Windows 10 Startup Repair Not Working
“Guys please help I have a laptop and I've been having the blue screen of death recently and I don't know what's causing it. When I try to use automatic repair on advance options to fix the problem it gives me an error that startup repair couldn't repair my pc and I don't know if windows system restore can help me. I don't want to reformat and lose all my files and programs. If you can help me please let me know step by step what I need to do because I'm not good with tech stuff. Pls advise, thanks.”
- Question from Windows Ten Forums
The case above is an example of the user encountering the "Startup Repair" not working problems. In fact, many users have encountered such problems, as well as problems like automatic repair falling into a loop. When they turn on the computer, Windows 10 won’t boot.
When you encounter a problem that cannot be solved or the computer cannot boot to Windows 10 for any repair, you can run Windows 10 startup repair using Command Prompt from Windows 10 Safe mode or via Windows Recovery. How to open Command Prompt? How to fix boot in Windows 10 using CMD? Detailed steps are as follows.
Instructions to Open Command Prompt
In this part, you can learn 2 effective ways to open Command Prompt on Windows 10.
Enter Windows 10 Safe Mode with Command Prompt
If you can’t access Windows 10 at all, you’ll need to do the following:
When you are in Windows Recovery, select Troubleshoot -> Advanced options -> Startup Settings. From there, press the 6) key to boot into Windows 10 safe mode with command prompt on next restart.
Open Command Prompt from Windows 10 Recovery
If you are unable to access your Windows 10 at the beginning, please follow the above steps to repeatedly shut down your computer forcibly to boot your PC into the Windows Recovery Environment.
Once you’re there, select Troubleshoot -> Advanced options -> Command Prompt. You will then be able to execute commands directly from the Windows Recovery CMD.
How to Repair Boot in Windows 10 via CMD
In this part, you can learn 4 solutions to perform Windows 10 Startup Repair via CMD.
Solution 1: repair Windows 10 using SFC
SFC (System File Checker) is a command-line utility that can scan for corruption in Windows system files and replace any corrupted or missing protected system files with a known good version. In the Command Prompt, enter the following command and press enter.
After the scan is complete, you can choose to restart your computer now to verify if the problem persists.
Solution 2: running Bootrec to repair Windows 10 Boot problem
Bootrec.exe is a standard free utility designed to troubleshoot boot problems in the Windows Recovery Environment. If the Windows 10 Startup Repair not working, you can try to fix Windows 10 with BootRec commands.
- You need a Windows installation DVD. If you do not have, you can go to a working Windows 10 to create a recovery drive or create a bootable media.
- After booting into Windows Setup, choose the Repair Your Computer -> Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Command Prompt. If you are using a recovery drive, click Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Command Prompt.
- In the command prompt, type in the following commands one after the other:
Note✍: You should press Enter after typing each command.
Solution 3: reset Windows 10 with command line
To reset Windows 10 with "Reset this PC", follow the instructions below:
Type “systemreset -cleanpc” in an elevated command prompt and press "Enter".
Solution 4. run system restore with Command Prompt
If none of the above solutions fix your Windows 10 startup problem, you can decide whether to restore your Windows 10 system to a previous date. However, it is worth noting that it will not recover any type of documents, music, emails or personal files. If you want to do this, see below:
- Enter Windows 10 safe mode with command prompt.
- Sign in using an administrator account if needed. Once the command prompt is showing, enter "rstrui.exe" at first in the Command Prompt Window and press "Enter" to continue.
- This command will bring you to the interface of System Restore. You can either use the recommended restore point or click "Next" to choose an available restore point. Then, follow the instruction to complete system restore.
Quick Solution for Windows 10 Startup Problems
The above methods may seem daunting to technical novices, here I recommend to you an alternative which can help you quickly fix Windows 10 startup problems. AOMEI Backupper is reliable backup and restore software that deserves a try. It can be used in Windows Visa/XP/7/8/8.1/10/11.
As you can see, the problem of Windows 10 startup repair not working can be caused by damaged, invalid or deleted system files. This software can help you create a system image backup so that you can restore the system to a normal state when problems occur. What’s more, you can use AOMEI Backupper to create a bootable device for recovery before accidents happen.
When your Windows 10 won’t boot, you can use this bootable media to restore the computer to an earlier date. I will introduce how to perform system restore from boot via this software. Click here to try this freeware.
- Connect the bootable media to the computer to be restored. Start your computer and press a specific key (usually Del or F2) to boot into BIOS. Switch the bootable media as the first boot option. Then, press F10 to restart your computer and your computer load the intuitive interface of AOMEI Backupper.
- Under the "Restore" tab, click "Select Image File" to locate the image backup file that you want to restore. Then click "OK".
- Select to restore the entire backup and click Next. If needed, tick the option "Restore system to other location".
- In this screen, you can preview the summary of restoring operation, and then click "Start Restore" to start the process.
You can fix Windows 10 startup repair using Command Prompt. But these solutions may seem a little difficult for those technical novices. Therefore, creating a system backup and a bootable media in advance via AOMEI Backupper seems like the easiest way to protect your computer.
As a piece of powerful backup and recovery software, you can not only perform system backups, but also partition backups and file backups between computers, disks and clouds. When some accidents happen, you can easily recover lost/deleted files in Windows 10 with just a few clicks. Try it right now!