What are Dynamic Volumes?
All volumes on a dynamic disk are known as dynamic volumes, which include simple, spanned, striped, mirrored and RAID-5 volumes. They provide users with more flexibility than basic disks can give. Dynamic volumes enable users to set up software RAID directly without hardware RAID controller.
Since it’s mostly used by the user who has in-depth IT knowledge and advanced need in security, backing up dynamic system and/or data volumes in advance would be absolutely necessary. AOMEI Backupper Professional is specialized Windows backup software that allows users to backup dynamic volumes on dynamic disks. Let’s see how it works.
How to Backup Dynamic Disk Volumes with AOMEI Backupper
The following step-by-step guide takes backing up a simple and spanned volume as an example. If you want to backup entire dynamic disk, please backup dynamic system with System Backup first and then backup dynamic data volume. AOMEI Backupper is also able to backup other dynamic volumes, such as mirrored, RAID-5 volumes.
1. Download, install and launch this dynamic disk volume backup software. In the main interface, click "Backup" on the left, and then choose "Partition Backup" on the right.
2. Edit the task name based on your need. Click on "Add Partition or Volume" to select the dynamic volumes you need to backup.
3. In the Select Partition window, you can choose one or more volumes to be backed up. Once selected, they’ll be marked in green.
4. Then we need to select a location as the destination path. A thing that needs to be mentioned is that AOMEI Backupper supports backing up to NAS, and this is greatly helpful to SBS users.
5. Once the destination path is confirmed, we can change the settings before the backup process begins.
- Click "Options" at the bottom, then we will see the pop-up window below. Here we can select the compression level for the backup based on the space of the destination path; we can enable VSS so we can still work on our computer while the backup program is running in the background; we can add a password for the backup image, etc.
- Click "Schedule Backup" to access schedule settings. It enables you to perform automatic backups. We can set the backup schedule daily, weekly or monthly.
- Click "Scheme" to better organize your backup storage space with efficient backup strategy. You can choose 3 backup methods here: Full Backup, Incremental and Differential Backup. You can also enable automatic backup cleanup, which lets the program automatically clean up image files to save disk space usage.
6. Once all the settings are done, click "Start Backup" to perform dynamic volume backup.
It's extremely easy to backup dynamic disk volumes with AOMEI backup software. Why not try it out now?