup, such as daily, weekly or monthly.
- Scheme: It will delete older backups to save your disk space. And this feature is available in AOMEI Backupper Professional and higher versions.
I believe that you have known how to enable hibernation mode in Windows 11 by reading this article, and you can choose any of the methods mentioned in the article. Of course, for better data protection, you can use the free and reliable backup software AOMEI Backupper Standard to backup your Windows 11 regularly. If there is any problem with your OS, you can restore it with this system backup. And its Universal Restore feature supports you to restore your system to a computer with different hardware.
Besides, it is a professional cloning software that provides System Clone, Disk Clone, and Partition Clone. You can download it to learn more useful features.