Files Missing after Windows 10 Update 2018/2019/2010
There are some cases that you might encountered:
Case 1: files missing after windows 10 2018 update (version 1809)
“Today, I update my Windows 10 with the Windows 10 October version 1809 update. However, I found all my files of 23 years in amount of 220GB were deleted somehow, files were located at C:/Users/rober/Documents/. It’s unbelievable, I have been using Microsoft products over 20 years, nothing like that that ever happened to me. This folder standing there with no files, I was so upset, please help me.”
Case 2: Windows 10 update deleted my files 2019
“last night i updated my Windows with Windows 10 2019 update, and i found all my files are gone this morning. I tried to everything to restore them, but didn’t work, what should i do, please help, thanks.”
Case 3: files missing after Windows 10 update 2020
“Windows 10 update deleting files, all my settings and files disappeared after the update, i have set to show hidden files, there is nothing. And i found that i am logged in an temporary profile, i need my files and settings back. Can anyone help?? ”
These situations may occur after installing a new Windows 10 update or upgrade from Windows 7/8 to Windows 10. How to fix Windows 10 update missing files problem? Don’t worry, see the following solutions.
let's have a glance for the content of the essay:
►1.1 Restart Your PC
►1.2 Show Hidden Files/Folders and Search
►1.3 Enable Windows 7/8 User Account
►1.4 Restore from Windows.old Folder
►1.5 Reliable Data Recovery Software - Recoverit
◊2. Powerful Prevention Measure
◊3. Brief Summary
Solutions: Recover Files after Windows 10 Update
There are several ways to restore Windows update deleted files 2018, 2019 or 2020, here they are:
1. Restart Your PC (Not Shut Down)
The simplest way is to restart your computer and log into your user account to see if your lost files or deleted files is available. To be clear, restart could be performed 4 times or so before the files visible, each time let Windows get to the Desktop then restart again, the restart will complete the Windows 10 update and restore all the original user accounts and files.
Because you are probably logged into a temporary user profile due to some errors after the Windows 10 update, and you should be logged into your user account under normal conditions. Please go to Start -> Settings -> Accounts -> Sync your settings to check.
If shows the message: You are logged on with a temporary profile. Roaming options are currently unavailable, which means you’re in temporary profile. Please restart to fix.
Or see a prompt: We can’t sign into your acount, this problem can often be fixed by signing out of your account and then signing back in. Please restart your PC and sign in again to fix according to the above way.
If it does not work, please create a new user account to save your files, or try the next solution.
2. Show Hidden Files/Folders, Then Search
Make sure you are not logged into a temporary user account, some files and folders might be hidden, and let them be visible, refer to the following steps:
1. Please press Windows + E key combination to open Windows File Explorer.
2. Click View on the toolbar, then tap Options to open Folder Options.
3. At the View tab, check the checkbox before the Show hidden files, folders, and drives at the Advanced settings, click Apply and OK.
Then Search for your files or folders, etc. If you still can’t find your files, please enable Windows 7/8 user account to try.
3. Enable Windows 7/8 User Account
You need to enable Windows 7/8 user account if you created a new user account after upgrade from Windows 7/8, a disable administrator account will not show your files. Here is how to enable the Windows 7/8 account:
1. Please input compmgmt.msc in Windows 10 Search box and hit enter to open Computer Management.
2. Then go Local Users and Groups -> Users -> Administrator, if the Administrator owns a down arrow icon, it’s been disabled.
To enable Windows 7/8 account:
1. Right click the Administrator account, choose Properties.
2. At General tab, uncheck Account is disabled option, click Apply and OK.
If you still can’t find your files, please try to restore from Windows.old folder.
4. Restore from Windows.old Folder
You will get an Windows.old folder typically in C:\ drive after upgrade Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10, and it can be used to rollback to previous Windows version. After 10 days the upgrade completed, the Windows.old folder will be automatically deleted. So, if you want to get back your Windows 10 update missing files, please restore these files from Windows.old folder as soon as possible before the Windows.old deleted.
1. Please go to C:\Windows.old\Users\YourUserName\.
2. Find the files and folders that you want to recovery.
3. Copy and paste to another location.
And Windows 10 update deleting file problem should be solved.
5. Reliable Data Recovery Software - Recoverit
This powerful data recovery software – Recoverit will recovery all deleted files including photos, videos, documents, and so forth, restores your data from all data loss scenarios. Recoverit brings a record-high data recovery rate and supports Windows operating system including Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP. Then next the detailed steps are listed below to help you to repair Windows 10 update missing files problem:
Before that, you could download the Recoverit software on your Windows 10. Then use it to recover the missing files with just 3 steps:
1. Choose Deleted Files Recovery mode on the main window.
2. Select a hard disk to restore lost files after Windows 10 update, and hit Start.
3. Then the program will automatically scan all your missing files on your computer. Tick the deleted files you want to restore, click Recover.
After a while, the Windows 10 update missing files problem will be repaired.
Powerful Prevention Measure to Against Lost Files after Windows 10 Update
It’s highly recommended to perform backups regularly in case of serious problems. The best free Windows backup and restore software – AOMEI Backupper Standard will do you a big favor, it will backup your critical files and folders, Windows operating system, partitions, entire hard disk to another location easily and safely. Then restore files or folders if required. Please download AOMEI Backupper Standard and have it a try.
Here is how to backup important files automatically in Windows 10 with AOMEI Backupper Standard:
1. Perform AOMEI Backupper, select Backup -> File Backup in turn.
2. Click + Add Folder or + Add File to choose the files or folders that you would like to backup.
3. Select a destination to save the files and folders.
4. Click Schedule -> General, set an interval to backup automatically, hit OK.
5. Press Start Backup -> Add the schedule and start backup now or Only add the schedule.
Once Windows 10 update missing files problem occurred, you could restore your files and folders with the file backup image easily. Besides, you could try file sync or real time file sync feature to copy file to safe location without compressing files. Or you could clone data partition to another location, migrate OS from HDD to SSD to speed up your computer, etc.
In this article, we offer you 5 ways to fix the file missing after Windows 10 update 2019/2020, plus 1 prevention measure to fight against the error. It’s quite easy to restore lost or deleted files after Windows 10 update. And the most important thing is developing good backup habits can reduce many unnecessary troubles in our daily life. So, take backups, enjoy your life. Fell free from data loss.