How to Run Steam Backup Game Files | Clear & Complete
Want to explore the exact process to backup and restore games in Steam? Then you must read this article! Also, one auto backup method is offered for you!
Gamers are likely familiar with Steam, the top PC gaming platform. While the video game industry has seen remarkable advancements, such as lifelike graphics and advanced game engines, a new challenge has emerged: the increasing size of game files. Popular titles like GTA V, Call of Duty: Warzone, Elder Scrolls Online, Forza Horizon 4, and the recent God of War release on PC now exceed 70GB.
To tackle this issue and free up PC storage space, one solution is to backup save files Steam. By creating backups, you can easily transfer large game files to an external HDD or SSD. When you're ready to play again, simply restore the game through Steam.
Steam’s backup and restore feature
Steam provides a convenient Backup and Restore feature for preserving installed game data. This user-friendly option safeguards your games from viruses, damage, or corruption when stored on secondary storage.
- However, it's important to note that access to backed-up game data is restricted, as Steam converts it into a special format.
- Additionally, Steam's backup feature might not be compatible with games using third-party installers or downloaders, especially common in MMO-style or third-party free-to-play titles. This tool exclusively works with games that entirely download, install, and patch through Steam.
If you are OK with the limitations of Steam. Let’s find out how to run Steam backup game files.
How to backup and restore programs Steam (Manually)
To know how Steam load backup files and restore it from backup, please follow the below guide.
Backup game via Steam backup feature
1. Go to your Steam library.
2. Right-click on the game's name and choose Properties...
3. Navigate to the Local Files tab and choose Create a backup copy of game files...
4. Select the games you want to back up by checking the boxes. Click Next to go.
5. Pick the destination folder for your backups (by default, they're in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Backups) and click Next.
6. Specify the backup file name and size for the media you're using. Click Next to begin the process.
7. Once done, select Open Archive Folder to manage or burn the backup files to removable media.
Restore from backup files in Steam
1. Open Steam and click on the Steam tab located in the top-left corner of the application. Then choose Backup and Restore Games...
2. Choose Restore Game Backup...
3. Locate the folder containing the backup files for the game.
Proceed through the Steam windows to complete the installation of the required games.
Auto way: how to backup and restore files in a better way🔥
As mentioned earlier, Steam's Backup and Restore feature doesn't support games downloaded, installed, or patched through third-party services. While a simple copy-paste can create a backup for these games, doing so individually can be time-consuming, especially for avid gamers with numerous titles and large game files. Additionally, the backup files occupy the same amount of storage as the source files.
For a more efficient solution, consider using professional freeware like AOMEI Backupper Standard to replace Steam save backup This tool not only automates the backup process for your batch of games but also compresses the image file, saving valuable storage space.
Now please download AOMEI Backupper Standard via the free and reliable link, and install it on your computer.
Best free Windows backup & restore software for personal use.
How to auto-backup files
If you prefer a manual backup of your Steam game installation files, the first step is to locate their storage location.
✦ On Windows systems, you can find them in the C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common folder.
✦ For macOS, check the ~Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common folder.
✦ Linux-based operating systems store these files in the ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common folder.
Step 1. Open this software and go to Backup > File Backup.
Step 2. Click Add File or Add Folder according to your needs. Choose the files or folders that you want to backup.
Step 3. Click the second box to select the backup destination.
Step 4. Click Schedule Backup to automate the file backup task. You can schedule backup in daily/weekly/monthly/event triggers/USB plug in mode.
Step 5. Confirm everything is OK and click Start Backup to backup files.
How to restore backup from previous backup
Step 1. You can click the Restore option and Select Task to find to image files.
Step 2. Choose the backup that you want to restore in the Backup List, after that click Next.
Step 3. Select a location, and then the program will restore these files to it. There are two options: Restore to original location or Restore to a new location, you could choose whichever one according to your needs. Click Start Restore to start this operation.
In this article, we share detailed steps to run Steam backup game files manually. Considering the limitations of Steam, you can switch to AOMEI Backupper Standard to enable auto backup. this software is user-friendly in both operation and interface, allowing you to backup everything within several clicks.