Backup Emails Outlook 2010 in Windows 7 – Once or Regularly
You may lose your Outlook emails if the Outlook Data File gets damaged. Thus, it’s important to backup emails in Outlook. Learn how to do it from this page.
Scenarios of Outlook Data File getting damaged
When you add an email account to Outlook, a local copy of your information is stored on your computer. As a result, you can access your previously downloaded or synchronized email messages, contacts and so on without an internet connection.
Outlook 365 accounts, Exchange accounts, IMAP accounts, and Outlook.com accounts store their information in Offline Outlook Data Files (.ost files), whereas POP accounts store their information in Outlook Data Files (.pst files).
Usually, Outlook Data Files are quite stable. However, they can be damaged in the following situations:
- A sudden power failure when the OST/PST file is open.
- Improper shutdown of the computer when the OST/PST file is open.
- Malware or virus infection.
- Bad sectors in the hard drive.
- Incompatible Outlook version. Officially, Windows 7 only supports Outlook 2003, Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010.
If an Outlook Data File gets damaged, you can’t access your email messages properly. Thus, it’s necessary to backup emails in Outlook.
How to backup emails Outlook 2010 in Windows 7/8/10 easily
In this part, I’ll show you two easy ways to backup emails in Outlook 2010.
Way 1: backup emails in Outlook 2010 once via the “Export” feature
The “Export” feature in Outlook desktop app can help you backup email messages. Follow these steps to do Outlook 2010 exporting emails:
- In Outlook, click File > Open & Export > Import/Export.
- Click Export to a file, and then click Next.
- Click Outlook Data File (.pst), and click Next.
- In the Select folder to export from box, select the email folder under the target account and click Next. Check the box Include subfolders as necessary.
- Save the backup file to the default location C:\Users\Username\Documents\Outlook Files. Or click Browse to select another location. Also, name the backup file as per your need. Then click Finish.
- Enter and confirm a password if there are sensitive files you want to protect and click OK to begin the export process.
Way 2: backup Outlook 2010 emails regularly with a third-party tool
To backup Outlook emails, you can turn to the best Outlook backup software – AOMEI Backupper Professional. It offers all-around backup solutions:
- It enables you to backup all data in Outlook, including emails, contacts, notes, calendars, and tasks.
- It supports Outlook, Gmail, Hotmail, and any other email accounts added into Outlook client.
- Various backup devices are supported, such as external hard drive, USB flash drive, NAS device, and cloud drive. It works fine to backup Gmail to Dropbox.
- You are allowed to backup your email data automatically using the “Schedule Backup” feature.
- You are able to run incremental or differential backup to reduce backup time and the backup image size.
After you add the needed email account to Outlook, you can follow the instructions below to backup Outlook 2010 emails automatically with AOMEI Backupper:
- Download and install AOMEI Backupper on your PC. Launch the program, click Backup and select Outlook Backup.
- Name this backup task as per your need. Then click Add Outlook Data. In the popup window, select the email folder(s) under the target email account as the backup source.
- Select a destination path to save the backup image. For better data protection, it is suggested to backup to an external hard drive, network location or cloud storage.
- Click Schedule Backup and choose your desired backup frequency. There are four options available: Daily, Weekly, Monthly and Event triggers.
- Finally, click Start Backup > Add the schedule and start backup now to begin backing up Outlook emails immediately. You can also choose Only add the schedule to run it later.
There are two ways offered in this article to help you backup emails Outlook 2010 in Windows 7/8/10. The “Export” feature only allows you to backup one folder at once and it cannot be run automatically. Luckily, AOMEI Backupper breaks the limitations. It enables you to backup multiple folders at once and you can backup Outlook data automatically with the “Schedule Backup” feature.
Actually, AOMEI Backupper can do far more than that. If you want to recycle your computer, you can use the Disk Wipe feature to permanently delete files from computer. Try it now to discover more!