Want to Transfer Messages from iPhone to iPhone Using iTunes?
The traditional way to transfer data between two iPhones is using iTunes or iCloud, after all, it’s the official utility provided by Apple. Now instead of transferring all old iPhone data to the new iPhone, you just want to transfer messages that carry various communications with family, loved ones, friends, and colleagues. And because of the following reasons, you want to transfer text messages to new iPhone using iTunes instead of iCloud:
● Different Apple IDs. You have created a new
Apple account for your new iPhone to get a fresh start.
● Poor network connection. You have no stable Wi-Fi network to complete the sync/backup/restore.
● The 5 GB free storage space is far from enough to backup the data you want.
● You have tried using iCloud but find that messages didn’t transfer to new iPhone properly.
All in all, you do not want to transfer messages from iPhone to iPhone with iCloud but prefer using iTunes. Well, keep reading to get the detailed steps.
How to Transfer Messages from iPhone to iPhone with iTunes?
You do not have to worry about the storage space or the network connection if you decide to transfer messages from iPhone to iPhone using iTunes. You should first make a backup for the messages on the old iPhone and then restore the backup to new iPhone. However. The iTunes way also has its shortcomings:
● It will backup and restore the messages
along with other supported file types together. You cannot only backup/restore the
● All the existed data on the new iPhone will be erased and replaced with all the data as well as settings from your old iPhone.
● Since iTunes will backup and restore all iPhone content so it may take a long time to complete the process.
Actually, besides iTunes, there’s another tool that provides an easier way to transfer messages only without data erase. You can click here to jump to the related part to learn more. If you still want to use iTunes to transfer messages, see the steps below.
Steps to Transfer Messages from iPhone to iPhone with iTunes
1. Download and install the latest version of iTunes on computer.
2. Connect the source iPhone to computer via the USB cable.
3. Click the Device tab > Select This Computer > Click Back Up Now to start the backup.
4. When the backup is finished, disconnect the old iPhone and plug in your new iPhone.
5. Click Restore Backup… at the Summary page on iTunes > Choose the backup that contains the messages you want to transfer > Click Restore to confirm.
Transfer Messages from iPhone to iPhone without Data Loss
If you prefer a no-data-loss way to transfer messages from iPhone to iPhone, AOMEI MBackupper is the way to go. It’s one professional iPhone backup & restore tool that offers a more direct way to transfer data between iDevices.
It will transfer messages via USB connection and there is no problem to transfer messages between two iPhones using different Apple accounts.
Two steps to complete the message transfer:
① Backup iMessages/text messages on old iPhone
② Restore the backup files to new iPhone
You can select the messages you want to transfer. Most of all, there is no need to reset your new iPhone and it will not erase any existing data on device.
AOMEI MBackupper supports most iPhone models from iPhone 4 to the latest iPhone 11/SE 2020/12 and would be perfectly compatible with the latest iOS 14. Download, install and launch the tool on your computer and follow the steps below to transfer messages to new iPhone.
1. Connect your old iPhone to computer via the USB cable > Enter the passcode on iPhone so AOMEI MBackupper can access your device.
2. Click Custom Backup > Choose Messages to select the iMessages and text messages you want to transfer > Click OK to confirm.
3. Choose the storage path > Click Start Backup to start backing up your messages.
4. Unplug your old iPhone and then connect your new iPhone to computer > Go to the Backup Management screen > Click the Advanced option and choose Restore.
5. You can click the icon to preview and select the contacts you need. If everything is OK, click Start Restore to transfer messages to new iPhone.
Note: You can also repeat the steps to transfer contacts, photos, music, videos from iPhone to another one.
If you choose to transfer messages from iPhone to iPhone using iTunes, it will transfer messages and other content together to the new device. In this case, why not pick AOMEI MBackupper to help you only transfer messages? Besides, it will not erase any data on the new iPhone.