How to Recover Files from Found.000 Folder?
Learn to recover files from Found.000 folder via three efficient ways on this page. And there’re related data loss prevention measures for you.
What is the Found.000 folder?
We ran CHKDSK on one of our disks on Windows 2012 R2 Server, which has run for four days. But it stuck at 10% and doing nothing. So we restarted the Server. However, we cannot see the files we had before running CHKDSK on the disk. Thus, we checked the hidden folder and found the files saved in a newly created folder named Found.000. So how can we restore these files and folders in their original format? Thanks.
- A user from Microsoft Community
As you can see, the Found.000 folder can be created as a user runs the CHKDSK utility. This folder contains all corrupted and fragmented data in the .chk extension.
The Found. 000 folder is situated in your PC’s root directory, and its size varies depends based on the situation.
In general, this folder is hidden by default. To show hidden files or folders, please tick Hidden items with Windows File Explorer to make them reappear.
Sudden power outages, Windows OS crashes, interruption during a writing process, and virus attacks also can cause the creation of the Found.000 folder.
Three ways to recover files from Found.000 folder
Since CHK. files are inaccessible, you’re supposed to convert them to their previous format. When it comes to issues regarding how to recover files from Found.000 folder, there’re three feasible methods for you.
Solution 1. Recover CHK file from Found.000 folder via CMD
CMD is a powerful tool that also can help you recover files from Found.000 folder. Please refer to the following steps.
Step 1. Type “cmd” in the search bar and select the “Run as Administrator” option to open the command prompt window.
Step 2. Type “cd/” in the command prompt window.
Step 3. Type the drive letter of the drive that saves the Found.000 folder and CHK. files.
Step 4. Type “cd Found.000” in the window.
Step 5. Type “ren *.chk *.jpg” to convert the CHK files to their original format. You can change its file extension based on your needs.
Solution 2. Recover files from Found.000 folder via Previous Versions
Is there another way to recover files from Found.000 folder? It turns out there is. If you’ve made regular backups via Windows backup features like Previous Versions, you can get varied copies of your Found.000 folder.
Please ensure you’ve enabled File History or turned on the System Protection of the local C drive, otherwise, this Windows feature is useless for you.
Step 1. Press “Win + E” to open Windows File Explorer and locate the folder that contains your needed files or folders.
Step 2. Right-click on your selected folder and click the “Properties” option.
Step 3. Click “Previous versions” and choose a file version you want to retrieve. Then click the “Restore” button.
Solution 3. Recover files from Found.000 folder via data recovery software
But how to recover files from Found.000 folder without backups? At this point, you’ll have no choice but to seek help from professional Windows data recovery software.
Supported by AOMEI Tech, MyRecover could help you recover CHK file from Found.000 folder without backups.
Highlights of MyRecover:
● Powerful features: Recover deleted & lost Word, Excel, PPT, folders, compressed files, photos, songs, videos, audio, websites, and other 200+ different types of data from internal & external hard drives, USB, SSD, etc.
● Easy-to-find: Quick Scan and Deep Scan can find your deleted & missing files as many as possible. You can also quickly locate your desired files by Filename, Path, Date, Size, etc.
● Convenient: Get deleted files’ original Paths, Filenames, and Format after recovery.
● Excellent compatibility: Support NTFS, FAT32, exFAT, and ReFS file systems and be compatible with Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, or Windows Server.
Step 1. After running MyRecover on your Windows PC, select the C drive and click the “Start Scan” button.
Step 2. Filter your needed data according to Name, Date, Document Type, or Path.
- Name: Type the filenames of your desired files to narrow the search area.
- Date modified: Set the date (today, yesterday, last 7/30 days, and so on) according to your situation.
- Size: Filter the file size (<128KB, 128KB~1MB, 1MB~ 512MB, etc) based on your needs.
Step 3. Go to the Deleted Files/Recycle Bin/Other Missing Files folder and select your needed files. Then click “Recover x files” to begin the Windows data recovery process.
- After Windows data recovery, please save retrieved data in a new path.
- To easily recover a large number of deleted and missing files from your local hard drive with no effort, please consider upgrading MyRecover to the Professional or Technician edition.
What is the Found.000 folder? How to recover files from Found.000 folder? Please find the answers from the above part. Moreover, you’re supposed to regular backups via this free backup software for Windows, AOMEI Backupper to against data loss.