“I have a Windows 10 computer that won’t boot from CD. I change first boot option in BIOS to CD but it still won't boot from the CD. I need to reimage Windows but I just can't. What else can I do? Thanks a lot.”
How to fix computer won’t boot from CD or DVD in Windows 10 error?
Bootable CD/DVD is a special disc that contains a bootable operating system. When you boot from a disc, what you're actually doing is running your computer with a small operating system that's installed on the CD/DVD.
You might have to boot from a CD/DVD if you're planning to reinstall the Windows operating system or run automatic Windows repair tools. However, you may encounter the situation that Windows won't boot from CD/DVD sometimes, which brings great inconvenience to you. You can try to solve this problem by reading the content below.
Fix 1. Make your PC turn on at all
If your PC doesn't power on at all, you won't boot Windows from CD successfully. You need to check if the power is connected properly and the power plug is loose. If you have a desktop, make sure the power button is switched on and the power supply at the back of its case is set at "On" position. If it still doesn't power on at all, there are chances that a power cable is disconnected in its cabinet.
Fix 2. Recheck the boot order in BIOS
The most common cause of this error is because BIOS is not configured to check the CD/DVD drive first. It can be easy to exit BIOS without saving the changes, so be sure to watch for any confirmation prompts and remember to press F10 to save your changes before exiting.
Fix 3. Clean the disc
Many Windows Setup CDs and DVDs may be placed aside and accumulated a lot of dust on it, so the disc may be old or dirty, and it can’t be used normally. Therefore, you need to clean it before using. A clean disc could make a difference.
Fix 4. Burn a new CD/DVD
Before booting Windows, you must make sure that you have a valid bootable CD. However, if you burn ISO file to disc by yourself, the disc may have errors on it. You could create a bootable CD correctly via a third-party tool on a well-functioning computer at first. AOMEI Backupper Professional is a reliable tool that can help you create a bootable media like CD, DVD, and USB. And it is compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, Windows 7, Windows Vista and XP.
If your computer can’t boot from CD/DVD in Windows 10, you can create bootable media with AOMEI Backupper by following the steps below.
✎Note: You need a CD-burning program, and also you need to insert the CD/DVD into the CD-ROM at first.
1. Download AOMEI Backupper Professional, install and launch it on a well-functioning computer. Click Create Bootable Media under the Tools tab.
2. Select Bootable Disc Type. It’s recommended to select Windows PE. This option is suitable for everyone and offers you more operations than Linux.
3. Select boot mode for Windows PE, Legacy for MBR system disk and UEFI for GPT system disk.
4. Tick Burn To CD/DVD and then click Next to move on.
5. Wait for the process and click Finish when it reaches to 100%.
6. Now you can insert the bootable CD to the computer where Windows is not booting from CD. Press certain key (Esc, F2, etc) to enter into BIOS, choose the bootable CD and click Enter to make the computer boot from CD.
How to restore Windows 10 with bootable media?
Actually, AOMEI Backupper is also a professional backup and restore software. If there are something wrong with your PC, you can perform system restore on this computer after booting your computer from CD/DVD created by AOMEI Backupper. With the Universal Restore feature, it can help you restore a system image of a working computer to a different computer. Please refer to the following steps.
1. Open AOMEI Backupper, you can click "System Backup" to create a system image on another well-functioning computer.
2. Booting your computer from CD/DVD created by AOMEI Backupper. Open AOMEI Backupper and click “Restore” > “Select Image File” option to select the system backup image you made before.
3. Select Restore the system backup, if you want to restore system to other location, just tick the corresponding box and click “Next”.
4. Select a partition to restore the operating system, and then click “Next”.
5. Confirm the operations, tick Universal Restore and then click “Start Restore” to begin the operations. when the operation is done, click “Finish” to exit.
By following these fixes, you may be able to fix the computer won't boot from CD in Windows 10 error. AOMEI Backupper is the last resort to this error, which can help you solve this problem easily by creating a bootable CD correctly with only a few steps. At the same time, you can also backup and restore your system with this software that make your computer work as normal.
In addition, to boot multiple computers simultaneously like in a company, you can turn to AOMEI PXE boot tool. It is a tool that allows you to boot computers from the network. Furthermore, if you use a server-based computer, you need to download AOMEI Backupper Server.