“After the upgrading of Windows 10 version 1803 on April 30, 2018, my system image backup keeps failing with the error message: 'The backup failed. The RPC server is unavailable (0x800706BA)'. I am not sure what it is? What should I do about this error? Any kindly reply will be appreciated!”
“The RPC server is unavailable” error in Windows 10 backup
Some users reported that they received a backup failure message: “The RPC server is unavailable. (0x800706BA)” when they create system image. And it happens often on Windows 10, especially for V1803, 32 bits.
Actually, “The RPC server is unavailable” is a Windows error that might occur on any version of the operating system. RPC here means Remote Procedure Call, and it is a Windows system that allows communication between processes. Whenever there is an error in communications between a server and a client, the error “The RPC Server is Unavailable” pops-up.
Typically, there are a few reasons for this error:
Problems with the network connection.
Name resolutions problems.
Firewall or antivirus blocks traffic.
Corrupted registry entries.
How to fix “The RPC server is unavailable” error in Windows 10 backup?
As the reason behind this error can be any of the above-mentioned points, there are several ways to fix it. If your Windows 10 backup failed with the error message “The RPC server is unavailable, (0x800706BA)”, you can try these solutions in order until the problem is solved.
Solution 1. Use an alternative software for Windows 10 backup
Since there’s a problem with Windows software itself, specifically 1803 version of wbengine.exe, using an alternative software to do Windows system backup would be a better choice. AOMEI Backupper Standard is a free and reliable backup software that can help you create a system image backup easily within only a few clicks.
In addition, with this software, you can set up a scheduled backup in Daily/Weekly/Monthly, Event triggers, or Real-time mode. Moreover, Full/Incremental/Differential backup are also supported. If you create a scheduled backup, you can delete older backup with Backup Scheme feature. If not, your disk will be full filed sooner or later.
You can follow the steps below to do Windows 10 backup with AOMEI Backupper.
1. Download AOMEI Backupper Standard, install and launch it.
2. Click “Backup” and select “System Backup”.
3. The related system and boot partitions are selected by default. Choose the destination path to store the system image. You can save it to a local disk, external hard drive or network location.
4. (Optional) Click the “Schedule” button to set up Daily/Weekly/Monthly backup under General tab or Full/ Incremental backup under Advanced tab. Then, click Start Backup.
✎Note：You can click “Scheme” to enable Disk Space Management. Then, this software will automatically delete old backups if needed. (You can upgrade to paid versions to enjoy this feature).
Solution 2. Ensure the RPC services are working properly
“The RPC server is unavailable” Windows 10 backup issue can be caused by improper functioning of RPC service on every connected computer. To ensure that all these RPC-related services are running normally, follow the steps below.
1. Press Windows logo and R key on your keyboard to open the Run dialog. Next, input services.msc and click OK. This should open the Services window.
2. On the Services window, scroll down to find the items DCOM Server Process Launcher, Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and RPC Endpoint Mapper. Ensure their status is Running and their startup is set to Automatic. Otherwise, proceed to next solution and fix the registry files.
Solution 3. Check Windows Registry
It is important for your computer to have the right registry settings to ensure that the RPC is running properly. If your RPC services are not set correctly, 0x800706BA error code may show when you create a system image with Backup and Restore (Windows 7) utility. If your RPC services are not set correctly, you have to modify the registry by following the steps below.
✎Note: Windows Registry is a sensitive database. If you make any mistake when changing it, some unexpected problems may come out and damage your computer. Therefore, you’d better backup the registry and the system with AOMEI Backupper before proceeding to the steps below.
1. Log in your operating system as administrator. Then, type regedit in the Run box and hit Enter.
2. Once you’re inside the Registry Editor, navigate to the paths one after another as shown below:
3. Double-click Start and change the Value Data to 2 in three paths successively as shown in the image below.
4. Close Registry Editor and see whether the Windows 10 backup issue: “The RPC server is unavailable” occurs.
Solution 4. Configure the Firewall
In some cases, the Firewall may block the traffic that is requested by RPC, resulting in the error code 0xX800706BA in Windows 10. To fix this Windows backup issue, please check your firewall configuration and see if it is preventing the RPC from connecting to a network.
✎Note: If you’re using a third-party firewall, follow the instructions from your provider. Here are the instructions for Windows Firewall.
1. In Windows 10, type control panel in the search box and click this tool in the results to open it.
2. Go to System and Security, click Windows Firewall and click Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall option.
3. Look for Remote Assistance and make sure that the boxes for Private and Public are ticked. Then, click OK to save the changes.
Solution 5. Check network connection
Network connection interruption can also cause the RPC server error. As such, you have to check if all your devices you’re using are correctly connected to the network. You can check your Internet connection by following these steps.
1. Type ncpa.cpl in the Run dialog and hit Enter. This should show you all the Network Connections available.
2. In the Network Connections window, right-click on the network you are using, and choose Properties from the context menu.
3. Check whether File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) are enabled. If not, please tick the corresponding checkbox.
Solution 6. Upgrade your system to a new version or downgrade to a previous version
According to reports, the problem of Win32 RPC server unavailability often occurs when Windows 10 version 1803 backs up Windows systems. In this case, you can choose to downgrade Windows to a previous version, or upgrade your OS to the latest version to get rid of trouble.
When Windows 10 backup issue: “The RPC server is unavailable” occurs, you can try to solve it with above solutions. But there is no guarantee that it will succeed every time. Therefore, AOMEI Backupper is a better choice for you to backup windows 10 system, because it can help you get rid of these Windows errors and remain safe from any bugs from Windows updates.
In addition, AOMEI Backupper Standard is for Windows Vista/XP/7/8/10 only, if you are a Windows Server user, you can try another version-AOMEI Backupper Server.