What is Hyper-V
Hyper-V is a Type 1 hypervisor virtualization technology provided by Microsoft, first introduced in Windows Server 2008, that is able to deploy different systems. Hyper-V consolidates virtual servers onto a single physical computer, enabling you to significantly reduce the related costs, improve hardware utilization, optimize your infrastructure, and increase server availability.
Prerequisites of creating Windows 10 Hyper-V VM
Before creating a Windows 10 virtual machine in Hyper-V, you need to check your OS and hardware first, then go to enable Hyper-V.
Hyper-V is only available for Windows 8/8.1/10/11, and only for Education, Professional and Enterprise versions. Take Windows 10 as an example, where Hyper-V can be enabled normally for Windows 10 Education, Professional and Enterprise editions, but Windows 10 Home does not include Hyper-V role, so you cannot use Hyper-V to create virtual machines.
In addition, you need to check if your computer meets the hardware requirements and BIOS settings for creating a virtual machine in Hyper-V.
- 64-bit CPU with Second Level Address Translation (SLAT)
- VM monitoring mode expansion
- At least 4 GB of memory
- Hardware-assisted virtualization (Intel VT or AMD-V)
- Hardware enforced data execution protection (Intel XD-bit or AMD NX-bit)
The following steps are based on Windows 10 Enterprise to enable the Hyper-V feature.
1. Use Windows+R to open the Execute window, type optionalfeatures.exe and press Enter.
2. In the Windows Feature, select Hyper-V >> OK. Restart the computer to enable Hyper-V on Windows 10.
3. In addition to Windows features, you can also install Hyper-V in Windows PowerShell (System Administrator) by typing Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Hyper-V -All and pressing Enter.
After the Hyper-V installation is complete, you need to press Y to restart your computer.
After enabling Hyper-V role, please connect Hyper-V VM to Internet correctly.
Hyper-V Manager is a virtual machine management tool that allows you to create, delete, and manage virtual machines. This part will introduce how to use Hyper-V Manager to create a Windows 10 virtual machine.
1. Open Hyper-V Manager, click Action at the top, select New >> Virtual Machine.
2. Click Next to the Specify Name and Location window, you can change the name of the new virtual machine and store the virtual machine in a different location, and then click Next.
3. In the Specify Generations window, you can select Generation 1 or Generation 2 virtual machines according to the actual situation, and click Next.
4. Specify the amount of memory and use Dynamic Memory, then configure the proper network and select Default Switch.
5. In Connect Virtual Hard Disk window, select a location and specify the size of virtual hard disk. Then go to Installation Options wizard, select Install an operating system from a bootable image file and then select the Windows 10 .iso file by hitting Browse. Click Next to create a Hyper-V virtual machine installed Windows 10.
6. Review the information and click Finish.
It’s fast to create a Windows 10 virtual machine by using Hyper-V Quick Create.
1. Enter Windows+S and type Hyper-V Quick Create.
2. Select Local Installation Source and locate the Windows 10 .iso file. Then click Create Virtual Machine. The whole process only takes several seconds to create a virtual machine with Windows 10 OS in Hyper-V.
You can edit the settings after creation. While using Windows 10 VM, do backup Hyper-V VM data. For enterprise, it is crucial to protect data security to avoid the unexpected situations such as outage, natural disaster, virus-attack or system crash……
Free Backup & Restore Hyper-V virtual machine
AOMEI Cyber Backup is a free Hyper-V backup tool that offers a powerful backup task for enterprise virtual machines. It supports Hyper-V in Windows 8/8.1/10/11, Windows Server/Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 and later version. With this professional software, you can enjoy these benefits forever.
Perpetual Free: no time limit for AOMEI Cyber Backup Free Edition.
Centralized Backup: backup virtual machines at host-level, eliminating agent installation on each VM, significantly simplifying management through central console.
Flexible backup strategy: create full/incremental backup of VM, and specify the resilient tracking time.
Fast disaster recovery: one-click to restore Hyper-V VM from a backup file without complicated configuration and reinstallation.
Reduce financial and reputational losses: backup multiple Hyper-V virtual machines automatically and available to perform hot backup.
Please hit the button below to download and use AOMEI Cyber Backup for free:
*You can choose to install this VM backup software on either Windows or Linux system.
3 steps to backup and restore VMs for free:
1. Download AOMEI Cyber Backup and add Hyper-V host.
2. Click Create Backup Task to create multiple VMware VM backups for free.
● Name the backup task and select Hyper-V Backup as an example.
● Specify a location to store virtual machine backup files.
● In Schedule window, it offers different backup methods (full/incremental backup) and time (daily/weekly/monthly by date/monthly by week).
3. Restore: recover the VM from any selected backup version, then click Restore to original location. The whole process is based on clicks without any complicated reinstallation and configuration.
AOMEI Cyber Backup always protects your virtual machines and business security with its efficient VMware backup solution. It also reduces business downtime and extra cost.
This article introduces how to create Windows 10 VM in Hyper-V environment using Hyper-V Manager or Quick Create. If you want to enable Hyper-V feature in Windows 10, remember to check your OS and hardware settings.
Besides, in Hyper-V, you can share files between physical machine and Windows 10 VM. For example, you can use Hyper-V PowerShell cmdlet, enhanced session mode, ect.