Why is my Windows folder size too large?
When you find that your c drive is in low disk space, you will go to examine the size of the C:/ Wiindows folder and then you may find the WinSxS folder use a lot of space. Many users reports that I don't why the Win SxS folder get too big?
That's because the WinSxS folder contains all system components of your computer. And the component files are just links to the files contained in the WinSxS folder. When your computer updates, it will keep both new Windows component and old component in the WinSxS. That's to say, every update will increase the size of this folder. But it's not limited to that. Every backup can also occupy much disk space.
What to delete from the computer?
In Windows 7/8/10, there are some files and folders you don't really need but Windows still keep it. Users report that I don't know what can be deleted and what can't. Here, I'll show you some files and folder which can be removed:
1. Windows Update Cleanup. This option can erase the old copies of Windows Update files.
2. Windows Upgrade log files.
3. Language resource files. This option can delete the language or keyboard layout that you don't use.
4. Recycle Bin. This folder is used to keep deleted files until you delete them permanently or restore them to your computer.
5. Temporary files. Temporary files do not be used in a long-term. You can delete it if your disk is out of space.
6. Windows.old folder. You will get a folder named Windows.old after you upgrade your computer. It allows you to restore from Windows.old folder within 30 days. If you don't want to go to the previous version of Windows, you can delete it.
7. Downloaded Program Files. This folder contains files used by Internet Explorer's ActiveX control and Java applets. However, the ActiveX is extremely outdated tech and full of security holes. If you do not use IE browser, you can remove it.
8. Created system restore point. This option allows you to restore your computer to an earlier date when your computer run into issues.
Tip：Do not try to manually delete files. You may delete some files necessary accidentally. You can use Disk Cleanup tool in Windows 7/8/8.1/10.
Windows folder too big in Windows 7/8 – fixed
In Windows 7/8/10, there is a feature called Disk Cleanup, which can help you delete the files you don't need and does not cause any problem.
But there is a little difference in Windows 10 Disk Cleanup. Windows 10 Disk Cleanup adds a new option named System Compression that is used to compress Windows binaries and program files. In a way, it can help you save disk space if you use Windows 10.
Here, I will take Windows 7 as an example and show you the detailed steps.
Step 1. Type disk cleanup in the search box and select it.
Step 2. Select the drive contains system file and click OK. Then it will calculate how much space you will be able to free.
Step 3. Under the Files to delete option, tick the above mentioned files and folders and click OK. Then, just wait and check out the size of system drive. If you cannot see Windows Update cleanup in Windows 7, you can click Clean up system files at the bottom and do as step 2.
Windows folder too big in Windows 10- fixed
Using DISM to reduce the size of Windows folder
If you are familiar with CMD, you can use DISM commands. This command-line can help you reduce the size of Windows folder.
Step 1. Type cmd in the search box and run it as administrator.
Step 2. Type the following command and click Enter. It can clean up the files that your system is not in use.
Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Step 3. Type the command below and hit Enter. It can help you remove all superseded versions of every component in the component store,
Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
Step 4. Type the following command and hit Enter. It can reduce the amount of space occupied by a Service Pack.
Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /SPSuperseded
Using third-party tool to solve Windows folder size too large
As mentioned above, system restore point and backup can be one of the reasons why your WinSxS folder too big. You can delete it and temporarily fix the low disk space issue on your computer.
But it's not recommended. Anyway, you need a backup to ensure the data security on the computer. Thus, you should reduce the size of your backup as soon as possible instead of deleting it. I recommend you to use a third-party tool like AOMEI Backupper Professional, which can ensure the data security and use less disk space.
In AOMEI Backupper Professional, there are 4 options available here.
1. Compress your backup.
2. Delete old backup at a regular time.
3. Use differential backup or incremental backup instead of full backup.
4. Backup to USB , external hard drive, Google Drive, NAS, etc.
Option 1: Compress your backup. You can also click Options and Advanced. Then select Normal or High Compression level.
Option 2: Delete old backup via Backup Scheme. You can click Scheme, open Enable Backup Scheme and select one of the backup schemes.
Option 3: Use differential backup or incremental backup instead of full backup. You can also click Schedule and Advanced, tick Incremental Backup or Differential backup.
Option 4: Backup to external storage device. To reduce the size of internal hard drive, you can try to backup to external hard drive, USB, Google Drive, OneDrive, NAS, etc. All of them do not occupy the disk space of your internal hard drive.
Disk Cleanup tool and CMD both can assist you in resolving Windows folder size too large in Windows 7/8/10 as well as server 2008 (R2)/2012(R2)/2016. Besides, you can fix this issue by reducing the size of your backup. After all, it's one of the causes for low disk space on the computer. AOMEI Backupper Professional can help you. If you use server-based computer, you can download AOMEI Backupper Server edition and then try above option.