Free Hyper-V Server 2019 Backup Solution (2 Ways)
If you are using Hyper feature in your production environment and looking for efficient ways to avoid data loss and protect business security, you can backup your Hyper-V using the methods in this article.
Case: I want to backup Hyper-V Server 2019 for testing
I am testing the following scenario: on a physical machine I have installed Hyper-V Server 2019 and this is the host of 2 VMs. The one VM is a Domain Controller (Win Serv 2019) and on the other VM there is an auditing software (the OS is Win Serv 2019). What would you suggest for backing up these 2 VMs?
Hyper-V Server 2019 is a standalone, free product only including roles related to virtualization. It has an unlimited evaluation period and includes the same hypervisor technology as in Hyper-V role of Windows Server 2019.
Just like other versions of Hyper-V, backing up VMs is a critical task, especially when they carry some mission-critical workloads, or when you have to perform some risky operations. In fact, it's best to make regular backups to avoid any unwanted data loss.
Luckily, whether you install Hyper-V role on Windows Server 2019 or download Hyper-V Server 2019, you can create Hyper-V 2019 backup with some built-in features or third-party backup solution. Keep reading to get a clear answer.
6 basic rules of Hyper-V 2019 backup
Before making backup of Hyper-V Server 2019 virtual machines, here are some tips you should know:
1. If the density of VMs on the host is high, it is worth to plan the backup time to prevent high load on the productive systems in the working hours.
2. Do not forget to delete the unwanted Hyper-V backups. If you are regularly backing up Hyper-V VM, you should manage the multiple Hyper-V copies, and you can automatize backup management using scripts or your backup tools.
3. Prepare sufficient space for backups. The more often you make checkpoints, the more place you need in the backup storage. Typically, you can use the Data Deduplication technology (integrated into Windows Server) or the deduplication solution from the backup provider.
4. Better to delete the Hyper-V checkpoints and power off the virtual machine before backup.
5. Use 3-2-1 backup rule to protect virtual machines in Hyper-V Server 2019.
6. If you are running Hyper-V Server 2019 on Hyper-V and run into issues starting new VMs you may need to shut down and enable nested virtualization for that VM: Set-VMProcessor -VMName "Hyper-V Server 2019" -ExposeVirtualizationExtensions $true
How to perform Hyper-V 2019 backup (2 ways)
In Windows Server 2019 or Hyper-V Server 2019, there are multiple methods to backup Hyper-V virtual machines such as exporting Hyper-V VM on Hyper-V Manager or using Windows Server Backup. Meanwhile, for Hyper-V host backup, it’s not necessary to backup Hyper-V host since there is no direct way to back up host and reconfiguration is quick and easy. So this part will focus on how to back up Hyper-V 2019 VMs with Windows Server Backup and a powerful Hyper-V backup software.
Way 1. Hyper-V 2019 backup using Windows Server Backup
Windows Server Backup is available both on Windows Server 2012 (and later) and on Hyper-V Server. You can use WSB via the graphic backup/restore wizard or the wbadmin command-line tool.
1. Access to Windows Server Backup, select Backup Schedule to create an automatic backup.
2. On Select Backup Configuration wizard, you can choose to backup Full server or select Custom to backup Hyper-V certain files. If you select Custom, then go to specify the items. Click Next.
3. Select Add Items to backup Hyper-V virtual machines. Click OK.
4. On Specify the Backup Time wizard, set up when and how often to backup Hyper-V virtual machines.
5. On Specify Destination Type wizard, 3 options to store the Hyper-V backups. Select Backup to a hard disk that is dedicated for backups as an example. Then click Show All Available Disks to select the dedicated disk.
6. Confirm the information and click Finish.
So, many users search for a professional backup program to perform Hyper-V backups.
As we mentioned, if you are managing multiple virtual machines in Hyper-V Server 2019, you could need a third party backup software to perform Hyper-V 2019 backups.
AOMEI Cyber Backup is a free Hyper-V backup tool. It's ideal for all sizes of business. With this professional backup software, you can simply create and manage multiple Hyper-V 2019 backups from a centralized console, and it that allows you to enjoy the following benefits for free.
Perpetual Free: no time limit for AOMEI Cyber Backup Free Edition.
Easy-to-use: simply connect to VMware or Hyper-V device and manage VM backups through central console instead of installing agent to each VM, and offer an intuitive interface to create backups.
Schedule automatic backup: automates the backup process of VMs, monitors the status and sends email notifications if there's an error.
Flexible backup strategies: protect VM data with full/incremental backup methods.
Instant disaster recovery: recovery the VM backup from any point and easily restore the VM to another host without any complicated reinstallation and configuration.
Please hit the button below to download and use AOMEI Cyber Backup for free:
*You can choose to install this VM backup software on either Windows or Linux system.
Always protect Hyper-V 2019 with free backups
1. Download AOMEI Cyber Backup and add your Hyper-V device.
2. From the main interface, select Backup Task >> Create New Task.
✦ Target: select backup destination as local or network. You can also connect an external hard drive to VM to store H✦yper-V 2019 backups.
✦ Schedule: choose the full/differential backups and set up when and how often (daily/weekly/monthly) to execute the backup plan.
✦ Click Start Backup to complete the Hyper-V 2019 backup plan. You can monitor the backup process in the main interface.
3. Restore: select restore content and target. It allows you to recover a VM to its previous state simply. The whole process is based on a few clicks.
✦ Select a backup version and choose to Restore to original location.
✍ While the Free Edition covers most of the VM backup needs, you can also upgrade to Premium Edition to enjoy:
✦ Batch VM Backup: Batch backup large numbers of VMs managed by vCenter Server or standalone ESXi hosts.
✦ Backup Cleanup: Configure retention policy to auto delete the old backup files and save storage space.
✦ Restore to new location: Easily make a clone of a virtual machine in the same or another datastore/host, without reinstalling or configuring a new VM.
AOMEI Cyber Backup helps protect multiple Hyper-V virtual machines for free and is easy to restore Hyper-V VM in case of disaster. It is ideal for you to build a secure virtualized environment.
This article provides you with the safe and effective Hyper-V 2019 backup solutions. If you have a small virtual environment, you can use Windows Server Backup to back up Hyper-V 2019. However, for multiple Hyper-V backup, AOMEI Cyber Backup offers the automatic backup and cleanup plan that saves disk space and time cost as well as protecting your virtual environment comprehensively.
With a free Hyper-V backup solution, you can protect your Hyper-V virtual machines from data-loss caused by natural disasters, malware, power failure, etc.