How can I transfer Windows boot drive to another drive?
It's disappointed that Windows does not have a free disk clone software to copy boot drive to another drive, whether HDD or SSD. Reinstalling Windows is complicated and time-consuming, and most users don't want to spend time on it. Indeed, this is something we often avoid doing. So, how to transfer Windows 7/8/10 to new hard drive without reinstalling Windows?
You can seek help from third-party software to easily and quckily clone all the required partitions or system files you will use to start your computer. I strongly recommend you you use AOMEI Backupper Standard to clone HDD to SSD for free. It’s used by many users in the worldwide.
Now, let's have a glance at this article.
Does cloning a drive make it bootable?
How to change boot drive to SSD in Windows 7/8/10? Does cloning a drive make it bootable? Some users may have these doubts. Here, I can tell you responsibly that the cloned disk can successfully boot your computer. Cloning a hard drive in Windows 7/8/10 makes a bootable copy of the entire disk, including everything required to start your computer. Meanwhile, you need to make sure the following things.
1. Your new HDD or SSD need to be the same or larger than your old boot drive. If not, the system files, hidden system reserved partition or EFI partition may not be included in the new disk, so cloned hard drive will not boot.
2. Your target disk should have the same partition style with the curent boot disk. Otherwise, your computer still cannot start. As you know, MBR disk starts from legacy BIOS and GPT disk boots from EFI or UEFI boot mode.
To check partition style between two drives, you could go to disk management, right click the hard disk or the SSD, choose Properties -> Volume -> Partition Style, then you will see its partition style, either MBR or GPT.
3. If your computer is a laptop, you still need a USB-to-SATA adapter or encloser. Most laptops have only one drive slot, so you need to connect the drive externally to ensure the cloning process goes smoothly.
How do I copy boot drive to another drive for free?
To make a disk bootable, you can use “Disk Clone” feature of AOMEI Backupper Standard. With it, you can clone smaller disk to larger disk or even clone larger HDD to smaller SSD for free. Also, if your target disk is an SSD, you can speed up the performance of it through the "SSD Alignment" feature.
Then, let's have a closer look at the detailed steps to move boot drive to another drive. Please install the new HDD or SSD on the desktop computer. If it's a laptop, you could use a USB-to-SATA cable to connect for cloning.
Step 1. Download and install AOMEI Backupper Standard. Then, launch it, click Clone and Disk Clone to start the cloning process.
Step 2. Select the boot drive containing the operating system as source disk and click Next.
Step 3. Select the connect HDD or SSD as destination disk and click Next.
Step 4. Tick "SSD Alignment" to accelerate the reading and writing speed of SSDs while performing HDD to SSD clone. Then, click Start Clone and wait patiently until the operation is completed.
• "Edit Partitions": It helps you make full use of disk space on the target disk by "Add unused space to all partitions" or "Manually adjust partition size". But it's available on AOMEI Backupper Professional at least.
• "Sector by sector clone": It allows you to clone all sectors of the disk to a larger one, whether used or not.
• To only move boot partition in Windows 10/8/7, you could use "System Clone" feature in the advanced version - AOMEI Backupper Professional.
• Standard edition supports cloning system disk between MBR and MBR, if you want to clone GPT to GPT, MBR to GPT or GPT to MBR, please ugprade to Pro edition.
What to do after cloning a hard drive to SSD/HDD?
Sometimes, your computer will not boot from the target drive automatically, especially for a laptop. For a desktop, you can directly change boot order to set the boot priority for cloned disk, then it will boot.
But if you are using a laptop, you need to take out the old hard drive and install SSD on the location of your original hard drive. If you don’t switch boot drive in Windows 7/8/10, it may boot from the original hard drive automatically. Then, set the cloned hard drive to the first boot option and boot from it.
• If your target disk has different partition style as source disk, and it's GPT, please change Legacy BIOS to UEFI, and vice versa.
• Don’t format the older boot disk until your computer can boot from the new drive.
• If your HDD is still working well, you can use SSD for OS and HDD for storage. Therefore, you can enjouy the high performance of SSD and big capacity of HDD.
In the end
With the help of disk cloning software - AOMEI Backupper Standard, you can copy boot drive to another drive easily and quickly. This operation saves you much time and effort and you don't need to reinstall Windows from scratch. And you are allowed to clone hard drive with different size, whether to larger HDD or smaller SSD.
Also, this software is still a free backup and restore software to protect your computer by its powerful backup solutions, including file backup, system backup, disk backup, partition backup, incremental & differential backup, event trigger, daily/weekly/monthly schedule backup, create bootable USB etc. Just download it to have a try right now!