Case: The RPC server is unavailable
“After the upgrading of Windows 10 version 1803, my system image backup keeps failing with the error message: 'The backup failed. The RPC server is unavailable (0x800706BA)'. I am not sure what it is? What should I do about this error? Any reply will be appreciated!”
Have you ever seen this message "The RPC server is unavailable" in Windows 10? It often appears when you create a system image using Windows Backup and Restore, and followed by the error code 0x800706BA.
If you are in the same situation, keep reading and hopefully one of the solutions can solve your problem.
How does the RPC server unavailable error happen?
Some users have reported receiving backup failure message like “The RPC server is unavailable. (0x800706BA)” when creating system image. And it happens frequently on Windows 10, especially for V1803, 32 bits.
Actually, “The RPC server is unavailable” is a Windows error that might occur on any version of the operating system. RPC here means Remote Procedure Call, and it is a Windows system that allows communication between processes. Whenever there is an error in communications between a server and a client, the error “The RPC Server is Unavailable” pops-up.
Typically, there are a few reasons for this error:
◆ Problems with the network connection.
◆ Name resolutions problems.
◆ Firewall or antivirus blocks traffic.
◆ Corrupted registry entries.
How to fix the RPC server is unavailable in Windows 10?
As the reason behind the RPC server unavailable error (0x800706BA) can be any of the above-mentioned points, there are several ways to fix it and allow you to perform Windows 10 backup successfully.
Solution 1. Use an alternative software for Windows 10 backup
To get rid of the problem of Windows backup and restore utility, one of the effective ways is to use an alternative software for Windows 10 backup.
AOMEI Backupper Standard, for example, is a free and reliable backup software that can easily backup and restore the system in Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP/Vista. Meanwhile, the system image can be saved as a precaution to avoid system failures in the future.
Beyond that, you can use AOMEI Backupper Standard backup files, partition and disk, set up a scheduled backup on Daily/Weekly/Monthly/etc. basis, or perform Full/Incremental/Differential backup.
Here are the steps to backup system image in Windows 10 with AOMEI Backupper:
1. Download AOMEI Backupper Standard, install and launch it.
2. Click Backup and select System Backup. You can also choose other backup options when needed.
3. The related system and boot partitions are selected automatically. Choose the destination path to store the system image. You can save it to a local disk, external hard drive, USB or network location.
4. Click Start Backup to execute the task. Optionally, you can click Options, Schedule and Scheme to cutomize the backup. For example, set up a schedule to perform automatic backup.
Options: manage settings of comment, email notification, backup mode, image compression and splitting, etc.
Schedule: options includinig Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Event triggers and USB plug in. To enjoy the last two, you need to upgrade to advanced editions.
Scheme: automatically delete backups according to the rule you set up. It's available in advanced editions to save your storage space.
Solution 2. Make sure the RPC services are working properly
The Windows 10 backup issue “Backup failed. The RPC server is unavailable” can be caused by improper functioning of RPC service on every connected computer.
To ensure that all these RPC-related services are running normally, follow the steps below.
1. Press Windows logo and R key on your keyboard to open the Run dialog. Next, input services.msc and click OK. This should open the Services window.
2. On the Services window, scroll down to find the items DCOM Server Process Launcher, Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and RPC Endpoint Mapper.
Ensure their status is Running and their startup is set to Automatic. Otherwise, proceed to next solution and fix the registry files.
Solution 3. Make sure Windows Registry is set correctly
Only correct registry settings can ensure the RPC running properly on your computer. Otherwise the 0x800706BA error may show when you create a system image with Backup and Restore (Windows 7) utility.
Therefore, you can fix the 0x800706BA error in Windows 10 by redressing the registry settings.
✎Note: Windows Registry is a sensitive database. If you make any mistake when changing it, some unexpected problems may come out and damage your computer. Therefore, you’d better backup the registry and the system with AOMEI Backupper before proceeding to the steps below.
1. Log in your operating system as administrator. Then, type regedit in the Run box and hit Enter.
2. Once you’re inside the Registry Editor, navigate to the paths one after another as shown below:
3. Double-click Start and change the Value Data to 2 in three paths successively as shown in the image below.
4. Quit Registry Editor and see whether the Windows 10 backup issue “The RPC server is unavailable” still occurs.
Solution 4. Configure the computer Firewall
In some cases, the Firewall may block the traffic that is requested by RPC, resulting in the RPC server is unavailable 0x800706BA in Windows 10.
To fix this Windows backup issue, please check your firewall configuration and see if it is preventing the RPC from connecting to a network.
✎Note: If you’re using a third-party firewall, follow the instructions from your provider. Here are the instructions for Windows Firewall.
1. In Windows 10, type control panel in the search box and click this tool in the results to open it.
2. Go to System and Security, click Windows Firewall and click Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall option.
3. Look for Remote Assistance and make sure that the boxes for Private and Public are ticked. Then, click OK to save the changes.
Solution 5. Check network connection
Network connection interruption can also cause the RPC server unavailable and Windows 10 backup to fail. Thus you may need to check if all your devices are correctly connected to the network.
You can check your Internet connection by following these steps.
1. Type ncpa.cpl in the Run dialog and hit Enter. This should show you all the Network Connections available.
2. In the Network Connections window, right-click on the network you are using, and choose Properties from the context menu.
3. Check whether File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) are enabled. If not, please tick the corresponding checkbox.
Solution 6. Upgrade or downgrade your operation system
According to reports, the problem of Win32 RPC server unavailability often occurs when Windows 10 version 1803 backs up Windows systems. In this case, you can choose to downgrade Windows to a previous version, or upgrade your OS to the latest version to get rid of trouble.
To upgrade: Click Start > Settings > Update & Security > Check for updates.
To downgrade: If you upgraded to current version within 30 days, and the Windows.old folder still exists, you can click Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Go back to the previous version of Windows 10 > Get Started.
If your backup failed due to “The RPC server is unavailable” in Windows 10, you can try above methods to solve it. But there is no guarantee that it will succeed 100%. The best way to prevent this kind of errors is to backup the system frequently at ordinary times, and AOMEI Backupper is a good choice to perform the task.
With it, you can easily get rid of problems like Backup and Restore not working, File History drive disconnected, Windows 10 Reset fail, etc. And even if you are a Windows Server user, there's AOMEI Backupper Server for you to choose.