Can I backup my disabled iPhone?
I dropped my iPhone, and now I can't unlock it with a passcode. But I can see when I get a phone call. So it is still working but the screen is damaged. I have thousands of photos on this iPhone. Then I'm wondering if I can back the disabled iPhone. Thanks.
- Question from discussion.apple.com
Is it possible to backup a disabled/locked iPhone?
When using iPhone, we will encounter the situation of being disabled. Because we have no ways to access the inside of the phone, we do not know what would happen to it, while the information of iPhone should be protected, especially when the important data and information are stored on the mobile phone. if a little care has been taken in advance, the data can be no longer damaged or lost. Therefore, we should learn how to back up data when iPhone is disabled. You would find how to do that in the following passage.
How to backup disabled iPhone with iTunes
First, we need to know the two situations when the iPhone is disabled:
● 1. iPhone says it has been disabled for XX minutes. In the end, you can try to enter the password to unlock your phone.
● 2. completely disabled
The following content describes the backup methods for the two situations.
＃1. If iPhone is disabled in the first case, you can try to enter the correct password when it asks. If you enter the correct password, you can simply back it up to iCloud or another hard disk. If you make a mistake, you might need to go to the second case, which is another method I will discuss below.
＃2. iPhone displays "iPhone terminated". How to recover iPhone when it happens? You might need to back up or erase iPhone data by using iTunes and logging into iCloud.
1. If you want to back up or erase data, you must need the help of computer. Download and open iTunes on the computer and connect iPhone to computer with a data cable.
2. After iPhone is connected to computer, iTunes will automatically recognize your iPhone. After entering iTunes, you will see the interface as shown above. Click "Backup" to start backing up your mobile phone data.
3. Wait for the backup to complete. After that, we can select "Restore Backup" in iTunes to restore the original data into iPhone.
How to backup disabled iPhone without iTunes
If you don't want to backup your iPhone with iTunes, FoneTool is a great iTunes alternative for you. It is a free professional backup software for iPhone.
Easily Backup: FoneTool requires a simple operation to complete the task. It could be used to back up photos, videos, music, messages, and contacts within just a few steps.
Preview Files: Whenever you back up or restore your phone, you can preview and select the files to get what you need.
Customized Backup: You would be given options in every step. For example, when you back up the photos, you can select just some of them rather than the entire folder and you could also do this when restoring your iPhone.
Selective Restoration: It allows you to restore the backup file to another device including iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
Widely Compatible: It supports most iPhone models from iPhone 4 to the latest iPhone 14 and would be perfectly compatible with the latest iOS 16/15 so that your iPhone’s backup file could be restored to most iPhones.
Let's take a look at the detailed backup steps.
Step 1. Free download, install and launch it on a Windows computer. And connect your iPhone to that computer via USB cable.
Step 2. Run FoneTool, and click "Phone Backup" > Choose “Selective Backup” and click "Get Started" to enter the next screen.
Step 3. Click an icon to enter Selection.
Step 4. Select the files you want to back up and click the blue button OK.
Step 5. After the target files are chosen, you can change the location path for the to-be-backup files.
Then wait for the backup to get finished. You can easily find your backup files by clicking Positioning in Backup Management.
Now you have known how to backup disabled iPhone without trusting computer. When you can't tap trust on your iPhone, Windows Explorer can't access your iPhone. You can still use iTunes and FoneTool to backup your iPhone. But by contrast, FoneTool is more easy-to-use. And you can select the file type to backup with it. This tool is suitable for most conditions.
FoneTool Runs Perfectly on
- iOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPadOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPhone 14/14 Pro (Max), 13/13 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 12/12 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max)
- iPhone X/XR/XS/XS Max, iPhone 8/8 Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6/6s/6s Plus
- iPhone SE (1st, 2nd, 3rd generations)
- iPod touch 1/2/3/4/5/6/7
- All models of iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad Pro and iPad